Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Improving your Bench......at any level

Buster Brown is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrich4 View Post
    Benching wide grip is for geared lifters, not raw. Great way to get hurt
    It is a great way of getting hurt. I bench wide compared to most but have been gradually bringing my grip in closer.

Something that I have recently been made aware of is the speed in which I lower the bar to my chest prior to pressing it. In my pursuit for a stronger bench I was told that I bring the weight down too slow almost like a "fast negative" which really gases your triceps right off the bat making them work harder then necessary. This is a BB approach were as a PL brings it down in a controlled manner but is planning on letting it explode once it touches his chest. Its great to know both ways and be able to apply them comfortably.

Khazima is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Try using your lats to lower the bar, as you bring the bar down let your triceps rest on your lats and flex them so that you're not wasting tricep and chest strength on the negative.

Quote Originally Posted by Khazima View Post
    Try using your lats to lower the bar, as you bring the bar down let your triceps rest on your lats and flex them so that you're not wasting tricep and chest strength on the negative.

YouTube Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPMY06SVK0k
    That's what I rely on doing close grips.

Quote Originally Posted by Khazima View Post

YouTube Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPMY06SVK0k
    It does work especially well for guys who are more triceps benchers. I go fairly wide and have to angle my elbows in a bit so the whole movement works like its spring loaded.

Marc114 is offline Junior Member
    This was a great read. A lot of great information. However , I didn't read anything in regards to setting up for the bench. Now , I don't have nearly the experience or knowledge a lot of you posses, and as a PL , the set up for me is a huge deal. Is it not a big factor in BB ? I would guess that maybe leg drive in the BB world is not as important as it is in the PL world ? Cannot believe the amount of knowledge on this site in regards to lifting. Awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc114 View Post
    This was a great read. A lot of great information. However , I didn't read anything in regards to setting up for the bench. Now , I don't have nearly the experience or knowledge a lot of you posses, and as a PL , the set up for me is a huge deal. Is it not a big factor in BB ? I would guess that maybe leg drive in the BB world is not as important as it is in the PL world ? Cannot believe the amount of knowledge on this site in regards to lifting. Awesome.
    Set up how exactly? You need to tuck your shoulder blades in almost like you want them to touch,choose your grip(this is a whole other topic that was discussed), arch your back, keep your butt down, I set my legs down fairly wide, bring the bar down and in my mind prior to the bar touching my chest get ready to explode and drive the bar back up. Please ask if you have further questions and we will try to help.

I pretty much set up the same way with the exception that I tuck my legs under. I suppose with your legs out wide you are using more chest to bench without as much leg drive? I did have a question though in regards to benching , other than actually benching that way , is there a way to train for that 1-3 second pause at the bottom of the bench before you press ? At my last meet that almost killed me.

Khazima is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I pretty much set up the same way with the exception that I tuck my legs under. I suppose with your legs out wide you are using more chest to bench without as much leg drive? I did have a question though in regards to benching , other than actually benching that way , is there a way to train for that 1-3 second pause at the bottom of the bench before you press ? At my last meet that almost killed me.
    Just gotta do it more, especially leading up to a meet. that took some off my total at my last meet too, in prep for this meet i've been pausing anything under 6 reps. Also pausing my floor press/OHP/close-grips under 6 reps.

The closer you get to the meet the more specificity you want ie cutting out some accessory work, pausing all your reps, using all the gear you'll be using at the meet, singlet/shoes/wraps/belt etc.

Using bands is really good for exploding off the chest because you can drive through the whole lift a lot better (without worrying about throwing the bar at the roof of snapping your elbows).

And set-up is extremely important for maximal lifts, buster basically broke it down just fine but you'll need to find your best set-up, where you get the best leg drive, whether heels up or on the floor depending on your fed, hand placement, wrist positioning etc.

I have seen a few guys vary there leg placement. I have some short really exagerate and it looks like there heals are in line with there ass....hey, if it works for them and its a legit press awesome! For me, my ass would be off the bench if I tried to place them that far back. You could try Pin Presses......set yourself to bench in the rack and instead of setting the pins in the normal position set them level with your chest so you are pressing from the bottom off of the pins. Bring the weight back down touching the pins then explode up. A cambered bar will do almost the same thing with a bit more stretch. The chains and bands really aid in the middle to the top of the Rep as the increasingly load up the bar.

600@50 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster Brown View Post

Set up how exactly? You need to tuck your shoulder blades in almost like you want them to touch,choose your grip(this is a whole other topic that was discussed), arch your back, keep your butt down, I set my legs down fairly wide, bring the bar down and in my mind prior to the bar touching my chest get ready to explode and drive the bar back up. Please ask if you have further questions and we will try to help.
    This is a very good start in explaining the setup on the bench. If you are comfortable right before you unrack the weight then you are doing it all wrong. The correct setup position is very uncomfortable and should be difficult to get into. Look up some of Dave Tate's YouTube videos from elitefts dot com and also some videos from Metal Militia. Trust me it's much easier to watch it rather than try to verbally explain the bench setup. Also if you're going to compete you really need verbal cues from someone who can see what you're doing and how to correct it during the actual lift. You don't learn how to bench press in a week or a month or even a year for that matter. It's a process that takes time so don't get discouraged.

Quote Originally Posted by 600@50 View Post

This is a very good start in explaining the setup on the bench. If you are comfortable right before you unrack the weight then you are doing it all wrong. The correct setup position is very uncomfortable and should be difficult to get into. Look up some of Dave Tate's YouTube videos from elitefts dot com and also some videos from Metal Militia. Trust me it's much easier to watch it rather than try to verbally explain the bench setup. Also if you're going to compete you really need verbal cues from someone who can see what you're doing and how to correct it during the actual lift. You don't learn how to bench press in a week or a month or even a year for that matter. It's a process that takes time so don't get discouraged.
    Exactly 600.......there is a ton of technique(as you know) to having a good bench....I just merely scratch the surface and try to pass on some of the easier stuff to apply. One thing that was recently brought to my attention was when I was asked : how do you think a PL gets stronger who competes at the same weight year round? His technique!

Thanks for the information. I'm not getting discouraged at all , in fact I'm pretty happy with my progression so far, considering where I started. I just like to hear from people with more knowledge and experience than me, it's the only way to learn. I did start incorporating bands in my bench about 4 weeks ago , and I can see where that is definitely helping. I do recall reading where Louie Simmons had said that if your uncomfortable in your bench set up , it's probably right. I'm uncomfortable as hell in mine, so I must be on the right track! I've learned that technique is very , very important , not only in getting stronger but also controlling the weight better. I've noticed just little tweaks in my form result in better lifts.

Thanks for the information. I'm not getting discouraged at all , in fact I'm pretty happy with my progression so far, considering where I started. I just like to hear from people with more knowledge and experience than me, it's the only way to learn. I did start incorporating bands in my bench about 4 weeks ago , and I can see where that is definitely helping. I do recall reading where Louie Simmons had said that if your uncomfortable in your bench set up , it's probably right. I'm uncomfortable as hell in mine, so I must be on the right track! I've learned that technique is very , very important , not only in getting stronger but also controlling the weight better. I've noticed just little tweaks in my form result in better lifts.
    That's it bro, sounds like you are on the right path.

600@50 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    You'll notice while training that a particular rep or set felt extremely light and/or fast. That's when you know your form was close to perfect for YOU. Pay attention to this feeling and try to replicate it from set to set. It could anything so pay attention.

Quote Originally Posted by 600@50 View Post
    You'll notice while training that a particular rep or set felt extremely light and/or fast. That's when you know your form was close to perfect for YOU. Pay attention to this feeling and try to replicate it from set to set. It could anything so pay attention.
    Your right, it wasn't until I started going to a PL gym where there are some guys that really know there stuff. Wish I had done this years ago..... like you said, it gets to a point where you need someone there watching you to fine tune things. The importance of the set-up is huge and def uncomfortable ...lol

I wish I could draw a chalk outline around myself everytime I get that "perfect" set up so I can replicate it every time! I do sometimes film myself doing sets so when I do have that perfect setup I can see what I did right , and when I have a bad one I can see where it went wrong. Thanks for the advice guys!

I wish I could draw a chalk outline around myself everytime I get that "perfect" set up so I can replicate it every time! I do sometimes film myself doing sets so when I do have that perfect setup I can see what I did right , and when I have a bad one I can see where it went wrong. Thanks for the advice guys!
    Sooner or later it will become second nature....good luck

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information