Sicilian30 is offline Respected Member

How do you guys fight the gym burnout?

I just wanted to get some opinions and suggestions maybe on how to fight the ole gym burn out.
    The reason I asked this question is a month ago my gym shut down for remoldling, and well I wasn't able to workout for a month. Before then I could feel myself getting burned out. Everyday at the gym, I was not only physically tired but mentally as well. Well after this month has gone by I am pumped up again and ready to hit it hard, had a great workout these last two days, and it felt great to not be soo burned out having to go to the gym.
    I was just wondering do you guys get this way sometimes? What do you do to overcome it? Take a day, week or month off?

BigWill is offline Junior Member
    Sounds like your were overtraining. If you are hitting it hard, take a week off every 6-8 weeks. You will be amazed at the results.

Yung Wun is offline Member
    i felt like that once even worst actually
    took a long break (long, long,long break)
    hit the gym with a vengance after
    and ever since i been going at with an whole new vendetta
    time off can work wonders

cdog is offline Associate Member
    That sounds like overtraining brother.I think the trick is to push your self as far as you can push without overtraining .I know in the past I got burned out bad and hurt .So I know what this feels like however it has taught me when I need to change things around in the gym or just take a week or 2 off .Me I would never take a month off Im to much of a gym rat but When I start getining burned out first Ill change my routine If Im still feeling tired I just will take off a week .However changeing routines has worked great for me .Thats the great thing about lifting you can do so many things............CDOG

painintheazz is offline Anabolic Member
    I usually take a week off every 2 or 3 months, that does the trick for me.

Pain

Brian1200 is offline Junior Member
    Try taking a week off every 12 to 16 weeks, try changeing your auxillary lifts around, stick with the core lifts if possible, try bringing your own headphones, and listen to some good hard music, Korn ect., try some new routines, throw some different exercises in, it is very important to also set goals for yourself, write down an objective you want to accomplish, for instance set a realistic goal for yourself such as a 400 pound bench press or a 500 pound squat, or getting your body fat down to 6 or 7%, now you have something to give you some motivation, no goals=no results. Take some time off and come back hungry, you have got to want it, you have got to want to train hard. Good luck.

FancyLad is offline Junior Member
    it's easier for me cause there are 9 gold's (which im a member of) within a relatively close distance (and i have the 2 university of texas gyms), so if i get burned out i just rotate between about 4-6 gyms...this definately helps out a lot and expands my selection of who i can call to workout with...try finding another gym if possible...even if it's a shitty gym, maybe hit short workouts there from time to time...also if you find a local high school or something like that with just basic free weights it will make you use basic mass building exercises since you won't have a fancy selection...

FL

Domestic is offline Associate Member
    instead of working out every day, try rotating and working out on Odd days. Day 1 - 3 - 5 - 7... leaving the even days, 2 - 4 - 6 for Rest & Recovery.

HeavyDuty2 is offline New Member

Burnout

Originally posted by Domestic
    instead of working out every day, try rotating and working out on Odd days. Day 1 - 3 - 5 - 7... leaving the even days, 2 - 4 - 6 for Rest & Recovery.
    I'm similar to "Domestic"......I'm not currently 'on' anything so to speak so it takes a little more time for me to recover than some others I know and I realise this and adjust the amount of sets and recovery days to accomadate for that. The trouble is, I see guys @ the gym I train @ saying they train 5-6 days a week always going heavy, to failure and past, but can't seem to gain or get stronger. They read all the mags, use the pros routines....more, more, more is better. If in doubt do more.....Dumbass's!! Just my 2c

dangit is offline Member
    I found that training 6-7 days a week was really burning me out. So for the last year, I've been going to the gym only 5 days a week. I try to train for 3 straight days, take one off, then 2 days and one off.

I also try to do my workouts so that I don't hit the same muscle groups to closely together. If I hit my arms, then I don't do my back or chest until at least a few days later.

Also, training at a different gym is always a good way to get out of a slump.

It doesn't hurt to take a week off training every once in a while too.

Having a goal is really good for my training too. I found that ever since I've started going into local shows that I've been alot more dedicated and feel like I have something to work for when at the gym.

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    I have learned to just listen to mu body. When it's tired or sore, I take time off to rest. Now I don't just sit my happy butt on the couch. I'll go play basketball or go walking or something. It's good to take a break from the lifting and dieting every once in a while.

BIG R is offline Member
    Burn out? I Love the gym....the gym loves me. I think that because I work there and personal train there it is an important component in my life. I have about 4 different work out partners that I can call on to PUSH me if I need it......sometimes that all you need. Another person's positive input can change everything. I hit it about the same as Dangit does the schedual. 4-5 days a week

R

little_indian is offline New Member
    When I am feeling burntout ,I start socializing in the gym.Normally it's just a quick nod and exchange of plesantries for my friends before hitting the weights.

lloyd_cannon is offline Associate Member
    for me in the gym its like that emmit smith commercial when he says he needs to take a break. He waits two seconds then says "ok thats enough" i only have 10 weeks before football starts so breaks arent optional id get phone raped by coaches if i didnt show up for mornign workout

Thread Information