Domestic is offline Associate Member

Intense Biking / Running for Cardio?

i was thinking of getting a bike and start doing moutian biking for cardio instead of running. i have alot of moutians that are pathed for ATVs and i think it would be a great work out to bike up them. maybe 20miles a day on a bike instead of running 5miles? take alot of pressure off my rite calve cuz its fucked up.

think that would be a good substitute for running? 20miles a day on a bicycle.

Pheedno is offline Respected Member
    Wouldn't need 20miles. It would be a good replacement at about 7-10 miles. Allthough I think 5 running is excessive

Yung Wun is offline Member
    might wanna drop some clicks on the bike
    i agree with Pheedno 7-10 is a good range
    i think a more fun way of doing cardio to

painintheazz is offline Anabolic Member
    Variety is good, 20 does sound a bit high but if you are enjoying yourself go for it, just make sure you get some whey and dextrose in you after that long of a period to make sure you don't get too catabolic.

Pain

well, my Post-Work Out Meal consists of:

6oz Turkey Breast = 40g Protein
    1 serving ISO Pure = 50g Protein
    3oz Honey Ham = 15g Protein
    1oz Cheeder Cheese = 1g Protein
    5g of L-Glutamine

and cardio doesn't bother me. i can run all day long.... i'm just doing so much so i can burn excess fat quicker. i read that 1 memeber dropped his Carbs to 100 - 150g a day and did just over 20miles per week of Cardio and lost 30 - 40lbs in 8 weeks.

well, i'm doing 0 - 50g of Carbs per day and doing 31.5miles of cardio per week so i should drop that much week in shorter time.

painintheazz is offline Anabolic Member
    Damn that is a lot of protein, I doubt your body is using all that at one sitting, IMO it would be better to cut that number down and get some quick digesting carbs in you (even if you are cutting carbs are fine post workout)

Pain

yea, my bad - i don't take ISO during post-work out. i dunno why i put that. that comes with Meal #4 and Meal #5

solidj55 is offline Member
    If you live in McDowell County then I know youve got some damn hill bro, I would go for 10 miles give or take.

Jphill1301 is offline Junior Member
    From an anatomy and phisology perspective running is much better when trying to do cardio. Your heart rate peaks at a much higher rate sooner and you burn more calories and fat, depending on your exercise level.
    You can burn the same amount of calories depending on intensity and duration. Simply for every step in intensity you go up the shorter the activity. But, for max fat burn you do not need to exceed 65% of maximum effort. I know its hard to judge 65% but depending on your cardio level its a little more then a jog for over 20 min, and can be broken up into consecutive intervals. Past 65% you start going into your glycogen reserves for fast energy. Like in weight training (short burst of energy) Fat cannot be converted into energy as quickly as carbs can so your body will get its energy the most efficient way.
    Biking is a good idea if you wanna do alot of it. It is good in the fact that it will keep your HR raised for a prolonged period of time, and it is easier on the joints.

slecaz is offline New Member
    Originally posted by Domestic
    well, my Post-Work Out Meal consists of:

6oz Turkey Breast = 40g Protein
    1 serving ISO Pure = 50g Protein
    3oz Honey Ham = 15g Protein
    1oz Cheeder Cheese = 1g Protein
    5g of L-Glutamine

and cardio doesn't bother me. i can run all day long.... i'm just doing so much so i can burn excess fat quicker. i read that 1 memeber dropped his Carbs to 100 - 150g a day and did just over 20miles per week of Cardio and lost 30 - 40lbs in 8 weeks.

well, i'm doing 0 - 50g of Carbs per day and doing 31.5miles of cardio per week so i should drop that much week in shorter time.
    No offense man, but this routine is non-productive. Too much protein at one sitting. You want 30 -60 grams per meal. Where are the post workout carbs? Post workout carbs replinish glycogen levels and are not stored as excess energy. 0-50 grams per day of carbs? You will have no growth and will lose muscle with this. The cardio you are looking to do may be good for training but terrible for fat loss. Too intense to mobilize fat. Cardio for fat loss should include interval heart rates. Walking on an incline for four minutes at 4 MPH then 3 minutes at 2.5 MPH for forty minutes will mobilize fat. All you will do here is eat the muscle you have gained.

yea i know man but i'm not really worried bout muscle mass. i can put the muscle back on in no time. and i don't take that much protein at one time. the most i take is about 80g and thats around 4th or 5th meal.

and for post-work out Carbs, i drink 1 cup of Gatorade which has about 14g of Carbs.

Thread Information