Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Docd187123
  • 1 Post By southernboy31

Thread: Bench Press

yettibecsuse is offline Associate Member

Bench Press

Getting past 140kg mark. On all other areas my strength has increased and my bench is lacking. I have checked and double checked my form. I have switched from drop sets to 6/8 sets of 3 and I fail at 137/5 kg. Reps of 5 and 6 are doable at 128kg. Any suggestions should I stay at 128 and work on 5/6 sets of 5? I been stuck on this for about 6 weeks.

Bench twice a week

zempey is offline Anabolic Member
    I had a heck of a time getting to 315lbs, could do 295 for a few but never 315, think it was mostly mental. I was doing a 4x15 routine all summer and that really seemed to help get me over the hump. I would pick a weight I could do for 4 sets of 15 reps then up the weight and do that until I get 4x15 then up the weight again. I am now benching 315 for 1-2 reps. I was also doing body weight dips after every workout, got up to 50 in a row with a body weight of 250lbs.

Khazima is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Which part is your bench failing on, where your chest is dominant or where your triceps are dominant? Bench is one of the most bodyweight dependant lifts so if you're maintaining then you need a very carefully planned out bench program. How often are you benching?

Joco71 is offline Senior Member
    Good point KZ!! I will say that I was stuck at 225 flat bench forever. One day my buddies and I were doing chest kinda showing are ass to one another. That day I benched 235 I couldn't believe it. Three days later I benched 265. It was all mental IMO.

Yeah the bench is a really strange fluctuating lift with so many variables.. One day we will bench with absolute consistency -.- one day

Yes most definitely a mental hurdle attached, I put those 3 20s on and take a second look at it; I would guess from the chest is my weakest part, I'll try those suggestions and will tell you when I break it

Well I liked what you said about his bench. Because strong tri's are essential to a heavier bench. Also I notice some people get 1/2 to 3/4 the way up but can't lock it out. Via tri's

Keep us posted! Good luck

If you feel like the chest is the weak point, do some pause reps, or even work in that range of motion just from where your chest works to right before the triceps take over.

My sticking point is just before my triceps take over, where the main activation of the chest happens, if I get the bar past that no matter how hard I grind I guarantee it's locking out.

hawk14dl is offline Senior Member
    Forced reps. get a spotter you can trust and add in 1 or 2 forced reps after you hit failure. Be sure to give enough rest time to recover, then add the smalls amount of weight you can to the next session. It's all about progressive overload

I have two sticking points, at the very bottom when transitioning to the upward motion, and the upper where the tri's kick in. I did 325 a while back and just needed that little bit of a spot at the bottom and then I was good the rest of the way.

Mp859 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    If you feel you have plateaued, try DBs for a few weeks.

Buster Brown is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I like using the chains on bench as well as the bands. I think the chains really help with the lockout (triceps) and the bands help you get that explosive start that you need to get the weight off of your chest.

bifda is offline Associate Member
    As said chains are good for lock out, also static holds too.
    I found benching once a week is plenty, if you are doing it right.
    I alternate heavy to light, one week I'll do triples or 5x5, then next week 12-20+ for sets.
    I have a powerlifting comp in December and this works for me.

600@50 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Pin presses at chest level or just a little above will help starting strength too. Singles and doubles only.

Docd187123 is offline Banned
    Paused bench press, dynamic work, strengthening up the lats, strengthening up the shoulders, and using better leg drive
    almostgone likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 600@50
    Pin presses at chest level or just a little above will help starting strength too. Singles and doubles only.
    Pin presses are awesome!!!! I cycle them in once a month along with chains, bands, and tha cambered bar.

the pin presses look like gun to try; I have some bands that I have have been using might plan out and put some of these into place great feedback thanks

Quote Originally Posted by yettibecsuse
    the pin presses look like gun to try; I have some bands that I have have been using might plan out and put some of these into place great feedback thanks
    Just be careful with the pin presses as they put a lot of stress on the shoulder girdle. Try doing something different for 8 weeks say chains, bands, cambered bar, pin presses then repeat another 4 week cycle and see what you have gained on week 9.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Brown View Post
    Just be careful with the pin presses as they put a lot of stress on the shoulder girdle. Try doing something different for 8 weeks say chains, bands, cambered bar, pin presses then repeat another 4 week cycle and see what you have gained on week 9.
    All of those techniques are geared towards lockout issues, OP mentioned his chest is what fails him, so sure do all these techniques but if your chest is the weak part your not gonna get the bar high enough for these techniques to benefit (much). Pause benching could be your most valuable tool IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Khazima
    All of those techniques are geared towards lockout issues, OP mentioned his chest is what fails him, so sure do all these techniques but if your chest is the weak part your not gonna get the bar high enough for these techniques to benefit (much). Pause benching could be your most valuable tool IMO
    Both pin presses and using the bands help with getting the bar off of your chest as well as using the cambered bar. Chains will help with the lockout so actually three out of the four exercises I mentioned are directed more towards the first part of the lift.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Brown View Post
    Both pin presses and using the bands help with getting the bar off of your chest as well as using the cambered bar. Chains will help with the lockout so actually three out of the four exercises I mentioned are directed more towards the first part of the lift.
    I must be thinking of the exercises the wrong way around lol my apologies.

southernboy31 is offline New Member
    I work out chest once a week. I like to change up my routine fairly regular more or less to break up the monotony. I hit a wall about three months ago and couldn't seem to push past 375. I got linked up with this old school power lifter at my gym. He had me do 5 singles at 90% of my max. Take 3 minutes between sets. Then I'd drop down and do 5 sets of 5 usually failing on the last set. Then I'd do 5 sets of 5 on incline again failing on last set. All sets had 3 minutes between. After that I did what I wanted. Dumbbell work or cable work or whatever. Didn't really matter cause my chest was toast. I hit 390 on my bench a month ago so apparently it worked. Hope this helps bro just my 2 cents
    yettibecsuse likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by southernboy31
    I work out chest once a week. I like to change up my routine fairly regular more or less to break up the monotony. I hit a wall about three months ago and couldn't seem to push past 375. I got linked up with this old school power lifter at my gym. He had me do 5 singles at 90% of my max. Take 3 minutes between sets. Then I'd drop down and do 5 sets of 5 usually failing on the last set. Then I'd do 5 sets of 5 on incline again failing on last set. All sets had 3 minutes between. After that I did what I wanted. Dumbbell work or cable work or whatever. Didn't really matter cause my chest was toast. I hit 390 on my bench a month ago so apparently it worked. Hope this helps bro just my 2 cents
    Hooking up with a power lifter who has been around a while can really help out with ones bench. They are able to break the exercise down which is different then a bodybuilding approach. Listening to a PL is probably the best way to get results in increasing your bench.

southernboy31 is offline New Member
    He def helped me a lot. Now every few weeks instead of doing the singles and the 5X5 he'll have me use a moderately heavy weight. I'll lower it slowly down and relax. He'll count to 2 or 3 and then I'll push strait off my chest. I shoot for 3-5 reps and then go up in weight. I'll Continue to go up regardless of sets until I can't even push 1

Quote Originally Posted by southernboy31
    He def helped me a lot. Now every few weeks instead of doing the singles and the 5X5 he'll have me use a moderately heavy weight. I'll lower it slowly down and relax. He'll count to 2 or 3 and then I'll push strait off my chest. I shoot for 3-5 reps and then go up in weight. I'll Continue to go up regardless of sets until I can't even push 1
    Yup, that's good stuff and sounds like you are getting the right guidance for a solid bench.

TRYHARD2001 is offline New Member
    I've been stuck on 285 lbs for roughly 3 years. Never done more than that (one of the reasons I'm here). I've tried a bunch of different methods (5X5's, 5X3's, pin presses, etc.) but I seem to be stuck around that mark. I find I need to bench twice a week to keep that mark and when I switch things up to once a week my bench drops off fairly substantially. I've watched the Dave Tate How to F'ing Bench vids on Youtube, I take in about 150 grams of protein a day, I rarely miss a workout, but I just can't seem to push past this plateau on my own. The goal is 315 and at 31 I think the only way I reach that is by hitting up some serious supplements and maybe trying something wildly different. 4X15's were mentioned. That seems kinda weird for strength training but maybe if I were to use that in conjunction with the heavier lifting I might see some gains.

Man, sorry for venting like that but this has been a thorn in my side for a looooonnnnngggg time.

Quote Originally Posted by TRYHARD2001 View Post
    I've been stuck on 285 lbs for roughly 3 years. Never done more than that (one of the reasons I'm here). I've tried a bunch of different methods (5X5's, 5X3's, pin presses, etc.) but I seem to be stuck around that mark. I find I need to bench twice a week to keep that mark and when I switch things up to once a week my bench drops off fairly substantially. I've watched the Dave Tate How to F'ing Bench vids on Youtube, I take in about 150 grams of protein a day, I rarely miss a workout, but I just can't seem to push past this plateau on my own. The goal is 315 and at 31 I think the only way I reach that is by hitting up some serious supplements and maybe trying something wildly different. 4X15's were mentioned. That seems kinda weird for strength training but maybe if I were to use that in conjunction with the heavier lifting I might see some gains.

Man, sorry for venting like that but this has been a thorn in my side for a looooonnnnngggg time.
    Try eating more.

hawk14dl is offline Senior Member
    Yeah 150 grams of protein can't be enough.

Aim for between 1.25g/lb and 1.5g/lb of lbm.

I used to struggle at bench too, I still do. I closed up my grip a couple inches over the last couple years because I kept hurting my shoulder. My bench went up significantly as did the feeling in my chest when pressing, the mind muscle connection is much better now. I was doing a 5x15 routine for a few months do to a shoulder and elbow issue. After a couple months of this I threw on some weight and was surprised at how easy it went up. I have struggled to get 315 my whole life, only doing it once before recently, I hit 315 for 2 last month and 325 with just a bit of help at the bottom. It is worth a try since you have been stuck for so long, what do you have to lose? I would move up in weight when my 4th and 5th set were 13 or higher, and I would put maximum effort into my sets. The body gets so used to failure at the higher reps that it has so much power stored up early on to take you deep into the rep count. Give it a shot, worst case is you will drive a ton of blood into your pecs and build up so good endurance.

swolehead is offline Member
    sets of 3 and singles when my max was 365 I would throw on 355 for 1 with about 3 minutes of rest and then lower the weigh wen I couldn't do it for 1 anymore

Thread Information