Thread: Gym Rant

Archangel230 is offline Junior Member

Angry Gym Rant

Sorry, but I just gotta get this off my chest. So today I go to the gym to work back. My routine is pretty basic - mainly deads, bent over rows, pull-ups, ... So I am doing my deadlifts and I was lifting pretty heavy weight for me (550 Ibs for a few good solid form reps with continuous tension). After I finish with the set some old guy with a 50 inch waste and no muscle developement (You know those guys who are reliving their high school glory days) comes up to me like I challanged him or something. He says "How many more sets" I say just one and I'll make it quick" He then says, "when you're done leave the weight on, I'm doing shrugs and I'll be using alot more weight than you. Someday you'll be as strong as me if you work at it" - this is what he actually said. Now normally I would do what I usually do and look the other way and not pay any attention but I don't know what it was, I just had to speak up. So of course I wait for him to do his set. He puts about 600 pounds on the bar and manages to do what I would call 1/8 reps (he looked like he was having a seizure) So I walk up to him and say "how come you don't use full range of motion." He is all flustered and for a while had no answer, but then he says "when I go lighter I will" So I just laughed and he asked why I laughed "I said, sir no disrespect but learn how to shrug and stop trying to impress people with weight" Oooooooh guys like this just piss me off. Most days I can just ignore it or tolerate it. Does any of this stuff happen to you folks? If there are any other gym stories please share.
    Last edited by Archangel230; 05-22-2003 at 08:08 PM.

BigGreen is offline Anabolic Member
    There was a time when I wouldn't have fully believed your story....BUT it's happened enough over time to me that there's scarce little I don't believe now.

sd11 is offline Banned
    No gym story would suprise me I've seen way too much stupid shit over the years......as much as I hate to say it, gyms are a haven for assclowns, especially where I train/work.

Domestic is offline Associate Member
    stab him in the eye

cdog is offline Associate Member
    Yeah I once knew this guy his name was domestic and he said he could ...........na Im just playin with ya domestic for real though I see it alot to and I used to care because they would lift more than me even though I was bigger but it was all about throwing the weight and looking like a fool .I think the thing that really gets to me is old people day at my gym I workout at the YMCA . They will put there little step up box right behind me when I squat I hate that .Or I will be doing a set of flys and they will walk right into me as Im going down with my weight and look at me like Im the jerk .Yeah they dont give a rip once they start on there little routine you just better get the fu(k out the way.........CDOG

cdog is offline Associate Member
    Oh I forgot last monday one of the old people had a stroke right in front of me .And the messed up thing was all the other old folks were pissed off at him because they had to stop there routine .I even talked to one of the old guys about the guy and all he had to say was yeah he did this shlt last month to............wow

Seen that too often too..

But today I saw something that was quite the oposite and I was so impressed I had to go over to the gentleman and compliment him

I'm at the gym, doing chest day, basically having fun and in walks this older gentleman. I'd say late fifties, maybe even early sixties in age. He looks pretty out of shape, big belly and all and it's the first time I see him at the gym, but by his frame, you can tell this guy spend a LOT of time in gyms in his younger days.

The gentlemans gear looks like something straight out of some 1960's Joe Weider book, and his workout routine is kind of odd to me.

BUT

2 thigs impressed the crap out of me. First this gentleman was lifting very reasonable weights for his fitness level. Not overdoing it, but also not taking the easy way out. And most important, in all his sets his form was PERFECT. I mean this guy had the most strict form I've ever seen in the gym. His range, timing and motions were all textbook perfect. No cheating at all.

I was so impressed that I just HAD to compliment the gentleman on his form. Turns out he was a pro-BB many lifetimes ago, and he just retired from work and his first goal is to get back in the game.

I guess seeing one gentleman like his kind of balances out the dozens of idiots we see at the gym and rant about here

Red

Tock is offline Anabolic Member
    Ya, there's a few in every crowd. In my gym there's one guy who comes in and lays his towel and stuff on the bench press and then meanders all over the gym. Another guy comes in with the paper and sits on the workout equipment and reads the damn thing. That's about it, though . . . guess it isn't too bad . . .

BLASTER40 is offline New Member
    yeah today as a matter of fact:
    I was doing a set of close grip bench with 405 on the bar for 6 reps, while I'm in the middle of this set this elderly gentlemen just comes over and starts to try and talk to me, boy that threw my concentration, I got the six but barely, I racked the bare and he said and I quote," Is that heavy?". NSS (No Shit Sherlock), this guys gut was bigger than his chest, he looked like the michelin man for petes sake, luckily cause I had my headphones on I Ignored him and said i was trying for eight till you came over and broke my concentration, I think after that he got the idea that if your in the middle of a set don't talk to the guy doing the lifting.

daVinci is offline New Member
    Yeah, I've got no problem with old people in the gym trying to stay in shape, stay strong, prolong their lives, etc. I do have a problem with some fat old fart circuit-training joker who is wearing a tank top with his bitch tits hanging out asking me to work in and putting 20 plates on the leg press to do a 1/4 rep and leaving them all there. That's what I have a problem with. Just my 2 cents. Okay, breathe. . . .
    Last edited by daVinci; 05-30-2003 at 10:42 PM.

Thread Information