Terinox is offline The One & Only

Barbell to Dumbells !!!

Over the summer I was doing normal bench press with my buddy. We were doing sets at about 165/170. Then my friend suggested we try doing DB bench for a while. So, for about 3-4 weeks we stopped doing the bench with a barbell. After the 4 weeks our strength on the flat dropped like mad. Some days we were having trouble doing sets with 155!!! WTF ? Why did it affect us that bad? For the DB we were doing sets with 45/50 pounds and we were doing sets of about 8-10. We didn't expect such a strength drop!!! Is this normal ?

Thnx
    Terinox

GenuinePL is offline Senior Member
    I do 75, 80, 85 x 8 on DB, but I could only do about 150, 160, 170 x 8 on flat bench. I think it's from the motion that you get used to.

KeyMastur is offline VET
    I see a strength drop when I go from Bar to Dumb, but when I go back, sheez, I see major increase. I haven't done bar in a while. I'm about to go back and see what I'm at. I love goin in and throwin 2 plates and some extra on and reppin that out while the wife-beatin high school kids come in and struggle with 1 plate but still walk around like their all swoll....

Capital X is offline Associate Member

Apples to oranges...like Ronnie says!

Terinox,

You can't compare the weight that you use for dumbells with the weight you use for barbells. They both may work your chest but they are very different. I used to bench 315lbs for reps but I could only do 130s on the dumbells. I can't tell you the mechanics behind this but you are not alone.

Capital X

bex
    bex is offline Banned
    With dumbells you get a better stretch but not so much power.I tend to use DBS if i train my chest twice a week so day one is barbell for more power and day two for shape and pump.But nothing can be better than barbells if you want mass.

Is it okay then to do Barbell and Dumbell for Flat ??? Or should I just stick to one ???

Thnx
    Terinox

peaker is offline Senior Member
    Is it okay then to do Barbell and Dumbell for Flat ??? Or should I just stick to one ???
    i think you should mix it up and do both, switch it up say every few workouts and you should be fine

peak

Well what I really meant was, is it okay to do both in one day??? My basic chest day goes like this...Flat, Incline, DB Flat and Cables.

Thnx
    Terinox

GenuinePL is offline Senior Member
    I don't think that you want to do both in one day. I really can't do it because it fucks with my motion and I can't train as hard.

Just do one week DB and then next bar.

Thread Information