spidermonkey is offline New Member

Training routine help

I guys been training on an off for a few years but ain't really got something to follow or know what I'm doing for that matter lol week kind of goes like this

Mon chest/ tri
    Bench press 3 sets 10
    Decline bench press 3 sets 10
    Incline dumbbell press 3sets 10
    Flys or cable cross overs 3sets 10
    Then drop sets of dumb bell bench press
    Few things for triceps not sure what they called lol

Tues shoulder
    Shoulder press machine 3 sets 10
    Shrugs 3sets 10
    Straight arm pull downs 3sets 10
    Up right rows 3 sets 10

Wednesday arms
    Bar bell curls 3 sets 10
    Hammer curls 3 sets 10
    Cable curls 3 sets 10
    Few other things not sure names

Thursday back
    Bent over rows 3 sets 10
    Dead lifts 3 sets 10
    This back machine thing 3 sets 10
    Lateral pull downs 3 sets 10
    Bent over dumbbell things lol 3 sets 10

Friday legs
    Leg press machine 3 sets 10
    Leg curls maching 3 sets 10
    Backward leg curls 3 sets 10
    Squats 3 sets 10

Sorry not good with the names guys be gentle with me desperate in need of a tidy routine

Khazima is offline Knowledgeable Member
    You're using the same muscles consecutively, not giving them time to recover. For example you use shoulders and triceps when you do chest/triceps then you're directly using shoulders and triceps again the next day then the day after you're doing triceps again (if by arms you mean arms not just biceps) then after arms you're doing back while your biceps are already fatigued.

Legs need more volume if you're only going to do them one a week. Try something like

Monday - chest/triceps
    Tuesday - back/biceps
    Wednesday - rest
    Thursday - legs
    Friday - shoulders/arms (or just shoulders if you're not an arms 2x a week kinda guy)
    Saturday/Sunday - rest

Or just do legs/push/pull/rest/repeat.

Thanks for the reply mate much appreciated looks a lot better what you've done for me are the things I'm doing okay or do they need a complete overall 2 lol forgot to mention I've started adding drop sets into my routine at the end of each session.

zempey is offline Anabolic Member
    I used to do chest before back, but I have found that starting the week with back has been better for my lagging chest.
    My split goes like this:
    Back
    Chest
    Rest/Cardio,Cardio if I am feeling good, rest if tired.
    Legs
    Shoulders
    Arms
    Rest/Cardio, Cardio if I am feeling good, rest if tired.

I don't like to do more than one part per day. I might do a quick set of tri's on chest day, or bi's on back day, but not usually.

What are your goals? The 3 sets of 10 are good for maintenance but not for growth really. On chest day I would put inclines ahead of declines, you need more energy to do inclines, IMO. You need to do calves on leg day, you don't have anything in there for them. Straight arm pulldowns as I know them aren't for shoulders, you need some rear delt exercises like bent over flies or reverse pec deck.

Hard_Body is offline Junior Member
    Yeah this is honestly one of the worst splits I have seen, are you not aware you use your triceps and shoulders when you train chest, your hitting delts the day after a chest workout,then arms after that, your triceps are getting hit 3 days in a row, then your training arms the day before a back workout, how do you expect to train your back optimally if your biceps are still recovering from the workout before, what makes it even worse is your hitting legs the last workout of the week the day after a hard back session, back and leg days should be separated at least 2 to 3 days since they make up 80 percent of the body, there is no way you should have anything left come Friday to get a good leg workout in. and your dead lifting the day before a leg workout...why are you doing that? your hitting your legs pretty much hitting legs back to back days , my split, Monday, deadlift and pull day, Tuesday push day Wednesday rest, Thursday legs, Friday rest, Saturday push, rest Sunday,allows 2 days between my back and leg days, allows a day of rest before a heavy deadlift session which is important so Im hitting those as hard as I can, then Im resting the day before a hard leg session so I can hit my legs with max intensity, if your natural you should not be training 5 days in a row for one thing. you put the 2 largest and most important workouts last in the week as well, most people like to do their heavier squat or dead lift sessions at the beginning of the week when they are freshest, there are so many things wrong with this split
    Last edited by Hard_Body; 12-20-2014 at 10:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zempey
    What are your goals? The 3 sets of 10 are good for maintenance but not for growth really. On chest day I would put inclines ahead of declines, you need more energy to do inclines, IMO. You need to do calves on leg day, you don't have anything in there for them. Straight arm pulldowns as I know them aren't for shoulders, you need some rear delt exercises like bent over flies or reverse pec deck.

Thanks for the info guys all the help need, I do reverse pec deck forgot about that 1, goals are to grow an lose weight if that makes sense, was training with somebody for a while but all he ever did was a thing called rest pause where we did 1 rep then rest 10secs an do another an so on for 15 reps but gone on my own now an ain't got a clue just been looking what some other guys are doing an copying them lol I forgot to mention I do toe presses on the leg machine that's for calves ain't it? Should i be going heavier with less reps to grow?

Hard_Body is offline Junior Member
    Post up your stats, weight, height, bodyfat, and yes rest pause is an excellent technique for growth because it allows you to get more reps then you would normally be able to get with a challenging weight. Just don't copy pros routines, stick to the compounds, squat,bench,dead lift and progress on them every week, more weight more reps, and you will grow. Keep the isolation exercises to a minimum

You need to find what your body responds the best to, if you can get 3x10 to work then do it. It hasn't shown the best growth results in most people's routines. Read through markus's diary thread, a lot of good training info in there, along with some good motivational reading.

17st 5ft 10 an obese lol all belly been doing 30 mins cardio an building up after each workout agree rest pause made my strength go up a lot managed to get upto benching 120kg but 110 for reps, and don't think the 3x10 is working strength is going up but not getting any bigger or no shape would the 5x5 be a better option with a heavier weight? Looked at a lot of stuff over the net an YouTube videos an a lot of stuff seems to be contradicting its self 1 says this is the best way then the other says not to do it

Ps thanks for being patient with me though guys lol

I like the 5x5 for the big movements or 4x8 if my joints are sore. During my cut I was doing 5x15, but I had a shoulder/elbow injury so I couldn't lift consistently heavy. If you keep the rest short and pace up, the 5x15 is good for burning cals and fat, plus muscular endurance goes up a fair bit.

Buster Brown is offline Knowledgeable Member
    One thing you need to ask yourself op is if you are training for size or strength? Bodybuilders train for hypertrophy and PL's train movements. Yes there is some overlap and borrowing of some principles and I think you can get alot out of cycling your training around both powerlifting and bodybuilding if you have goals.

Hi buster, I'm training for size firstly the cut if that's any sense mate

Buster Brown is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spidermonkey View Post
    Hi buster, I'm training for size firstly the cut if that's any sense mate
    Then you need to do your compound exercise working sets in the 6-8 Rep range....even the occasional set of 4.

papersteroidguy is offline New Member
    Cardio activity is stand out some piece of a weight reduction arrangement. You likewise need to redo your dietary patterns and set out on a weight-preparing system.

Thread Information