Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By DanB

Thread: help with weak bench press

jsanman is offline Associate Member

help with weak bench press

a little about me
    im 21 190ibs at 6ft
    i have been lifting for over two years now, my 1rm bench went from 90ibs in 2011 and in july this year it went to 240 and its now december and i have had no progress so far raising the bar
    my gym partner has a year on me and he does about 255 2-4 times
    i really wanna one up him by the time summer comes around

does anyone have a good solid bench press ruitine they can show me ?
    as for nutrition i eat every day about 200g of protien and usually over 300g of carbs

fattywarbucks is offline Associate Member
    I know this is weird advice, but start working one arm push ups. I haven't benched in 2 years, but these brought my pressing strength up ridiculously. I go feet together. here's a video of me doing them in my youtube channel. They're 3rd in the video. last time I benched, I was at 255, so nothing magical, but I would have torn my arm off trying these. And they cut up your obliques.

INSANE FIGHTER WORKOUT! 1 Arm & 1 Leg - YouTube

And yes Im skinny. I compete in BJJ in weight classes. So I consider myself a jacked 12 year old girl.

i ususally do my one arm pushup with legs wide apart, would there be a difference? do you max out when you do the one handed pushups?
    usually i feel more on my abs then arms when i do those

sick video!

fattywarbucks is offline Associate Member
    Thanks bro. Try them with the feet close. Its a whole different planet. The abs are a nice benefit. And I usually just go by feel on the reps.

Blog Entries
    look up wave loading, this will bring your bench up fast

LbforLb152 is offline New Member
    Do negatives. Do drop sets. Do explosive reps. Use bands on the bench press. 5 reps 3 reps 1 reps. Every other workout. Research powerlifting form for bench press. hope that gives u some ideas.

hekki is offline Junior Member
    Compound sets. Where you do a compound movement i.e. a bench press and superset it with an isolation exercise. I do a decline bench press and superset it with a decline cable fly. As mentioned above alternating between forced reps, drop sets, negatives, and even pushups has helped me push through a pesky plateau

DanB is offline Banned
    whats your tricep workout look like? my bench increased dramatically when I developed my triceps further, my anterior deltoid also holds me back with an old injury playing up if I try be superman and go too heavy

when is last time you took a week off? this is often overlooked also but you would be surprised what a week or two off can do for you even though you may think it will be a hinderence, in fact it will generally be a benefit, your cns needs a break the same way as your muscle groups
    Java Man likes this.

my work out ruitine for tryceps is in line with my chest
    i do bench pressing 135lbs 10x 185 5x 225 2x
    then cable pull downs with a straight bar usually about 10 sets of increasing weight until i fail at doing 5
    inclined i do 5 sets of 5 rep max
    i used to do dips with lbs attached but my new gym has no weight belt, so I do 5 sets until failure trying to keep my back as straight as possible
    at the end ill usually do skull crushers 5 sets 5-12 reps each last two sets till failure
    then maybe if i dont feel maxed out ill do close grip bench pressing with whatever i have left

my triceps are very small its sad, they are at about 14.5 in right now, up from 12.75 two years ago

Java Man is offline Known Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by DanB View Post
    whats your tricep workout look like? my bench increased dramatically when I developed my triceps further, my anterior deltoid also holds me back with an old injury playing up if I try be superman and go too heavy

when is last time you took a week off? this is often overlooked also but you would be surprised what a week or two off can do for you even though you may think it will be a hinderence, in fact it will generally be a benefit, your cns needs a break the same way as your muscle groups
    This. Both points. You grow outside the gym. I don't spend more than 40min in the gym and I only go 4 days per week. It took me years to learn that less is more if you train and eat properly. Rest is important.

My bench also exploded when I increased my triceps. I focused on them for 4 months, increased my overall arm size by an inch in the process, and my bench went up dramatically as a side effect.

an inch on your arms in 4 months ? thats crazy talk!
    i usually go for about 2 hours or until i get hungry

Java Man is offline Known Troll
    Read marcus300's thread. I posted before and after pics in there but that's not why I say read it. Youre spending way too much time in the gym. I did that 20 years ago too. I wish I had known then what I know now.
    The knowledge in that thread will transform you.

Quote Originally Posted by Java Man View Post
    Read marcus300's thread. I posted before and after pics in there but that's not why I say read it. Youre spending way too much time in the gym. I did that 20 years ago too. I wish I had known then what I know now.
    The knowledge in that thread will transform you.
    can you post me a link to it? i am very interested to see what its about

Blog Entries
    You are only as strong as your weakest link

Quote Originally Posted by hellomycognomen View Post
    You are only as strong as your weakest link
    that seems to be the case always

DeadlyD is offline Anabolic Member
    Try doing chest and Tris on different days, for example I do tris superset with back, and chest superset with bis 3 days apart, this helped me break through a bench press plateau.

Thread Information