AJS
    AJS is offline Junior Member

Unhappy Increase my Bench

Iv'ebeen so stressed out about my bench weight. I can't bench for shit. I'm 210 lbs. and I can only bench 130 max like 3 times. can some one seriously help me out..its so emabarassing, liftin this much, when ur like 210 and 6ft. thanx

wrstlr69sdnl is offline Senior Member
    everyone starts somewhere just start off lower try pyramiding your weight go to www.abcbodybuilding.com and get some exercises from there

cdog is offline Associate Member

I found this for you on the net I am starting it now my self

The Max Effort method is considered by many coaches and athletes as the superior method of strength development. It places great demands on both intramuscular and intermuscular coordination and well as stimulating the muscular and central nervous system. These demands force the body into greater adaptation. This adaptation is what is responsible for great strength gains. When training using the Max Effort Method, the central nervous system inhibition is reduced, thus max number of motor units are activated with optimal discharge frequency (Zatsiorisky). The one drawback to using this method is that you cannot train with weights above 90 percent for much longer than one to three weeks before the nervous system begins to weaken. When this happens, your strength will begin to diminish. This is one of the major reasons why progressive overload training will only work for so long. With this in mind, and knowing that this method is great for the development of strength, you have to find a way around this three-week barrier. The way to overcome it is to switch the exercise used for the Max Effort Method every one to three weeks, thus allowing the body to recover. This keeps the body fresh so the method can be used year-round.

So how do you use this method?

The best way to utilize the Max Effort Method is deciding on one main exercise that will be trained with this method. After a proper general warm-up, proceed to this exercise and begin to warm-up with the bar. Using small weight increases, begin to work up in weight with sets of three to five reps. When three reps begins to feel heavy, drop down to single repetitions. This is when you begin to make an effort to max out on the exercise. Keep increasing the weight until you have reached your one-rep max. Make sure to keep track of this record, because this is what you will try to beat next time out. A max effort exercise would look like this:

Exercise
    Sets
    Reps
    Weight

Board Press

In the above example, 425 would represent the lifters one-rep max. This the number that should be recorded and broke on later dates. It is very important to only use this method with one exercise per workout and no more than one time per week for each lift.

The max effort meso cycle should only last 1 to 3 weeks with the latter being for the novice and intermediate strength athlete. The more advanced the athlete, the shorter the time spent per cycle or time spent per max effort exercise. This is due to the neuromuscular coordination and motor learning. The advanced athlete can call upon more motor unit activation (use more muscle) than the novice. For example, the novice may use 60% of their total muscle while the advanced athlete will be able to use 80%. The second reason is the neuromuscular and muscular coordination. The advanced lifter has always figured out and mastered how to do the movement. His body knows what to do and when. The novice athlete has not figured out how to do the movement and is far from mastering it. This will allow the novice to progress and break records for around three weeks on each max effort exercise. This, however, will not be the case for the advanced athlete. These athletes will have one good week where they break a record, then will be unable to break it for the next two weeks. So the solution is simple - switch every week! This will allow you to break records each week and avoided overtraining. Max effort training is a process of learning how to better synchronize the muscle involvement. This is because of the activation of the central nervous system, as well as other factors such as motivation and concentration.

If you do not always break a record, don’t worry about it. The strain is more important than the record itself. With this in mind, if you happen to break your record easily to the point that you really didn’t strain, then you must pursue another record that actually involves strain.

Max Effort Parameters

Load (Intensity)
    90 to 100%

Number of Exercises

Repetitions
    1-3

Rest Interval
    2 to 5 minutes

Frequency / Week
    1 (Squat Day) / 1(Bench Day)

Weeks per Exercise
    1-3

Some Max Effort Movements for the Bench Press include:

Board Press: This is a special max effort exercise designed to help strengthen the lockout of the bench press. It is also very effective in increasing triceps strength. This exercise is performed exactly the same as the bench press except you pause the barbell on a board that is placed on your chest. The board for this workout will be two 2 by 4 boards about 12 inches in length. Make sure to pause the barbell on the boards before the ascent.

Close Grip Incline Press: This is a max effort exercise designed to isolate the upper middle regions of the pectoralis minor, as well as the triceps. To begin this exercise, lay with your back on a incline bench, grasping the bar with one or two fingers on the smooth part of the bar. Unrack the weight so the arms are fully extended. Lower the barbell, with your elbows in a tucked position, to the upper chest region. Press the bar back to the starting position.

Floor Press: This is a special max effort exercise designed to help strengthen the midpoint of the bench press. It is also very effective in increasing tricep strength. This exercise is performed exactly the same as the bench press, except you lay on the ground instead of on a bench. Make sure to pause in the bottom of the movement before the ascent. This exercise has been used with much success at Westside Barbell Club for the past seven years.

Close Grip Bench Press: The bench press should be performed with the shoulder blades pulled together and driven into the bench. The elbows should be in a tucked position. The bar should hit you in the lower chest area. The bar must be pushed in a straight line, not back over the face.

Reverse Band Press: This is performed the same as a standard bench press but with the added assistance of bands. The bands will help to get the bar started off the chest, then you will have to finish it off at the point where the bands quit helping. This is at the mid- to lockout point. This is where most of us will miss the bench press.

Floor Press with Chains: This movement is performed lying on the floor with the legs straight. Set up the J hooks low in the power rack so you can unrack the weight the same as you would a standard bench press. Once unracked, lower the weight until your elbows hit the floor. Pause at this point and press the bar back upward. The technique should be the same as used with a standard bench press.

Sample Max Effort Workout

Floor Press: Start with the bar and work up in weight using 3’s or 5’s. When the sets begin to feel heavy (75% to 80%), drop the reps to 1 per set. Keep working up until a one-rep max is reached. You should not exceed a total of 5 to 10 reps above 90%.

Triceps Extensions: If a barbell is used, then do not exceed 40 reps. If you use a dumbbell, then do not exceed 60 reps. Example: Barbell Extensions: 5 sets of 8 reps. Dumbbell Extensions 7 sets of 8 reps.

Rows: The lats are a very important muscle while bench pressing and should be trained on the same plane as the bench press. This is why rows are the best choice. They can either be Barbell, Dumbbell, Chest Supported, Low Rows or any other type of rows. Sets and reps are up to you, but a good guideline would be 4 to 5 sets of 6 to 10 reps.

Dumbbell Cleans: This movement will complete the sample max effort workout and is intended to work the rear delts and traps. These muscles are important for stabilizing the bar path during the bench press (4 to 5 sets of 8 to 12 would be a good place to start).

Summary:

The Max Effort Method is one of the staple methods used at Westside Barbell for the development of Maximal Strength. I also believe it is one of the most important methods for strength development when used properly. You must change the movement every one to three weeks and you must strain. The method will not work as well when these two criteria are not met. The sample workout is just what it says - "a sample". You must also rotate the accessory movements every few weeks and concentrate on those that work your weak points. If you train your weak points, then you will get very strong; if you train your strong points, then you will get very weak. You can only be as strong as your weakest link.

"The individual who goes the furthest is generally the one who is willing to do, dare and attempt new things. The sure thing boat never gets far from shore". - Dale Carnegie

If you have any questions or you are interested in one of our catalogs give me a call at Elite Fitness Systems 888-854-8806 or contact me via e-mail at [email protected].

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

by Dave Tate
    Founder of Elite Fitness Systems
    [email protected]

HiFi is offline Associate Member
    You have to realize, the olympic size bar weighs about 40 lbs, so if you have 130 of plates on the bar, you might really be benching 170. Some barbells weigh differently though. Start out doing benches first thing on chest day so you have all that energy ready.

mac55 is offline Junior Member
    Weighted dips!!! Those will jump your bench through the roof! Did to mine, also start your chest day with bench and incorperate weighted dips. Gotta start somewhere, when I started benching I could only do 135x8. Now I can press 350. Hard work and dedication will take you anywhere you need to go!

AJS
    AJS is offline Junior Member
    yeah i'll try the weight dips for sure..
    thnx

xtremesport14 is offline Associate Member
    bump on the weighted dips started doing them a month ago so just starting to notice some results.

mac55 is offline Junior Member
    No problem bro, if you have any other work out questions, pm me.

When I was stuck on chest, I did this. Do some flat bech flys, not too heavy, but not to light, and then do the bench press. Also, how are your tirceps? That could be part of the problem as well.

I also noticed a huge differecne when I started eating like mad. Made all the diff in the world.

Good luck man!

TheMudMan is offline Retired~ AR-Hall of Famer
    This is what I did to increase my bench:

Take a weight you can get for 5 reps and do 5 sets with it. Then next time add 5 or 10 lbs and do 5 sets of 5 and keep going till your at your goal. I got 330lbs for 3 reps at 162lbs doing this.

crumb316 is offline New Member

Increase Bench

First post ever!! If you have a bench in your gym that has hooks, try setting them so you can start from the bottom position, you'll find you can't use as much weight, but it might help you go through a sticking point.

Everyone let me know what you think!!

murph is offline Member
    you can also try ......(with a spotter or on a smith machine)......... putting on MORE weight than you can bench ,.... then just unrack it and simply hold it up ...(dont do any reps).... this will get your muscles and body used to heavier weights .... you will find it easy to add pounds to your old bench soon enough ....gl.. MURPH

HOLLYWOOD is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mac55
    Weighted dips!!! Those will jump your bench through the roof! Did to mine, also start your chest day with bench and incorperate weighted dips. Gotta start somewhere, when I started benching I could only do 135x8. Now I can press 350. Hard work and dedication will take you anywhere you need to go!
    totally agree ever since i started doing dips my bench went up a ton ! im only 5'11 and 180 and i put up about 320 for 4 reps unassisted and i really do believe dips played a big part in that !
    Last edited by crosby7117; 08-15-2003 at 04:00 PM.

ItalianMuscle is offline Senior Member
    Be patient bro. Everyone starts from scratch u will get there.

RON
    RON is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ItalianMuscle
    Be patient bro. Everyone starts from scratch u will get there.
    With chest I always try to keep it simple. Heavy flat and incline bench have really helped me increase my bench a lot this past year.

Also check out some of the West Side stuff in the power lifting forum. Some real good info from those guys.

bermich is offline Anabolic Member
    Lower your normal bench weight by like 20 lbs. Instead of bouncing the bar off your chest, slowly bring the bar down and keep it an inch away from your chest and hold it there for a second. Then push up. Use slow motion and keep your back flat.
    This will help your muscles adapt to the weight instead of just banging out the reps. It also keeps good form and wont fuck up your back.

Try doing 50 or so push ups every night.

talon is offline Senior Member
    Def. try to increase shoulder strength, this helped me increase my bench. As far as exercises try these, from a PT's perspective: Overhead dumbell tri. ext., Lying d-bell pullovers, reverse grip flat barbell bench, weighted dips., and esp. skull crushers with a ten rep bench "pump" super set. Hope these help, they usually help my clients when trying to acheive a higher bench press status. Good luck.

kilroy is offline Junior Member
    Bench is a total body lift. Leg drive. strong abs. strong upper back and lats. Most importantly if you have week triceps your bench will be week. Really hit the triceps because that is what keeps you in and out of your groove and gives you the lockout power. Bench is not really not as much chest as you may think

Adonis is offline Associate Member
    Try doing half reps with heavy weight.

Warm up doing full range of motion for two or three sets.
    Then do half reps piramiding to maximum poundage.
    No more than 2 or 3 reps per set.
    Rest 2 minutes between sets.
    On your last set, remove 30 to 50 lbs from the bar and do a heavy full range set for about 4-6 reps.
    You will notice the weight feels lighter.
    The point is to always increase the weight on your last full motion set.

Make sure you get enough calories and protein and that you get plenty of rest between workouts.
    Always use a spotter or do them from a cage.

TheLineBacker is offline New Member

Thumbs up Big Bench Press

Hi Im 16 6ft 190lbs and love football and ive been working out since I was 14. I could bairly bench 90lbs when I started but now my max bench is up to 255 lbs this biggest difference for me was eating non-stop (BUT HEALTHY). AND pyramiding made the biggest difference for me.

Any question or sample routeens u would like e-mail me [email protected]
    lol sorry about my spelling

Thread Information