DontTaseMeBro is offline Member

to alternate or not

When working for strength and power, I usually try to stick with heavy compound exercise and combine at least 2 body parts into each workout (i.e. legs and back). I usually alternate between body parts. For instance, I'll do squats, then pullups, then deadlift and then rows, etc... I feel like the rest I get by alternating muscle groups lets me recover and go harder when its time to hit that body part again. Does anyone see anything inherently wrong with this reasoning?

chaps is offline Associate Member
    Depends what you are trying to do, I have a couple different approaches to the order of my lifts:

For example:
    -I do front squats, barbell standing shoulder press, one arm farmers walks, and planks all without any other lifts in between. The idea here is to put more emphasis on building core than is easily done with one exercise.
    -Deadlifts as the last exercise always. This is because your risk for injury after deadlifting is high. Also deadlifts tire you out, especially your CNS. If you deadlift earlier in your routine theres no way you're pushing 100% on anything else.
    -If i'm doing two exercises that hit the shoulders, I'll space them out. This is because it's a smaller muscle and more prone to quick fatigue than some of the larger groups.

Really my best advice I could give is, well it sounds like you've made your own routine. For strength and power, use one of the proven routines and don't **** with it. Find a routine where you can type in your maxes and it spits out a spreadsheet of what you do when each day. One of the biggest mistakes people make is thinking they know enough to make their own routines.

DontTaseMeBro is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chaps View Post
    One of the biggest mistakes people make is thinking they know enough to make their own routines.
    true. That's why I'm always asking and am open to trying new things. I've been at it long enough to know what works for me, but I'm constantly in search of ways to do it better. Thanks for the input.

songdog is offline ARs TOP DOG ~ MONITOR ~
    If it isn't boke don't fix it.

gmantheman is offline Associate Member
    I do this when I train upper body. I do bench rest 60-90 sec, rowing movement, rest 60-90s and do dips rest 60 sec then pullups rest 60 sec and repeat.

chaps is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DontTaseMeBro View Post
    true. That's why I'm always asking and am open to trying new things. I've been at it long enough to know what works for me, but I'm constantly in search of ways to do it better. Thanks for the input.
    What I meant is, if your following one of the classic proven routines as it was written, questions like this shouldn't come up. Just do what the routine calls for.

NaijaBoy is offline Junior Member
    No matter if I'm lifting for power or strength, I always superset my exercises. Push and pull has always worked for me no matter what. I don't lift for power anymore as it does me no good for my job, moderate strength and endurance is preferred.

For example: If I deadlift heavy, since it's a pull, I do a high rep push like dips. But then again, doing lots of calisthenics has made me love the sport.

And chaps, no offense but you're wrong. I made my own workout. Through numerous research, trial and error on different types of full and split body workouts and different variations of workouts, the one I'm currently using is good enough for me. I can still deadlift 405, bench 315, do almost 25 legit pull ups and dips any day.

Thread Information