Anabolics
Search More Than 6,000,000 Posts
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 41 to 52 of 52
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: The mental mind zone / are you trianing hard enough

  1. #41
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    toliet
    Posts
    887
    Quote Originally Posted by NACH3 View Post
    Also... 'failing or hitting true positive failure' on a regular basis is much much harder than it may seem... The set it just starting when your tired and think you've reached true positive failure yet we fail each day trying to achieve this and also FAIL when done right - it's an interesting way of looking at things and keeping ones perspective!
    yes, yesterday i was using all the advanced protocols, but i don't think i reached true failure. 1 being because i didn't stay longer than 1 hour and 2 being because i didn't drop set down to absolutely nothing. i could have kept going until i failed easily at the lowest weight available. whose knows how long i would have been there though. i got some pretty good isolation on my chest and biceps though. it felt like exactly what i wanted to do. the pump was really good.
    Last edited by Tlolec the toilet; 09-06-2016 at 10:14 AM.

  2. #42
    marcus300's Avatar
    marcus300 is offline AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    ENGLAND
    Posts
    39,634
    Quote Originally Posted by Tlolec View Post
    yes, yesterday i was using all the advanced protocols, but i don't think i reached true failure. 1 being because i didn't stay longer than 1 hour and 2 being because i didn't drop set down to absolutely nothing. i could have kept going until i failed easily at the lowest weight available. whose knows how long i would have been there though. i got some pretty good isolation on my chest and biceps though. it felt like exactly what i wanted to do. the pump was really good.
    You don't want to be using the advance protocols, you need to just train the body and mind to go to true failure, this isn't something you can just say your doing or do. It takes time to put your body under that much stress and be able to go into that zone, so imho forget all the advance protocols because all you will be doing is saving something in the tank to do the advance protocols. IMHO if your into HIT and you feel its something you want to work with come to the dungeon and read from page one it will change your life, body and mind.
    *Anyone wanting a source check from a willing vet/mod must first acquire 100 posts and 45 days of activity*

    “Carrying a set to a point where you are forced to utilize 100 percent of your momentary ability is the single most important factor in increasing size and strength"--- Mike Mentzer

    “one set to failure is all that is required to stimulate an increase in strength and size – with no number of lesser sets having the same effect” – Mike Mentzer

  3. #43
    NACH3's Avatar
    NACH3 is offline VET
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Baking chicken
    Posts
    19,049
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Tlolec View Post
    yes, yesterday i was using all the advanced protocols, but i don't think i reached true failure. 1 being because i didn't stay longer than 1 hour and 2 being because i didn't drop set down to absolutely nothing. i could have kept going until i failed easily at the lowest weight available. whose knows how long i would have been there though. i got some pretty good isolation on my chest and biceps though. it felt like exactly what i wanted to do. the pump was really good.
    You don't want to be in the gym longer than an hr... I know we're all different, however, if doing true HIT your working set will dictate your beyond failure protocols imho... And without reaching true positive failure you can not go beyond!

    Also, a pump is much different than actually tearing muscle fibers... Try doing two warm up sets to 10-12 reps(but not to failure but not light either... Then feel your way into your working set weight(hitting 4-6-maybe 8) but unable to move the weight any longer 1/4 reps down to nothing -

    Just try hitting failure first - and I mean true positive failure(I struggle still if not in my right mind set) it all starts there

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    toliet
    Posts
    887
    i'm really enjoying isolation and the pump at the moment. i want to focus on it. I've also been thinking of making a synergistic routine for myself and i did.

    i think i understand Nach. you're talking about partial reps, or complete failure to even move the weight. i was able to do this 2 weeks ago, but it's gotten difficult. a certain type of desperate need drove me to true positive failure. it was an uncomfortable sense of urgency. like an important race. my ego has been getting in the way and i'm getting cautious. maybe too cautious. gotta drink water. gotta eat a balanced meal every 2 hrs. gotta sleep

  5. #45
    OnTheGrindAgain is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    16
    I changed my ways of lifting when I restarted lifting last year , I hit it with a new approach and I've
    Never seen changes in my body so fast. If anyone has heard of George Leeman , he basically taught me how to funnel adrenaline and rage.

  6. #46
    marcus300's Avatar
    marcus300 is offline AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    ENGLAND
    Posts
    39,634
    Quote Originally Posted by OnTheGrindAgain View Post
    I changed my ways of lifting when I restarted lifting last year , I hit it with a new approach and I've
    Never seen changes in my body so fast. If anyone has heard of George Leeman , he basically taught me how to funnel adrenaline and rage.
    Glad to hear it, are things still going well?
    *Anyone wanting a source check from a willing vet/mod must first acquire 100 posts and 45 days of activity*

    “Carrying a set to a point where you are forced to utilize 100 percent of your momentary ability is the single most important factor in increasing size and strength"--- Mike Mentzer

    “one set to failure is all that is required to stimulate an increase in strength and size – with no number of lesser sets having the same effect” – Mike Mentzer

  7. #47
    marcus300's Avatar
    marcus300 is offline AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    ENGLAND
    Posts
    39,634
    Bump
    *Anyone wanting a source check from a willing vet/mod must first acquire 100 posts and 45 days of activity*

    “Carrying a set to a point where you are forced to utilize 100 percent of your momentary ability is the single most important factor in increasing size and strength"--- Mike Mentzer

    “one set to failure is all that is required to stimulate an increase in strength and size – with no number of lesser sets having the same effect” – Mike Mentzer

  8. #48
    godfather666's Avatar
    godfather666 is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    15
    Hi marcus im so happy finding this thread you won't believe me. i read every single post for the last hour and i can say that you are one truly amazing inspirational person. there is no words to describe the way you wrote everything. i was like in a completely different world reading your intense approach to lifting. hands down for you.

    Anyway by reading your supersets and dropsets technique i realized i was doing them wrong (well maybe not). the way i do dropset is first i start with feeler sets going up with weights until im ready for my working set. then i perform my first set 8-10 reps and then i drop weight resting like 30-40 sec and again perform another set but same rep range and then again drop weight. i think its called full pyramid set where you go weight up and down but same rep range. what do you think about this approach?

    The next approach would be superset. you wrote that when you perform superset it has to be in total 8-12 reps for both exercises but all this time (been training for 4 years now naturally) i was performing one exercise 8-12 reps and immediately performing another exercise but same 8-12 reps range. is it bad approach what do you think? again big respect for your thread.

  9. #49
    marcus300's Avatar
    marcus300 is offline AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    ENGLAND
    Posts
    39,634
    Quote Originally Posted by godfather666 View Post
    Hi marcus im so happy finding this thread you won't believe me. i read every single post for the last hour and i can say that you are one truly amazing inspirational person. there is no words to describe the way you wrote everything. i was like in a completely different world reading your intense approach to lifting. hands down for you.

    Anyway by reading your supersets and dropsets technique i realized i was doing them wrong (well maybe not). the way i do dropset is first i start with feeler sets going up with weights until im ready for my working set. then i perform my first set 8-10 reps and then i drop weight resting like 30-40 sec and again perform another set but same rep range and then again drop weight. i think its called full pyramid set where you go weight up and down but same rep range. what do you think about this approach?

    The next approach would be superset. you wrote that when you perform superset it has to be in total 8-12 reps for both exercises but all this time (been training for 4 years now naturally) i was performing one exercise 8-12 reps and immediately performing another exercise but same 8-12 reps range. is it bad approach what do you think? again big respect for your thread.
    Thank you very much means a lot to me

    A drop set is once your doing your working set you drop the weight as soon as you reach failure and move straight away on to the set again with less weight until failure is reached again, if possible you could add in a further 2nd drop set and repeat again. But I wouldn't rest 30-45 seconds between drop sets because than a version of a rest pause method which is different but still productive.

    The first thing you need to learn how to attack and perform is failure before you start going into dropsets, rest pause, negatives and forced. Failure is very hard to do and you cant just do it and it takes time for you to train your body to go into this zone, what you think failure is probably isn't.

    Remember going to true positive failure like I've describe previously hits the toughest muscle fibers what grow the biggest these are the fast twitch type 2b fibers, you hit these fibers and you will have the biggest chance of increasing in size. What we are aiming for is progression overload so you keep hitting the muscles with an increased weight so they need to change and adapt to the overload its being put under. This kind of continuous stress will have a reaction on the body and it will have no other alternative but to grow. We keep within the right rep range what stimulates the biggest growth and we continuously try and increase the intensity by increasing the reps then once the reps increase you increase the weight to bring the reps down within the correct range again. I can't stress enough about taking your muscle to true positive failure, this takes a lot of mental preparation. Once you hit failure these fibers starts to be stimulated and this is when most people stop the working set, with HIT you go to failure or beyond but learning to go to failure is first and this can take months even years to train yourself to do
    *Anyone wanting a source check from a willing vet/mod must first acquire 100 posts and 45 days of activity*

    “Carrying a set to a point where you are forced to utilize 100 percent of your momentary ability is the single most important factor in increasing size and strength"--- Mike Mentzer

    “one set to failure is all that is required to stimulate an increase in strength and size – with no number of lesser sets having the same effect” – Mike Mentzer

  10. #50
    godfather666's Avatar
    godfather666 is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by marcus300 View Post
    Thank you very much means a lot to me

    A drop set is once your doing your working set you drop the weight as soon as you reach failure and move straight away on to the set again with less weight until failure is reached again, if possible you could add in a further 2nd drop set and repeat again. But I wouldn't rest 30-45 seconds between drop sets because than a version of a rest pause method which is different but still productive.

    The first thing you need to learn how to attack and perform is failure before you start going into dropsets, rest pause, negatives and forced. Failure is very hard to do and you cant just do it and it takes time for you to train your body to go into this zone, what you think failure is probably isn't.

    Remember going to true positive failure like I've describe previously hits the toughest muscle fibers what grow the biggest these are the fast twitch type 2b fibers, you hit these fibers and you will have the biggest chance of increasing in size. What we are aiming for is progression overload so you keep hitting the muscles with an increased weight so they need to change and adapt to the overload its being put under. This kind of continuous stress will have a reaction on the body and it will have no other alternative but to grow. We keep within the right rep range what stimulates the biggest growth and we continuously try and increase the intensity by increasing the reps then once the reps increase you increase the weight to bring the reps down within the correct range again. I can't stress enough about taking your muscle to true positive failure, this takes a lot of mental preparation. Once you hit failure these fibers starts to be stimulated and this is when most people stop the working set, with HIT you go to failure or beyond but learning to go to failure is first and this can take months even years to train yourself to do
    Thanks a lot for the answer Marcus I have an idea now how I am going to attack the weights next time. I think you right saying that I don't reach the proper failure because I watched all those videos you posted with Dorian and for me I was thinking reaching failure is simply not able to lift anymore reps, but this is different approach. its a mentally approach to failure, because your partner can squeeze another 2-3 reps from you. Also a lot of good training methods can be done with a partner/spotter. That's the problem I don't have anyone I can rely on training intensely to get into the zone.

    But the main thing is that I have learned something and really helped me with my future training sessions thanks a lot again.

  11. #51
    marcus300's Avatar
    marcus300 is offline AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    ENGLAND
    Posts
    39,634
    Quote Originally Posted by godfather666 View Post
    Thanks a lot for the answer Marcus I have an idea now how I am going to attack the weights next time. I think you right saying that I don't reach the proper failure because I watched all those videos you posted with Dorian and for me I was thinking reaching failure is simply not able to lift anymore reps, but this is different approach. its a mentally approach to failure, because your partner can squeeze another 2-3 reps from you. Also a lot of good training methods can be done with a partner/spotter. That's the problem I don't have anyone I can rely on training intensely to get into the zone.

    But the main thing is that I have learned something and really helped me with my future training sessions thanks a lot again.
    Read this thread everything you need to know is here **Marcus's HIT Dungeon**
    *Anyone wanting a source check from a willing vet/mod must first acquire 100 posts and 45 days of activity*

    “Carrying a set to a point where you are forced to utilize 100 percent of your momentary ability is the single most important factor in increasing size and strength"--- Mike Mentzer

    “one set to failure is all that is required to stimulate an increase in strength and size – with no number of lesser sets having the same effect” – Mike Mentzer

  12. #52
    marcus300's Avatar
    marcus300 is offline AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    ENGLAND
    Posts
    39,634
    bump
    *Anyone wanting a source check from a willing vet/mod must first acquire 100 posts and 45 days of activity*

    “Carrying a set to a point where you are forced to utilize 100 percent of your momentary ability is the single most important factor in increasing size and strength"--- Mike Mentzer

    “one set to failure is all that is required to stimulate an increase in strength and size – with no number of lesser sets having the same effect” – Mike Mentzer

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •