xenithon is offline Member

Workout Program Critique (its been a while)

Okay, I have been focusing a lot on diet and tweaking it, and doing very well. Now, I would like to focus on my workout to ensure training is in line with goals.

My goals are to maintain. If I add muscle - perfect. If I lose muscle - TRAGEDY. My diet is tweaked so that I am now maintaining and slowly putting on lean muscle, so thats the goal of the workouts.

It's a 5 days split, normally as follows:

Monday: Chest + Abs
    -Flat bench (10, 8, 6)
    -Incline Dumbbell (10, 8, 6)
    -Decline Bench (10, 8, 6)
    -Seated Press (10, 8, 6)
    -Cable Crossovers (12, 10)
    -Hanging leg raises (2 x 30)
    -Weighted crunches (2 x 20)

Tuesday: Rehab (I have a serious shoulder injury and need to do a special rehab program for now, although when I recover then shoulders will probably go here).

Wednesday: Off (I do abs at home)

Thursday: Back
    -Barbell rows (10, 8, 6)
    -Dumbbell rows (10, 8, 6)
    -Low row (8, 6)
    -Lat Pulldowns (10, 8, 6)
    -Deadlifts (10, 8, 6)

Friday: Arms + Abs
    -Standing barbbell curl (10, 8, 6)
    -Incline Dumbbell Curl (12, 10, 8)
    -Cable Preacher curl (10, 8, 6)
    -Tricep Pushdown (12, 10, 8)
    -Skullcrusher (10, 8, 6)
    -Rope Pushdown (12, 10)
    -One arm cable pulldown (10, 8)
    -Weighted crunches (2 x 20)
    -Side Crunches (2 x 20)
    -Oblique Hangling leg raises (2 x 20)

Saturday: Legs
    -Squats (10, 8, 6)
    -Leg Press (10, 8, 6)
    -One leg extensions (12, 10, 8)
    -Standing one-leg hamstring curls (12, 10, 8)
    -Lying hamstring curls (10, 8, 6)
    -Seated calf raises (3 x 50)
    -Standing calf raises (3 x 20)
    (Normally I do one week like this for calves - light and high reps - and the next week I would go heavy, like seated calf raises @ 3 x 10)

Sunday: Off

I read a lot about training on the threads and saw a lot of very low volume methods. I tried fairly low volume (like I did arms @ 3 sets for 2 exercises only for bis and tris, ie. 6 sets each). It just did not feel right to me, if you know what I mean.

Training takes me 45 minutes to an hour, having about 60-90 seconds in between sets.

Thanks!

PS. Theres a lot of things I cannot do due to my shoulder, like incline barbell press, close-grip bench etc.

flexgolf is offline Member
    i gotta say i dont like back one day, and biceps the next. back exercises work ur biceps well enough that youll probly need a days rest in between doin back and bis.

yellows2k is offline Member
    if those are the days u wanna work why not do this..

monday back
    thursday chest
    friday legs
    saturday arms

IMO, thats too much volume but if it works then it works for u, no discussion needed

i gotta say i dont like back one day, and biceps the next. back exercises work ur biceps well enough that youll probly need a days rest in between doin back and bis.
    Good point. I was actually thinking of switching it up to be:
    Monday - Chest
    Tuesday - Back
    Wednesday - Off
    Thursday - Rehab
    Friday - Arms
    Saturday - Legs
    Sunday - Off

What do you think??

if those are the days u wanna work why not do this..
    monday back
    thursday chest
    friday legs
    saturday arms

IMO, thats too much volume but if it works then it works for u, no discussion needed
    Thanks for the advice. I would however prefer 5 day/week. What do you think of the split I just mentioned?? Volume wise - as I said in the original post - I have tried a number of different routines, including much lower volume ones. To me it just doesn't feel right goin in and doing for example bis, tris, abs in 35 minutes, or doing back in 30 minutes. I don't know if its just psychological perhaps?

Thanks for all the info!

Yung Wun is offline Member
    if you have a serious shoulder injury i'd check with the doc
    if you can start lifting, dont forget when you work on your chest your shoulders are gonna come into play.you dont wanna set yourself even further back now
    Last edited by Yung Wun; 05-24-2003 at 09:18 AM.

solidj55 is offline Member
    IT may not feel right to do lower volume but I seriously doubt that you will ever grow from that much volume unless your on serious amounts of AS and even then the results would probably be minimal. More is not always better dude. I preach that all the time at the gym and on these boards. I think your split needs work but if you feel its working for you go ahead and keep it. IF you want another opinion on your workout let me know and I will give you one.

Originally posted by solidj55
    IT may not feel right to do lower volume but I seriously doubt that you will ever grow from that much volume unless your on serious amounts of AS and even then the results would probably be minimal. More is not always better dude. I preach that all the time at the gym and on these boards. I think your split needs work but if you feel its working for you go ahead and keep it. IF you want another opinion on your workout let me know and I will give you one.
    Hi there,

It has been working ok so far, but as the topic says, I think I need some change to shock the body. It's not really volume which concerns me, its when I am in and out in half an hour - I just don't feel worked as a full 45-50 minute workout, but once again as I said it may just be psychological. Please can you give me some pointers about the workout - I appreciate any and ALL advice. If your workout is lower volume I will still give it a go - experiment is the only way you can learn more about the body

if you have a serious shoulder injury i'd check with the doc
    if you can start lifting, dont forget when you work on your chest your shoulders are gonna come into play.you dont wanna set yourself even further back now
    already done . I got it checked about a month ago, and thus have been doing rehab ever since (replaced my normal shoulders day). Also on many exercises like triceps and chest I have to use only specific exercises and 100% form to keep the shoulder in check.

Thread Information