Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By zempey

Thread: Solely arm day. Bis and Tris

JohnnyClutch is offline Junior Member

Solely arm day. Bis and Tris

I dont really have a day for training just bis and tris. They usually get included in my pulling or pushing days. Once in a while i do like to dedicate a session solely to the bis and tris but im wondering what would be the best way to go about it. A full range of bicep exercises followed by a full range of tricep exercises? Or triceps first then biceps? Or alternate back and forth between bis and tris?
    What are your guys' thoughts?

Bio-Active is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    I dedicate one full day a week to bi's and tri's give it a try and I bet you like it

Quote Originally Posted by Bio-Active View Post
    I dedicate one full day a week to bi's and tri's give it a try and I bet you like it
    And im glad you bring that up. How do you squeeze that in without it interfering with back, chest or shoulders day. Or without those days affecting your arm day.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyClutch
    And im glad you bring that up. How do you squeeze that in without it interfering with back, chest or shoulders day. Or without those days affecting your arm day.
    just give your body a day in between. Arms will usually be after a day like chest when the tri's don't really hit that hard. As I have gotten older I have found that I only need to do 2 lifts that are pressed and then my other chest day lifts are a sort of fly.
    Last edited by Bio-Active; 02-28-2015 at 10:37 AM.

just give your body a day in between. Arms will usually be after a day like chest when the tri's don't really hit that hard. As I have gotten older I have found that I only need to do 2 lifts that are pressed and then my other chest day lifts are a sort of fly.
    I will try that. As far as the plan of attack for your arm day, any particular order superior? For example tris followed by bis/ bis followed by tris/alternate exercises between bis and tris? Or is there no method to the madness...

Buster Brown is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Another alternative is to do:
    Day 1) chest, bi's and triceps (2 exercises each for bi's and tri's)
    Day 2) legs
    Day 3) off
    Day 4) shoulders traps triceps (2/3 exercises for triceps)
    Day 5) Back, biceps ( 2/3 exercises)

Just something to consider

Marc114 is offline Junior Member
    I used to not really worry about my biceps and triceps. At least not dedicate any time to them specifically. But then I got sick of my arms resembling angel hair pasta and started dedicating a day to them. What seems to work for me is doing super sets alternating between biceps and triceps. And no matter how many or what type of curls I do , I can't match the results I get from doing simple old chin ups for bicep growth.

shaunjohn242002 is offline Associate Member
    Yes sir,
    Bis and tris on the same day is a sure way to get bigger arms. I like the feeling of all that blood in there. Just do a leg day after if you don't want to take a rest day.

shaunjohn242002 is offline Associate Member
    I usually burn one out then start on the other, but if you're in a hurry, alternate 1 set biceps then 1 set triceps with minimal rest. Get the f"ck out and go eat

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyClutch
    I will try that. As far as the plan of attack for your arm day, any particular order superior? For example tris followed by bis/ bis followed by tris/alternate exercises between bis and tris? Or is there no method to the madness...
    i alway do super sets. So I start with skull crushers and the immediately do some sort of bicep curl. Skull crushers put size on my tri's like no other lift I also like the plate loaded preacher curl for heavy bi's to failure. It's easy for your spotter to help you force reps. Those to are usually my first lifts

woody127 is offline Junior Member
    I agree with super setting arms. Me personally I find I am a lot more aggressive when doing bi and tri alternate. A year or so ago I actually read an article to basically add instant mass to your arms. Now here this it was spending 5 hours, yea 5 in the gym super setting arms every 20 minutes lol. But the article did warn you that you may incure some bruising....hmmm no thank you lol

Quote Originally Posted by woody127
    I agree with super setting arms. Me personally I find I am a lot more aggressive when doing bi and tri alternate. A year or so ago I actually read an article to basically add instant mass to your arms. Now here this it was spending 5 hours, yea 5 in the gym super setting arms every 20 minutes lol. But the article did warn you that you may incure some bruising....hmmm no thank you lol
    bruising from super setting arms is not likely. I been doing this for years and have never had any bruising from lifting

zempey is offline Anabolic Member
    I dedicate a day to arms, usually do tri's first since they are lagging compared to my bi's. This day falls after shoulder day then followed by a rest day to complete the weeks cycle. I was dealing with tendonitis in my elbow and biceps until a couple months ago so my bi's didn't really get anything for 6 months or so. I might do a bit of bi tri work on back or chest day just for a little extra pump, but I like them on their own day so I can completely crush them.

Super setting for 5 hours though every 20 mins? Ime not saying it works just saying I read it but you know how much crap is written lol I wouldn't try it. Just thought it was a bit silly

Super setting for 5 hours though every 20 mins? Ime not saying it works just saying I read it but you know how much crap is written lol I wouldn't try it. Just thought it was a bit silly
    sorry I didn't read that part. Spending any more then 1.5 hours in the gym is just silly. I eat 1 hour before training then it takes 45-60 minutes to weight train and 40 minutes low intensity cardio right after. Then it's time to go straight home and eat again

NACH3 is offline VET
    Blog Entries
    I always do bis and tris together... Suppersetted! Training in a HIIT fashion w/only 30 sec in between one full set... Time training 45-60 min! Great high intensity w/o!

Quote Originally Posted by NACH3
    I always do bis and tris together... Suppersetted! Training in a HIIT fashion w/only 30 sec in between one full set... Time training 45-60 min! Great high intensity w/o!
    there is just nothing like the swell you get on arm day

And to the ego lol

And to the ego lol
    eh no ego in my gym most the guys do not even look like they train

NACH3 is offline VET
    Blog Entries
    Not even close! I love when you can't touch anything close to your face! Lol gotta love that pump!

I was getting forearm cramps today when ever I bent my arms 90* or more. Arm day pump is awesome.
    NACH3 likes this.

Had a phenomenal arm workout.
    Close grip bench
    Weighted Dips
    Rope tri ext
    Seated mechanical tri ext
    Pullups
    Overhand bar curls
    DB preacher curls
    Barbell curls

Had a mean pump goin during tris, then it all went to the bis. Next time ill switch it then maybe super set back n forth the following week.
    Now my next issue is bringing food to face!! My bis are locking up already, anyone have advice to alleviate that??

Quote Originally Posted by NACH3 View Post

Not even close! I love when you can't touch anything close to your face! Lol gotta love that pump!
    Lol last week after arms I couldn't even carry bike up the stairs and the neighbour just couldn't resist laughing lol

davesah1 is offline Member
    I second this. I can never get a similar arm workout if pairing them with a major body part.
    i.e
    After doing back, theres no way I can get a workout with the same quality, intensity, and poundage for bi's. One could do triceps but back workouts leave me depleted as it is.

Whether its actually a proven fact or not, I remember hearing somewhere that your body will primarily focus recovery on the larger more significant body part. Pretty much, bigger damaged muscle group=higher priority. This effect hold true for other (unrelated) things. Have a back ache.... break your arm, back ache becomes negligible. ha

Not to be taken in the sense that your arms won't grow, rather the larger muscle like your back eats up more nutrients (aminos, glycogen etc.) leaving less for the biceps or triceps. Versus an arm's only day where the primary focus is just, well, arm recovery/growth.

I think it makes sense, but I question its actual significance. Plus genetics is a huge factor. IMO if you have crappy/lagging arms give them their own day.

One thing I never saw a result from was the "just do heavy compound lifts and your arms will grow with that alone no need for isolating them"
    ^Genetics guy

Has anyone tried the grip with 21's? Use full range of motion, 7 wide with 3 second negative, 7 medium 3 sec neg, 7 narrow 3 sec neg. I did these this week and damn they fired up my bi's. I saw it on facebook, think it was a muscle and fitness article.

davesah1 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zempey View Post
    Has anyone tried the grip with 21's? Use full range of motion, 7 wide with 3 second negative, 7 medium 3 sec neg, 7 narrow 3 sec neg. I did these this week and damn they fired up my bi's. I saw it on facebook, think it was a muscle and fitness article.
    I can imagine, the bi's were probably not used to that degree of time under tension. Exploiting time under tension is painful yet productive, except with legs day then its miserable lol.

Sometime I'll do something similar with dumbbell preacher curls. Arm straight then ill angle my arm into my chest, and then away from it.
    Last edited by davesah1; 03-01-2015 at 03:01 PM.

I started off too light, did the weight the guy in the video was doing, he looked to be struggling a bit. Ended up at 95 for my last set, will start with that next week. Would love to do 135 but that might take some time to build up the endurance.

NACH3 is offline VET
    Blog Entries
    This am hit bis and tris in a HIIT fashion while suppersetting back and forth to equal 1full set!

1. Straight bar curl/close grip bench & light tricep extensions(1 At a time...rep range 6-10 failure in any of my ranges - except for the tri extensions 12-15)
    2. Z-Bar(close grip) curls/tri pushdowns(w/triangle) rep range(10-12)
    3. DB hammers/weighted dips rep rng(8-12)
    4. Cable curls(close grip bar)/rope pushdowns rep range(10-15)
    5. Hammer strength Preachers focusing on eccentric motion/gamer strength tri extensions rep range(10-12)

No more than 30s in between one full set! Great pump! Love doing bis and tris together... IMO nothing compares to the pump, and my arms respond nicely to this type of w/o!

Buster Brown is offline Knowledgeable Member
    This am hit bis and tris in a HIIT fashion while suppersetting back and forth to equal 1full set!

1. Straight bar curl/close grip bench & light tricep extensions(1 At a time...rep range 6-10 failure in any of my ranges - except for the tri extensions 12-15)
    2. Z-Bar(close grip) curls/tri pushdowns(w/triangle) rep range(10-12)
    3. DB hammers/weighted dips rep rng(8-12)
    4. Cable curls(close grip bar)/rope pushdowns rep range(10-15)
    5. Hammer strength Preachers focusing on eccentric motion/gamer strength tri extensions rep range(10-12)

No more than 30s in between one full set! Great pump! Love doing bis and tris together... IMO nothing compares to the pump, and my arms respond nicely to this type of w/o!
    I think hit is the best for an arms day. Hard, intense but brief.

skaz915 is offline Member
    I used to train bis and tris on their own when i was lifting heavy. A few sets of bis few sets of tris..few more bis few more tris etc. Now that I'm lifting light weight for high reps I incorporate them into just fill in excercises
    Last edited by skaz915; 03-04-2015 at 04:15 PM.

Ive noticed a lot of ppl at the gym overlook grip variation. It can have a huge impact on muscles by focusing the tension at different angles. I personally think its the "secret" to full, developed aesthetic muscles. For example my first set of barbell curls can be a little wider than shoulder width, my next set might be a little narrower than shoulder, etc etc. This can pretty much apply to almost any exercise. You guys do the same??

NACH3 is offline VET
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyClutch View Post
    Ive noticed a lot of ppl at the gym overlook grip variation. It can have a huge impact on muscles by focusing the tension at different angles. I personally think its the "secret" to full, developed aesthetic muscles. For example my first set of barbell curls can be a little wider than shoulder width, my next set might be a little narrower than shoulder, etc etc. This can pretty much apply to almost any exercise. You guys do the same??
    Absolutely! The wider you go it hits the inside head, the narrower the focus is on the outter! I'm a huge fan in changing grips,both pronating/supinating your grip really hits those forearms, too... Wide and narrow grips and DBs, cables, incline curls(elbows in hands/wrists wide, etc...

Have you tried suppersetting a set of bis and then tris throughout your arm w/o w/very high intensity(30s in between a set HIIT??

Absolutely! The wider you go it hits the inside head, the narrower the focus is on the outter! I'm a huge fan in changing grips,both pronating/supinating your grip really hits those forearms, too... Wide and narrow grips and DBs, cables, incline curls(elbows in hands/wrists wide, etc...

Have you tried suppersetting a set of bis and then tris throughout your arm w/o w/very high intensity(30s in between a set HIIT??
    Why the hell havent i tried that yet???? That sounds great

NACH3 is offline VET
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyClutch View Post
    Why the hell havent i tried that yet???? That sounds great
    Man, I tell ya... Yhat pump(nothing even close relates) as your pumping the whole arm at once... I've had great results w/this... As I have w/training agonist/antagonist(opposing muscles at all times)... This helps keep those synergists firing(example: chest/back(but bis & tris are being used) this Aldo keeps my forearms from not needing to really hit(they get pounded enough throughout the week w/all the grip changes no straps etc!

Try it and lemme know how to like it!

Lee_1978 is offline Member
    What do people think about doing biceps on a chest day? I used to train my arms separately, but I want to mix things up a little when I go on cycle, so I plan on doing a chest/bicep routine and a tricep/back routine.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee_1978 View Post
    What do people think about doing biceps on a chest day? I used to train my arms separately, but I want to mix things up a little when I go on cycle, so I plan on doing a chest/bicep routine and a tricep/back routine.
    Ive thought of doing that as well. Its variation from the typical pressing muscles/pulling muscles split. Not a bad idea. Whatever "shocks" your muscles is a good thing.

Thread Information