Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By tigerspawn

Thread: *Chest Workout Questions*

626Cuda is offline New Member

*Chest Workout Questions*

This is a two part question, mostly relating to chest workouts, specifically DB press/flys

1. keeping the shoulder blades pinched and squeezing the pec at the top of the rep.

I feel like I get a better squeeze if I roll my shoulder forward, but I have noticed my front delts are getting bigger. I am getting a sore feeling after workouts, but mostly my outer chest area. Does this just take to get a "feel" for the squeeze when you shoulders are pinched

2. The mind-muscle connection. I was attempting this the other day (chest) and really trying to focus on the chest pulling the weight. My question, what does it feel like to those who can do it? I felt as though I could get my chest flexed/squeezed during the whole ROM, but I am not sure if that what it actually feels like?

Any input would be great.

Dougiefresh7707 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 626Cuda View Post
    This is a two part question, mostly relating to chest workouts, specifically DB press/flys

1. keeping the shoulder blades pinched and squeezing the pec at the top of the rep.

I feel like I get a better squeeze if I roll my shoulder forward, but I have noticed my front delts are getting bigger. I am getting a sore feeling after workouts, but mostly my outer chest area. Does this just take to get a "feel" for the squeeze when you shoulders are pinched

2. The mind-muscle connection. I was attempting this the other day (chest) and really trying to focus on the chest pulling the weight. My question, what does it feel like to those who can do it? I felt as though I could get my chest flexed/squeezed during the whole ROM, but I am not sure if that what it actually feels like?

Any input would be great.
    Idk If I understand right but keep shoulders back a little and don't have your arms straight out keep elbows bent and go really slow on the negative keeping your chest squeezed as much as possible and repeat also do it hit style look it up. Decline bench to fail hit upper pectoral very good for me also.

tigerspawn is offline Senior Member
    I feel like I get a better squeeze if I roll my shoulder forward,
    Doing this can cause rotator injuries and should be avoided.
    baseline_9 likes this.

Also cable flyes work we'll for me and feels better on the sholder.

Yea, I tried it again today...no go. I just cant get that good squeeze with my shoulders pinched. I tried it with light weight and then made it happen. I think I just need to start over with my form.

Yea, I tried it again today...no go. I just cant get that good squeeze with my shoulders pinched. I tried it with light weight and then made it happen. I think I just need to start over with my form.
    Try the flye machine to get a good feel for it that's how I got the good squeeze

baseline_9 is offline The Transformer ~VET~Recognized Staff Winner - $100
    Don't roll the shoulders in the bench press.....

You loose tension off the chest, risk injury and it will enhance that gorilla look you already have going on in ur AVI (shoulders slumped to the front)....

Retract the shoulders (pull the arm into its socket) and keep in that tight position... In this position you can lock out and keep tension on the chest
    Don't be a 'Bro'..... Believe nothing....Question everything

Baseline - Working to phase out this generation of Bro-Scientists

Stop over thinking nutrition - If you want something to think about download Myfitnesspal and learn how to count macros

cj111 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Arch your back keep your ass down and feet on the floor. Don't lock out your elbows at the top of the rep.

Got it, will restructure my form for improvement.

Great mind to muscle chest technique. For a perfect fly movement

Go to your peck deck. Only hold on to the machine with your hands in a VERTICLE position. Ignore the pads n handles that are on most machines. If you have to. Raise the seat. Elbows back so they are pretty much lvl with shoulders and hands.

Concentrate on the feel of the movements. That lock in your arms. Personally. I flat out refuse to straighten my arms at the top of flies. Thats triceps at that point. Once you get that perfect movemnt use bench flies AND CABLE FLIES. This latter will give u the tension at the end of your flies.

Another point so u dont like so many end up shallow up top. If u cant attach the cables low on the machine n kneel down. Then youll have to lean quite forward.

N forget what ppl see u lift. Only feel that stretch, flex and sqeeezzzzzeeeee.

Good luck

Thread Information