• 1 Post By -Ender-
  • 3 Post By marcus300
  • 1 Post By marcus300
  • 2 Post By marcus300
  • 1 Post By marcus300

Thread: Does HIT really work?

JohnnyJim is offline Banned

Does HIT really work?

I've never tried it before because I don't believe it works.

But what about the people here who do or did it? Does it really work?

I have a strong opinion against it, but I'm very hesitant to talk smack about it or anything considering my level of development right now...

Plus, I'm kinda not bodybuilding right now. A 500-pound ATG squat is my obsession, not a V-taper. lol.

Buster Brown is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyJim
    I've never tried it before because I don't believe it works. But what about the people here who do or did it? Does it really work? I have a strong opinion against it, but I'm very hesitant to talk smack about it or anything considering my level of development right now... Plus, I'm kinda not bodybuilding right now. A 500-pound ATG squat is my obsession, not a V-taper. lol.
    HIT def works without a doubt. I use it when I cut and swear by it. Marcus turned me onto it and although I don't use it year round I would strongly encourage anyone to do at least 8-12 weeks a year of HIT training. Check out the Dorian Yates on you tube titled blood and guts......fantastic stuff.
    NACH3 and almostgone like this.

Bio-Active is online now AR-Hall of Famer
    Marcus recently turned me on to the HIT training as well and yes it is very effective
    almostgone likes this.

NACH3 is offline VET
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bio-Active View Post
    Marcus recently turned me on to the HIT training as well and yes it is very effective
    ^^^^ I'll say it for a third! I too recently switched & Marcus has taught me things/approaches/mind - muscle control/going to/& past true positive failure(drops, forces, negs, RPs, etc) that is unrivaled by any other kind of training, IMO!

I'll never train another way(barring my body will hold up) but I will say it's helped(training heavier) w/my shoulder injuries... As weird as it may sound it's better on me than light weight high reps...
    almostgone likes this.

8-12 weeks of trial period shouldn't hurt.

Do you recommend it for beginners or deconditioned people?

-Ender- is offline Not Retired
    It is my staple.

tearing tissue is the only way to grow in size and strength. With HIT I can effectively train a muscle group once a week in 60 min or less.

People that don't like it are not performing the routines correctly or have not seen first hand what it can accomplish.
    almostgone likes this.

marcus300 is offline ~Retired~ AR-Platinum Elite-Hall of Famer ~
    It takes a lot of hard work and dedication but for sure HIT builds serious muscle tissue. Its not something you can just decide to do for 10 -12 weeks because it will tae you longer to fully understand what's involved to really train HIT, check out my thread in the lounge and if you read it from the start you will fully understand what it takes to train pure HIT.

Oh and of course it works

Quote Originally Posted by marcus300
    It takes a lot of hard work and dedication but for sure HIT builds serious muscle tissue. Its not something you can just decide to do for 10 -12 weeks because it will tae you longer to fully understand what's involved to really train HIT, check out my thread in the lounge and if you read it from the start you will fully understand what it takes to train pure HIT. Oh and of course it works
    I sooooo wish my joints could handle it year round?

NACH3 is offline VET
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster Brown View Post
    Don't we all Buster, don't we ALL!

Khazima is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyJim View Post

I have a strong opinion against it, but I'm very hesitant to talk smack about it or anything considering my level of development right now...

Plus, I'm kinda not bodybuilding right now. A 500-pound ATG squat is my obsession, not a V-taper. lol.
    If you're looking to get a 500lb squat you should be looking into well thought out periodized squatting routines and finding what helps you put the most weight on the bar.

Just about anything 'works', what's optimal is another story.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Brown View Post
    Tell me about it lol at my stage my pullbacks are getting longer than the HIT. But nothing else holds my size or thickness than HIT.
    almostgone likes this.

kapper is offline Associate Member
    I absolutely HIT, this forum and dorian yates have chnaged my whole training mind set.. I love the pain/pump and results. Like said above i do it until i know i need a break lol

Quote Originally Posted by marcus300 View Post
    It takes a lot of hard work and dedication but for sure HIT builds serious muscle tissue. Its not something you can just decide to do for 10 -12 weeks because it will tae you longer to fully understand what's involved to really train HIT, check out my thread in the lounge and if you read it from the start you will fully understand what it takes to train pure HIT.

I'm trying to find your thread but I'm having trouble. Can you show me how to find it? Interesting in learning about HIT.

NACH3 is offline VET
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesThe4th View Post
    I'm trying to find your thread but I'm having trouble. Can you show me how to find it? Interesting in learning about HIT.
    It's in the Lounge(off topic) "Marcus' Diary"...

Quote Originally Posted by NACH3 View Post

It's in the Lounge(off topic) "Marcus' Diary"...
    Thank you sir

kikiboi is offline Junior Member
    hey marcus is this information all in your diary? curious about your info on hit

Quote Originally Posted by marcus300 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by kikiboi View Post
    hey marcus is this information all in your diary? curious about your info on hit
    Yes everything you need to know plus more

Its a long read but worth it http://forums.steroid.com/anabolic-l...ary%2A%2A.html
    kikiboi and almostgone like this.

kikiboi is offline Junior Member
    thank you.

pushit_05 is offline Junior Member
    Have A LOT of respect for Marcus and other members who try this but I have to say I do not think HIT is very effective. I tried deperatly to work it when I was younger and was on a Mentzer kick. For pure size nothing has kept me bigger then just pure volume. Maybe HIT is more effective if your on cycle?

hawk14dl is offline Senior Member
    Everyone responds differently. For some, hit is the ticket. For others, high volume.

Some bastards just look at a gym and grow. (We hate those guys).

Gotta find what works for you.

Quote Originally Posted by pushit_05
    Have A LOT of respect for Marcus and other members who try this but I have to say I do not think HIT is very effective. I tried deperatly to work it when I was younger and was on a Mentzer kick. For pure size nothing has kept me bigger then just pure volume. Maybe HIT is more effective if your on cycle?
    Hmmmmm, I think your the first guy I have heard say that. Take a look at the Dorian Yates "blood and guts" videos on you tube if you haven't already.

Quote Originally Posted by hawk14dl View Post
    Everyone responds differently. For some, hit is the ticket. For others, high volume.

Some bastards just look at a gym and grow. (We hate those guys).

Gotta find what works for you.

I read one time where Tom Platz was being interviewed. He said something like, "Arnold trains 1 million sets a week and grows. If I do the same, I'll become Chicken-Legs. I respond better from low frequency (3 days a week) training but with ridiculous intensity."

Khazima is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I read one time where Tom Platz was being interviewed. He said something like, "Arnold trains 1 million sets a week and grows. If I do the same, I'll become Chicken-Legs. I respond better from low frequency (3 days a week) training but with ridiculous intensity."
    You shouldn't be looking to 250lb @ 10% BF masters of their trade + copious amount of drugs to copy for a training routine. If you want to look to anyone without doing your own experimenting you should look to natural guys your size or your naturally achievable size who have achieved the exact goals you want (ie a 500lb squat) like jonnie candito, josh hancott, layne norton, simon and garret from massthetics etc.

At the same time starting with as low volume as you possibly can to still make progress is ideal. If you can make progress doing 3 sets of squats a week, that's perfect, do that until it requires 4 sets so on and so forth.

Quote Originally Posted by pushit_05 View Post
    Was your doing it correctly and long enough to reap the rewards
    almostgone likes this.

Ashop is offline Anabolic Member

I believe that you should mix training up frequently to stimulate new gains,,,,with that said HIT most definitely can work
    and has its place in training.

I was training that way for a year before switching to Gironda style, then I got into powerlifting...Back when I was running HIT I would do full body and then stay out of the gym until I was recovered. My upper body was always ready to go before my lower. I would use flexability as a guide before I would head back to the gym. Usually somewhere between 3-5 days before I did full body HIT again.

Dorian Yates "blood and guts" videos on you tube if you haven't already.
    Dorian was on MASSIVE cycles from what I remember and he was also one of the most injured BBers we know of. Clearly his style worked to the point where it broke him.

I was training that way for a year before switching to Gironda style, then I got into powerlifting...Back when I was running HIT I would do full body and then stay out of the gym until I was recovered. My upper body was always ready to go before my lower. I would use flexability as a guide before I would head back to the gym. Usually somewhere between 3-5 days before I did full body HIT again. Dorian was on MASSIVE cycles from what I remember and he was also one of the most injured BBers we know of. Clearly his style worked to the point where it broke him.
    Hard to say what his cycles were or weren't . Training every body part in the 4 day split he used I think allows for ample recovery time. I don't do Hit year round but employ it on my cutting cycles and at 45 I think it's a fantastic method to use.

NACH3 is offline VET
    Blog Entries
    I was training that way for a year before switching to Gironda style, then I got into powerlifting...Back when I was running HIT I would do full body and then stay out of the gym until I was recovered. My upper body was always ready to go before my lower. I would use flexability as a guide before I would head back to the gym. Usually somewhere between 3-5 days before I did full body HIT again.

Dorian was on MASSIVE cycles from what I remember and he was also one of the most injured BBers we know of. Clearly his style worked to the point where it broke him.
    I wouldn't say Massive cycles(but he used a different theory) which is only for advanced users - "Short Burst Cycling" Marcus has also wrote a sticky on this as well as "The Prime before Cycling"

I wasn't sure what you meant by massive cycles(long periods)? Not true! He also used his bodies Anabolic state(after winning Mr. O he'd be in the gym the very next day as his body is like a shriveled up sponge thsts just waiting for muscle stimulation and growth(which comes very quickly in this bodies state)... Just my .02 that I've learned since being here, and what truly tears those fibers up!

I mean the amount of gear he was on. Training comes down to whatever keeps you motivated and in the gym. I wasn't bashing HIT, I just personally prefer a Ronnie Coleman style if I am going to try to add mass. I will say with 100% confidence that HIT is not a good method for strength training.

Hard to say what his cycles were or weren't . Training every body part in the 4 day split he used I think allows for ample recovery time. I don't do Hit year round but employ it on my cutting cycles and at 45 I think it's a fantastic method to use.
    This is where I get confused as this doesn't sound like HIT to me. HIT as far as I remember was a full body routine and then stay out of the gym until you are fully recovered. A 4 day split is just a typical BB routine. I could 100% be wrong on this. I would think it would have to be or maybe even an upper/lower split. Arther Jones himself said only workout each muscle group once a week. If your going to true failure (and beyond) then even using that group as a stabilizer or assistant muscle would be hindering recovery.

NACH3 is offline VET
    Blog Entries
    I mean the amount of gear he was on. Training comes down to whatever keeps you motivated and in the gym. I wasn't bashing HIT, I just personally prefer a Ronnie Coleman style if I am going to try to add mass. I will say with 100% confidence that HIT is not a good method for strength training.

This is where I get confused as this doesn't sound like HIT to me. HIT as far as I remember was a full body routine and then stay out of the gym until you are fully recovered. A 4 day split is just a typical BB routine. I could 100% be wrong on this. I would think it would have to be or maybe even an upper/lower split. Arther Jones himself said only workout each muscle group once a week. If your going to true failure (and beyond) then even using that group as a stabilizer or assistant muscle would be hindering recovery.
    I will say that makes sense about the gear! And I'm not sayin your bashin HIT.... Not everyone gets the same results...

HIT absolutely can put size and thickness on you(in those working sets and drops you still incorporate the same 6-10 or whatever you prefer rep range: the one working set(4-5 reps) same weight another 2-3x if a DD than another right after for maybe 1-2 and your still in that 6-10 rep range for hypertrophy(or 4-8)... And yes one BP a day maybe(7-10 days) and split it anyway you want just push pull kegs push etc etc...

I mean the amount of gear he was on. Training comes down to whatever keeps you motivated and in the gym. I wasn't bashing HIT, I just personally prefer a Ronnie Coleman style if I am going to try to add mass. I will say with 100% confidence that HIT is not a good method for strength training. This is where I get confused as this doesn't sound like HIT to me. HIT as far as I remember was a full body routine and then stay out of the gym until you are fully recovered. A 4 day split is just a typical BB routine. I could 100% be wrong on this. I would think it would have to be or maybe even an upper/lower split. Arther Jones himself said only workout each muscle group once a week. If your going to true failure (and beyond) then even using that group as a stabilizer or assistant muscle would be hindering recovery.
    Hit isn't a full body routine and if you checked out the videos Yates videos you would have a better understanding. Anyway, at the end of the day you have to find and do what works best for you.

Aurther Jones "invented" HIT along with nautaulis. Dorian follows more in the footsteps of Mentzer who also claimed to be a hit advocate. This is the routine Jones had Casey do during the Colorado Experiment which is where I got the program I followed from:

Casey Viator - His Workout Routine

Aurther Jones "invented" HIT along with nautaulis. Dorian follows more in the footsteps of Mentzer who also claimed to be a hit advocate. This is the routine Jones had Casey do during the Colorado Experiment which is where I got the program I followed from: Casey Viator - His Workout Routine
    You are right correct and it is even rumored that HIT was developed to get gym membership up because it was a short workout that would provide optimum results. The routine that I see most guys follow is basically a 4 day split using HIT principles. Workouts are quicker and with the extra time cardio can be implemented making it great for a cut (personally). I train as a PL as well and believe you a balance of both will help you develop better......but that's me.

Oh gotcha, I tried looking in Marcus's thread but couldn't put together what a 4 day split would look like. I did google Dorian Yates plan and it looks a lot like Mentzers. Do the guys who follow hit always hit the gym on those 4 days or do they leave more time for recovery? I think Tim Ferris covers this in the 4 hour body as well.

Oh gotcha, I tried looking in Marcus's thread but couldn't put together what a 4 day split would look like. I did google Dorian Yates plan and it looks a lot like Mentzers. Do the guys who follow hit always hit the gym on those 4 days or do they leave more time for recovery? I think Tim Ferris covers this in the 4 hour body as well.
    It can be whatever you want but it just so happens that for me the split he outlines works well and I get enough recovery time which is an individual thing. Dorians 4 day routine is just a good template to get you started and you could tweak it from there.

Thread Information