Thread: Plate Tradition

lloyd_cannon is offline Associate Member

Question Plate Tradition

I know this isnt about lifting really so if the mod feels he needs to remove it go ahead.

I have always wondered where the tradition of turning plates to the inside came from I learned it from my dad personally and he learned from his coach. But if anyone has any idea where it all started please post!

thank you for replies

shannah is offline New Member
    This is in response to having the plates being turned around.
    The reason I always did it is because of the fact that the plates have lips, and by turning them inside out you have a handle to hold on to.
    But in my gym, we have the Ivanco plates with grips all around the side so it's very easy to pick it up...
    That's my reasoning...
    I hope it helped you out.

TheDfromGC is offline Anabolic Member
    i love watching these guys at the gym go out of their way to turn plates around on the bar. just the other day i seen this guy unload 2 plates off a bar and turn them around thinking it will be lighter or something, someday they will realize it does not matter whatsoever

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    Ya'll don't turn the plates around?!?!?!? Oh man....BAD JU-JU. You will anger the gym gods if you don't. Everyone has there little perks, at my gym the weights have handles...looks like a notch cut out to grip the weights by. Well when I load the bar all the notches have to line up so you can see trhough them all.....stupid I know, but it's my perk dammit!

David B. is offline Member
    Originally posted by BIG TEXAN
    Ya'll don't turn the plates around?!?!?!? Oh man....BAD JU-JU. You will anger the gym gods if you don't. Everyone has there little perks, at my gym the weights have handles...looks like a notch cut out to grip the weights by. Well when I load the bar all the notches have to line up so you can see trhough them all.....stupid I know, but it's my perk dammit!
    Don't get me started on obsessive-compulsive disorder in the gym.

I know it doesn't make any difference at all, but I always mount the first pair of plates with the flange going inside, and then all subsequent plates with the flange going outside. That's what seems to work best for people with opposible thumbs...

Furthermore, I'm so obsessive that if I have a York plate on one side, I've gotta have an identical York plate on the other side too. If I don't it bugs me.

The worst, though, is that if I'm on the bench press or incline press, if the bench and bar aren't parallel to the ceiling grid, I can't cope. It's like seeing a crooked picture on the wall.

--dave

Originally posted by David B.

The worst, though, is that if I'm on the bench press or incline press, if the bench and bar aren't parallel to the ceiling grid, I can't cope. It's like seeing a crooked picture on the wall.

--dave
    I feel your pain, my brother.

Yung Wun is offline Member
    this is too funny

Fullback57 is offline Associate Member
    OMG........this is like a dream come true, its almost like a support group, i honestly thought i was one of the only ones that was really nit picky about little things like plates having to be turned to the inside, bars having to be perfectly straight, etc, etc........we should get our own t-shirts made up or something!!!!

shannah is offline New Member
    ARE YOU GUYS FOR REAL?!
    That whole thing about having the bar line up with the grids on the wall is one of the things i hate most. They HAVE to line up, either parallel or perpendicular to the lines..otherwise it throws my whole lift off.
    Another this if im at an incline bench, and i can see half of myself in the mirror, but can't see the other half due to somebody in the way or there is a break in the mirror, that'll throw it off too.
    I'm happy there are other people on AS like this, I felt as though I was one of the very few...lol. good times.
    Thx

.....stupid I know, but it's my perk dammit!
    "Perk?" Don't you mean "quirk?"

--dave--

You got me........ when at work and being on the phone with "A"-hole vendors and trying to type this, grammer and words can be tosses around. Dammit though...you know what I meant!

flexgolf is offline Member
    i dont know what to call it...but if someone leaves a machine to walk alllll the way across the gym to ge a drink of water, leaving a towell to 'hold the machine down' while theyre gone. i go nuts, cant stand it

buy a WATER BOTTLE!!!!!

withoutd0ubt is offline Associate Member
    Originally posted by flexgolf
    i dont know what to call it...but if someone leaves a machine to walk alllll the way across the gym to ge a drink of water, leaving a towell to 'hold the machine down' while theyre gone. i go nuts, cant stand it

buy a WATER BOTTLE!!!!!
    AMEN BROTHER

wow popular post where have i been

I just never thought it served a practicall purpose.
    I have the ghetto weights at my high school all mix and match so i have the same quirk that they all have to match on the bar it is hardsometimes have to walk around and pick em out.

when my newb friends come in they always put the plates facing out and I cant lift like that. It doesnt make it lighter really but to the mind it does and thats all that matters.

I also have to have the benches and mahines alined with the rubber mats on the floor and if a bench is between 2 mirrors i cant use it just weird.

I just have to have these or I flip out. another is the freshman kid trying to push press 135 lbs that pisses me off too and they are going to kill themselfs so I worry and cant lift.

hellapimpin is offline Anabolic Member
    hahaha..this is pretty funny, im obsessive compulsive about certain things at the gym..but you guys made me realize that i do alot of the same things you do without realizing it

When I'm re-racking plates, I always make sure that like-branded plates are paired together on the tree. And always with the flange out.

--dave

Juggernaut is offline AR Jester
    Alright, I just have to jump in on this one. I am really shocked to read all the things you guy's do because I have some of the same quirks myself and thought I was the ONLY one who did them. Thanks for making me feel normal (whatever that is). My training partner tell's me all the time that I'm just too strange.

Here's the one that just drives her insane; I have to have equal number of plates on the rack. If there are five 25's on one side and only three on the other I'll walk around and gather the remaining plates from other racks and bring them over to the machine I'm using and put them on the rack. Oh, and thay all have to be facing the same direction.

And the deal with leaving a towel on a bar and walking across the room to get a drink of water........I'm with you on that one Farmer. I've even brought water bottles (I get them free all the time) out of my locker and hunted the dude down and give it to him. I ask you, how in the hell can anyone workout without water within an arms reach?

Juggs

Originally posted by Juggernaut2148

Here's the one that just drives her insane; I have to have equal number of plates on the rack. If there are five 25's on one side and only three on the other I'll walk around and gather the remaining plates from other racks and bring them over to the machine I'm using and put them on the rack. Oh, and thay all have to be facing the same direction.

I've done that on occasion. I must've been a librarian in a past life.

--dave

flexgolf is offline Member
    Originally posted by lloyd_cannon

I also have to have the benches and mahines alined with the rubber mats on the floor and if a bench is between 2 mirrors i cant use it just weird.

that is akward as hell. ill move the bench if nothing else is open.

Well when I load the bar all the notches have to line up so you can see trhough them all.....stupid I know, but it's my perk dammit!
    He he he join the club

You see we have Iron Grip plates with "handle holes" in them at my gym, and the plates are not round but have little flat sides.

The one thing I am compulsive about is with the 45lbs plates at my gym, wether on a bar, machine or on the tree/rack, I MUST line up the "sides" of the plates and the grip holes.

Ah well

Red

RED.... those are the type of plates I was unsuccesfully trying to describe. And yes the grips and corners have to all line up or I go nuts.

RED.... those are the type of plates I was unsuccesfully trying to describe. And yes the grips and corners have to all line up or I go nuts.
    God I'm glad we don't have those, or I'd be in full Obsessive-Compulsive mode for every workout.

--dave

brad fuel is offline Junior Member
    hey there is some validity to keeping with the same type of plates. At my gym they have 2 types or brands. Me and my friend were kinda wondering why one is harder to lift than the other so us being young and stupid carried the 45lb plate to the scale and measured it. lol. But it was worth it cuz one was heavier by about 2lbs. We prolly looked so stupid hahah. Now i stick with one brand.

yeah and that Bench/Ceiling thing must be parallel

Devourer is offline Senior Member
    my friend bought a local gym recently and he actually went around and weighed every 45 in the place and then color coded the plates that weighed the same. we now have four different colored 45's.

jarrett is offline Senior Member
    screw that plate thing at my gym we have rubber band weights and flex rods screw all that heavy shit!! i thought ya'll were tring to train right!!

i think only way is with free weights

Originally posted by jarrett
    screw that plate thing at my gym we have rubber band weights and flex rods screw all that heavy shit!! i thought ya'll were tring to train right!!
    Quit trying to promote your bowflex that's in your living room.

Quit trying to promote your bowflex that's in your living room.
    haha viva la resistance'

Thread Information