bones93 is offline Junior Member

how many sets for traps....

Im currently doing 4 sets on shoulder day of Hammer Strength shrugs....I think I need to add in more sets but was just curious on some recomendations...

withoutd0ubt is offline Associate Member
    what else do you do on the day that you work traps

AbsolutelyLethal is offline Associate Member
    Ive been doing this for shoulders and traps with good results...

*Dumbbell shoulder press on a flat bench(that way you cant cheat and lean back)
    *Lateral Raises(alternate weekly bent arm in front and "straight" arm to side)
    *Rear Pec Deck
    *Upright Rows
    *Front Barbell Shrugs
    *Rear Barbell Shrugs
    *Sometimes Seated Machine Shrugs if im feeling saucy...

KeyMastur is offline VET
    The Hammer Strength Shrug machine - what does that look like ??

Back in World's I was using the Dead Lift machine. Has 2 handles, one more narrow than the other. 2 spots for plates.

I'd use that, then superset with some upright rows.

AL - you could throw in some scapula pinches with your shoulder workout. Maybe superset it with the rear pec dec.

BOUNCER is offline Retired Vet
    How long have you been training your traps?. The majority of people notice quick gains in their traps since their a large muscle covered with very little fat and so any muscular gains show quickly.

4 sets done heavy and intense should be enough for your traps, like most muscle groups don't get into complicated routines in the early stages, simple barbell or dumbell shrugs done on your back day should be enough. And on shoulder day upright rows will hit those traps good too, so you see your hitting them pretty good. Throw in deadlifts and you can see why there's no need to make it a complicated exercise!.

One word of caution, big traps look impressive on a big man with big shoulders, but if you've narrow shoulders gaining bigger trapper will make you look narrower. So remember to balance out your traps with the rest of your shoulders otherwise it will look shit.

Domestic is offline Associate Member
    when i first started working out, the only thing i did to work my traps was Barbell Military Presses.. my shoulders looked like Goldberg's. then i started doing shrugs and they kinda fell down on my back where they belong. now they're not big like Goldberg's (unless i flex) but they are puffed out on my back and look like an 'ass' on my back. LOL

4 sets of Barbell Shrugs should be good. 2 or 3 sets of Heavey Dumbbell Shrugs should be good. work each trap indiviually with heavier weight. also, make sure you keep the Barbell Military Press heavy. your shoulders will get huge!!!

bones93 is offline Junior Member
    I am doing them on shoulder day.....routine looks like this...

Seated DB military.3x 6-10
    side laterals.3x 6-10
    bent over lateral raise 3x10

Hammer shrugs....4x10
    I was doing upright rows also but I have a bad wrist and it hurts when I do these....I see some guys where you can really see their traps from behind as well as front. I dont think mine are as impressive from behind. Maybe just need some time...
    Been trining for about 2 years now...
    thanks for the help...any more suggestions appreciated...\

BOUNCER is offline Retired Vet
    Guys if your experiencing wrist pain while doing upright rows consider doing them with an EZ curl bar. But if you go heavy you may find that you've to stack more smaller plates as working with large plates can mean you'll bang your elbows because of the shorter bar.

Thread Information