Merk227 is offline New Member

Dumbells or Barbells

Wuz up guy's just wanted to ask what's better when it come to developing a strong and solid chest.Dumbells or Barbells, because for the longest of time I've heard that dumbell's were better.This question is very important to me because I'v been doing lots of chest execrise still hav'nt develope a chest that am proud of.Not that am a weakling or anything but it seems that I'm just not growing anymore in the chest department.and all this time I'v been useing barbell instead of dumbell's.I was thinking that maybe i need to start shocking the muscle with different execrise's. What you guy's think .your advice would be greatly appricated.

RoNNy THe BuLL is offline Anabolic Member
    IMO Dumbells bro! And do not neglect FLIES! Flat, incline, decline, whatever the hell...do the damn flies. They'll make your chest grow and they isolate very, very well. Good luck bro!

LORDBLiTZ Guest
    I like dumbells to start it off,then i move to barbells.

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Dumbells will better recruit the muscle fibers but barbells also have their place.

Using Barbells allow you to use a maximum load to raise the intensity - to create a good compound movement. Using a maximum load helps you get past any intimidation of lifting heavier weights and makes subsiquent exercises seem lighter. It also help produce a good hormone surge for a better training stimulis.

Dumbells allow you to better isolate the pec major and minor. Plus, you can move at a more natural curve (cause your hands are not locked in a parallel plane on a bar).

IMO - its good to begin with a good compound movement(s) using a barbell - and then move onto a more isolation type free wieght exercise(s) using dumbells.

A basic example workout using both (w/machines) for size, as well as increasing limit strength:

Flat Barbell Press, 4 sets, 5-6 reps, 120 second RI
    Incline Dumbell Press, 3 sets, 10-12 reps, 90 second RI
    Incline Dumbell Flyes, 3 sets, 12-15 reps, 90 second RI
    Standing Decline Machine Flyes, 3 sets, 20 reps, 60 second RI

willpharmd is offline Junior Member
    Both have their place. I use both in my workouts for variety. And like Ronnie said, do the dumbbell flies, they'll give you one hell of a burn.

AndroholiK is offline Junior Member
    I use both too. I try to make my workouts a combination of both of them.

Like on chest day ill do: barbell incline press, dumbellpress, dumbell flies, and decline barbell press .

TheJuicer is offline Member
    I love to use both..I switch it up though..I'm now doing In. D.B. Press first then Flat Bench..In a month or so I will switch to Flat Bench then In. D.B. If I do all D.B. and then go back in a few months my bench reps suck...does anyone else have this problem?

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Originally posted by Peter North
    Warrior my inquiring mind is dying to know what a standing decline fly is?? and you have again impressed me with your vast array of training knowledge
    Right on... basically like this (you change between pec major and minor depending on your angle to the floor and hand grip):

markas214 is offline Senior Member
    I only use barbells to do squats and stiff legged deads. All the rest dumbells and Hammer Strength machines. The Hammer Strength are the first machines I've used that actually hit the muscles as good as free weights.

Thread Information