Mr. Small is offline Member

German Volume Training Progress?

Decided to mix it up with some GVT for a few weeks, probably 6 weeks of 10x10, then 2-3 weeks of 10x6.
    After getting 86 reps out of a possible 100 on the bench, next chest day 5 days later, i pressed 87 reps in total out of the target of 100. That was only a 1 rep increase in that cycle. I usually get an increase of 5 or 6 reps when i did GVT a couple of years ago.

Is that normal progress or is it a sign of not eating enough cals?

My diet is clean as it can be btw.

bulldoghorn is offline Junior Member
    I wouldn't base 1 week(from the prior week) on progress. See what it is like after several weeks. There are so many variables at play. Hell, sometimes I don't lift as much when I forget my ipod.

I will give it another spin. Bumped the cals by a whole egg. That is alot for me

Noticed that tri dips were down from the last day (5 days ago).......soooooo, i will give it the full 6 weeks i think, then switch to the 10x6 GVT for a bit of strength boost for 3 weeks.

If nothing else, it is something different and might help the plateau thing.

Chicagotarsier is offline Senior Member
    Your weight is too high on the bar. Reduce it by 5 lbs and try again. GVT has zero to do with how much you press. It has everything to do with DOING the reps and maintaining 60-90 seconds rest only between sets.

What is your cadence for the workout? GVT also requires strict cadence of weight motion. You never lock your arms on the top of motion nor stop the weight at bottom of motion. You press up as fast as you can and control slow on bringing it toward the chest. I think if you adhear to the cadence and drop 5-15 lbs on the bar you will be around where you need to be.

I started at 50 KG on the bar 20 weeks ago. I have done 3 x 6 week sessions of GVT since then and can do proper cadence at 120 KG 10x10 but it is not easy. Typically I increase 5 kg EOW. When I move up the weight I only miss 10x10 by 1-4 reps the first week.

86 reps would be 5 sets of 10 and 5 sets of 7...nowhere near close enough to get the desired results from the training. It is ok..lighten the bar....I guarentee anyone who talks crap to you after 10 weeks of GVT could not get under the bar and do what you are doing at 10x10 unless they are trainer quality..and they generally do not walk around talking crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Small View Post
    Decided to mix it up with some GVT for a few weeks, probably 6 weeks of 10x10, then 2-3 weeks of 10x6.
    After getting 86 reps out of a possible 100 on the bench, next chest day 5 days later, i pressed 87 reps in total out of the target of 100. That was only a 1 rep increase in that cycle. I usually get an increase of 5 or 6 reps when i did GVT a couple of years ago.

Is that normal progress or is it a sign of not eating enough cals?

My diet is clean as it can be btw.
    I am a religious GVT workout guy. It keeps me focused and off of the "how much can you bench" crap you deal with when you should be repping haha!!
    Last edited by Chicagotarsier; 10-30-2014 at 10:42 PM.

Did chest today with reduced weight, but very strict on the release back to the chest of around 4 seconds. The rest periods between sets for me are 90 seconds max.

Thread Information