Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mp859

Thread: 3 days on 1 day off too much training ?

leanmachine6 is offline Associate Member

3 days on 1 day off too much training ?

id rather undertrain than overtrain and was wondering would 3 days on 1 day off be a decent split for most and not classed as OT ? my split would take 7 days to complete with 1-2 days off every 3 days
    day 1 pushing exercises - delts & pecs
    day 2 lower body - quads, hams, glutes & calves
    day 3 tri's, bi's and forearms
    day 4 rest
    day 5 pulling exercises - back & traps
    day 6 lower body - quads, hams, glutes & calves
    day 7 tri's, bi's and forearms
    day 8 rest
    day 9 will either be a rest day or start programme again from day 1 depending on how im feeling.
    guessing you can see my goal is mainly to work on legs & arms but im still hitting chest, delts & back every 7 days or so so not neglecting any body part just working on some abit more than others that have been slightly neglected in the past & need some extra work doing especially the arms ! i like to keep things short & sweet and recently have been doing similar training to dorians videos in and aout within 40-50 minutes keeping rest to 60-90 seconds between sets and only doing 2-3 exercises on each bodypart of about 3-4 sets but hard !
    Last edited by leanmachine6; 08-14-2014 at 04:00 AM.

600@50 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Based on your goal to focus on arms and legs it looks ok. What set/rep scheme are you planning on? Just don't be afraid to swap things up periodically.

RangerDanger830 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I do 3 on and 1 off. The key here is to know what you are doing as it is easy to push yourself too hard and injure yourself. Every single one of my injuries have occurred in my early lifting days while doing a 3 on and 1 off routine.

I find that off cycle if I lift to my absolute maximum and give it everything I have to the point of true pain then I end up needing 2 days off before I can start my three again. Having said that I usually change my routine up when I am off-cycle and only do the 3 on and 1 off when I am on cycle.

3 on and 1 off still works. Different strokes for different folks, just be careful about letting yourself recover fully.

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    3/1 here for me

pushit_05 is offline Junior Member
    Vince Gironda seemed to think a muscle takes 72 hours to recover. John Broz thinks you can do squats every single day and produce results (Pat Mendes). If your bodybuilding I would think Vince's advice would be more applicable. You could honestly go 7 days a week as long as each muscle group was getting 72 hours. Not trying to be confrontational just a different view on things.

kronik420 is offline Anabolic Member
    depends on what intensity your training with... some people can train 7 days a week and not over train, probably not make any progress either....

whether im doing HIT or strength training, i usually have at least 1 day in between workouts, so EOD sort of thing.. or m w f

Mp859 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    If you eat enough to fuel your muscles there is no such thing as overtraining.
    pushit_05 likes this.

leanmachine6 is offline Associate Member
    il be consuming very high calories, between 4-5000 clean as il be doing a lean bulk when i start this programme, il also be on some aas compounds which will help with recovery too. rep ranges will vary week to week but generally speaking will target the 10-12 rep range.

Mp859 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by leanmachine6
    il be consuming very high calories, between 4-5000 clean as il be doing a lean bulk when i start this programme, il also be on some aas compounds which will help with recovery too. rep ranges will vary week to week but generally speaking will target the 10-12 rep range.
    Just listen to your body

petegriffinjr is offline Junior Member
    Your CNS is what may need the recovery..

Kinkarada is offline New Member
    I do 3 on 1 off, training my whole body over the three days. It works fine for me but if I change my routine and feel like I need an extra day to recover a muscle group, then that's what I do.

Wintermaul is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mp859 View Post
    Is this for real? So when it starts to get heavy and progress slows down i can just down some more food and keep in working out as normal? No need to lay off workout for a week to let the body get out of "overtraining"?
    Ive heard of some powerlifters downing 8000+ kcal in short periods to fuel up but then again they usually have a high BF...

Khazima is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Overtraining isn't debatable lol, its very real no matter what you do if you're exercising too much you're going to get to a state of overtraining whether it takes a week or a year.

Docd187123 is offline Banned
    This is incorrect

Quote Originally Posted by pushit_05 View Post
    Vince Gironda seemed to think a muscle takes 72 hours to recover. John Broz thinks you can do squats every single day and produce results (Pat Mendes). If your bodybuilding I would think Vince's advice would be more applicable. You could honestly go 7 days a week as long as each muscle group was getting 72 hours. Not trying to be confrontational just a different view on things.
    A muscle need not be fully recovered before working it out again. In fact, in many circumstances it's advisable to NOT let the muscle fully recover before working it out again.

swolehead is offline Member
    why not just do push pull leg. chest shoulder triscept, back and biscepts, and leg then rest instead of complicating it with specific arm days I never understood why people did this there some of the smallest muscles in your body

marcus300 is offline ~Retired~ AR-Platinum Elite-Hall of Famer ~
    Quote Originally Posted by Docd187123 View Post
    This is incorrect
    You obviously haven't trained hard or intense enough to feel the over training symptoms. I wont go into it fully but I know its impossible for me to train like I do and the over training signs creep in and I need to pull back and let my CNS and body fully recover. I know my body and know how it grows and repairs and over training is out there but some people might get confused with the actual word "overtraining" but within hard intense training there is a point were you need to pull back because your body just cant carry on doing what you put it through. Check out Dorian Yates interviews he speaks a lot about it.

Quote Originally Posted by marcus300 View Post
    You obviously haven't trained hard or intense enough to feel the over training symptoms. I wont go into it fully but I know its impossible for me to train like I do and the over training signs creep in and I need to pull back and let my CNS and body fully recover. I know my body and know how it grows and repairs and over training is out there but some people might get confused with the actual word "overtraining" but within hard intense training there is a point were you need to pull back because your body just cant carry on doing what you put it through. Check out Dorian Yates interviews he speaks a lot about it.
    I think you quoted the wrong poster. I agree over training exists and I've had it happen to myself personally as well. I was saying what Mp859 posted is incorrect, namely that you can 'out eat' overtraining which you cannot do.

marcus300 is offline ~Retired~ AR-Platinum Elite-Hall of Famer ~
    Quote Originally Posted by Docd187123 View Post
    I think you quoted the wrong poster. I agree over training exists and I've had it happen to myself personally as well. I was saying what Mp859 posted is incorrect, namely that you can 'out eat' overtraining which you cannot do.
    No I read it right and disagree with you but don't worry about it you wont understand

< <Samson> > is offline Neurologically Intact
    Blog Entries
    Intensity is the key

I can workout for an hour and need to recover for 2 days

Yet - I can workout for almost 2 hours and do it again the next day.

Quote Originally Posted by marcus300 View Post
    No I read it right and disagree with you but don't worry about it you wont understand
    In that case you're incorrect as well but I wouldn't expect you to understand either
    Last edited by Docd187123; 09-16-2014 at 02:32 PM.

Thread Information