bronos is offline New Member

Newbie here, 1 month in. What am I doing wrong? (Not using anything)

Hey guys,

I'm 19, 6' 2", weigh in at 215lbs and I've been trying really hard to gain mass but it just doesn't seem like I'm making any progress. I'm scared to do deadlifts and squats in the gym. I have no idea what I'm doing. Am I not lifting heavy? Eating enough? Can someone point me to the right direction? All I did was lose fat and went from a 36" waist to a 34" waist. I really wanted to gain mass before school starts up again but a month is already gone. Can someone please recommend a diet/exercise plan for me? I'm new to lifting but not new to losing weight. I know how to lose it. I went from 290lbs since June 2012-January2013 and have been 215lbs ever since. It's been a struggle to lose more.

Oh I'm not on any steroids or anything, was just wondering if I could get advice from experience people.

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Newbie here, 1 month in. What am I doing wrong? (Not using anything)-comparing.jpg   Newbie here, 1 month in. What am I doing wrong? (Not using anything)-comparingfront.jpg   Newbie here, 1 month in. What am I doing wrong? (Not using anything)-comparingside.jpg  

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    What are you doing wrong?

I'm not even sure what you ARE doing.

At a general level, you are not eating properly and lifting properly.

although you have made great progress in weight reduction, you should know that you have already done the "easy" stuff. For each incremental bf% reduction, it gets harder and harder.

Suggest going to the nutrition section and posting your meal plan. make sure you include your macros per meal and macros per day, include calories and your TDEE.

and since you didn't mention any cardio, I'll suggest 4x a week at 45 minutes per day.

It's a lot of work, isnt' it??

Congratulations (so far...)

---Roman

Quote Originally Posted by bronos View Post
    trying really hard to gain mass but it just doesn't seem like I'm making any progress. I'm scared to do deadlifts and squats in the gym.
    That sums up your post right there. Start doing squats. Start out with an empty bar and progress by adding ten pounds per workout. Deadlifts are good, too.

Post up your workout.

I have no idea what I'm doing.
    Ok, we'll help. Post up your workout.
    Am I not lifting heavy?
    How would we know? You do not tell us. Anyway, it does not really matter when you start out. Any lifting is more than you were doing before. The important thing is that you keep progressing, that is, adding reps, sets or weights every workout if possible.
    Eating enough?
    How would we know? Do you want us to guess? Post up your diet. I recommend:
    8 eggs, half cup of oats (plain, with very little, if any milk), one slice of while grain toast, and tea. No juice. No sugar.
    Three more meals, each with half a pound of chicken, a cup of brown rice, and a spinach salad.
    Cottage cheese with almonds before bed.
    If you want to drink a protein shake, bring it with you to the gym and drink it only while you are working out.
    Can someone point me to the right direction?
    I think I just did.
    All I did was lose fat and went from a 36" waist to a 34" waist.
    Why is this a bad thing? Judging by the pictures, you have even more fat to lose yet.

Post up your workout, and we will be happy to help.

Otherwise, do the mass builders. Bench press. Incline press. Squats. Leg sled. Deadlifts. Pullups. T Bar rows. Military press. Barbell curls. Lying tricep extension. Shrugs. Do not forget to work on things like your calves, or they will lag forever.

ObviousDecoy is offline New Member
    If you are afraid to squat and deadlift then get a trainer. If that's not an option read starting strength, watch youtube videos, start light and record you lifts so you can watch later and make adjustments.

If you are careful and take it slow its really hard to hurt yourself.

Johnno is offline Junior Member
    I am no expert by a long shot, in fact I'm sure these guys would put us in the same category! But as for squats and dead lift I agree with just starting with the bar and work on getting your technique right. Technique,especially for these two exercises can mean the difference between success or a wheelchair!! Once the weights start going up. JUst my 2 cents. Good luck

Thread Information