Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By musclestack

Thread: Shoulder pain on chest day

RewardingLabor is offline Associate Member

Shoulder pain on chest day

I've been experiencing really bad pain in my front deltoids, right about where it intersects with the chest after chest day. It's so bad that some days I can't even do flys or decline bench. Weirdly a lot of what i've read says decline bench should be easier on the shoulders, but in my experience the opposite has been true. I thought my case may not follow the common logic because I do decline after flat and incline, so I switched the order and it was still worst during decline.

I looked through the forums and online a bit and found some suggestions, moving my arms in closer, not letting the elbows flare out as much were the main ideas. I've tried both and there has been no change in the amount of shoulder pain. I even tried reverse grip dumbbell presses… not surprisingly that wasn't really helpful either. I also tried switching to machines and dumbbells and that didn't help either.

My current theory is that I have been completely exhausting my pecs and then the shoulders kick in to compensate later in the workout. So maybe I just need to do less work?

What else can I try to reduce shoulder pain during flat, incline, decline, bench press and flys?

Khazima is offline Knowledgeable Member
    First, give it some rest and ease back into it to let the inflammation dissipate. Your best option would be to see a doctor and get your shoulder scanned for a rotator cuff injury. Don't take no for an answer, they might do some tests where they get you to move your arms around a little but just say you want a proper scan looking at your rotator cuff regardless of what their opinion is.

Decline is terrible on my shoulders too, i've cut out a lot of my chest accessory work because i've got my bench to the point where i can bench pain free with quite high volume and frequency. Then i might do a few extra sets of low incline DB press and high rep chest fly's to help loosen everything up and get some blood flowing around but that's it. If i do too much overhead or lateral work my shoulders begin to flair up a lot worse.

Buster Brown is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I would definitely back off .....skip chest for a week and then adjust the amount of weight and volume you are doing. Sounds to me like your triceps are the culprit. Chest exercises are about the triceps just as much as the chest. I would focus on strengthening them which will take a lot of the shoulder out of the press.

scotty51312 is offline Transformation Challenge Trainer
    Sometimes its all about your form when it comes to chest. Your pecs are also responsible for moving your shoulders forward in the socket. At the bottom of each rep (flies or presses) try imagining there is a tube of toothpaste between your shoulder blades you are trying to squeeze. This helped me with shoulder pain and helped me use more chest and less tricept

But I definitely agree with some time off. Sometimes you just have to hit the reset button

NACH3 is offline VET
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by scotty51312 View Post
    Sometimes its all about your form when it comes to chest. Your pecs are also responsible for moving your shoulders forward in the socket. At the bottom of each rep (flies or presses) try imagining there is a tube of toothpaste between your shoulder blades you are trying to squeeze. This helped me with shoulder pain and helped me use more chest and less tricept

But I definitely agree with some time off. Sometimes you just have to hit the reset button
    Take some time for sure, and does it hurt not doing anything, or just moving it around(ROM)???

I have this problem(except mine us in the rear delt)... I've switched from BB to smith and then DBs... I would suggest trying DBS as it'll keep your elbows from winging out(if you go down, instead of keeping the DBs horizontally in a parallel line, try bringing them down to a neutral grip instead.... This has really helped my shoulder pain along w/finding the right split for your bodies weak links and injuries can be a life saver...

GL OP!

jackfrost88 is offline Associate Member
    Hard to know for sure but might have to do with your form on the bench. Do you tuck your shoulder blades back and down when you bench? If not your putting a lot of pressure on your shoulders, used to have the same problem.

[QUOTE="jackfrost88"]Hard to know for sure but might have to do with your form on the bench. Do you tuck your shoulder blades back and down when you bench? If not your putting a lot of pressure on your shoulders, used to have the same problem.[/QUOT

He answered that in his original post.

musclestack is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RewardingLabor View Post
    I've been experiencing really bad pain in my front deltoids, right about where it intersects with the chest after chest day. It's so bad that some days I can't even do flys or decline bench. Weirdly a lot of what i've read says decline bench should be easier on the shoulders, but in my experience the opposite has been true. I thought my case may not follow the common logic because I do decline after flat and incline, so I switched the order and it was still worst during decline.

I looked through the forums and online a bit and found some suggestions, moving my arms in closer, not letting the elbows flare out as much were the main ideas. I've tried both and there has been no change in the amount of shoulder pain. I even tried reverse grip dumbbell presses… not surprisingly that wasn't really helpful either. I also tried switching to machines and dumbbells and that didn't help either.

My current theory is that I have been completely exhausting my pecs and then the shoulders kick in to compensate later in the workout. So maybe I just need to do less work?

What else can I try to reduce shoulder pain during flat, incline, decline, bench press and flys?
    I've had a pain in my right shoulder since I was about 20 years old. I went in the gym on chest day one day, put 225 pounds on without warming up and decided to rep them out really fast. Big mistake! Up until a few months ago, I've had that same pain in my shoulder everytime I would bench or shoulder press. Then, I discovered TB500. I ran a 16 week course of it, and my shoulder pain completely resolved at about the 13-14 week mark. I'm not saying you need this, but after you've tried the others' suggestions here, if that doesn't work, TB500 may just be your way forward. Good luck!
    NACH3 likes this.

jstone is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I had the same problem, and your best bet is to rest. If it continues after rest go see an ortho. My problem was that my sub scapular muscles were week, and the chest muscle were stronger pulling my shoulders forward causing an impingement. I went to the ortho, and he sent me to an occupational therapist. After stretching the chest muscle, and strengthening the sub scapular muscles my shoulders fee great. I also now wear an intelleskin shirt, which helps keep the shoulders in the proper place.

Ever since I did this I have had zero shoulder problems. You can also look up exercises, and stretches for kyphotic posture. A lot of these exercise helped a lot, while I was doing it I was able to continue lifting, I just discontinued all chest exercises, and over head presses.

NACH3 is offline VET
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jstone View Post
    I had the same problem, and your best bet is to rest. If it continues after rest go see an ortho. My problem was that my sub scapular muscles were week, and the chest muscle were stronger pulling my shoulders forward causing an impingement. I went to the ortho, and he sent me to an occupational therapist. After stretching the chest muscle, and strengthening the sub scapular muscles my shoulders fee great. I also now wear an intelleskin shirt, which helps keep the shoulders in the proper place.

Ever since I did this I have had zero shoulder problems. You can also look up exercises, and stretches for kyphotic posture. A lot of these exercise helped a lot, while I was doing it I was able to continue lifting, I just discontinued all chest exercises, and over head presses.
    Same here jstone - just a lil different but all rear delt related(broke my r scapula too) so my whole right side I have bad nerve damage and spasming up neck into occipital, and down arm into hand... This still happens daily until I get a replacement since my joint(screws backed out in between the ball and socket) creating many bone spurs and instead of my humoral head(ball) being round it's now square... Just been able to start doing Military Press w/smith(closer grip helps) but my ROM is so bad I can't use DBs as my right arm won't go as high as left...

I wear Tommy Copper what kind of compression shirt do you wear?

Always something lol

gearbox is offline Knowledgeable Member
    dealing with this issue myself. I cant do any flies or cables or lateral raises casue of pain. its been almost 3 weeks and the pain is definitely less and almost gone. I just work around it. if it hurts I do less weight or not that exercise. I did lateral raises last weak with 2.5 lbs and burned them our with over 100 reps. I was sore in the rear delts too

C3RB3RUS is offline Banned
    has anyone used peptides. Roman has a log on tb500. the results were less than stellar, but an impact was noted. obviously, some, ( I know myself) are interested. I haven't yet checked out what else is available on AR, or anywhere else; I think i might get some TB500. I really liked GHRP/GHRH. while i'm on this low carb/to no carb/to incidental carb diet, getting some peps would be awesome.

Is intelliskin that good? seems expensive for a shirt.

here's a breakdown TB500 -- Learn how it works!

and here is a log Roman's TB-500 log...........

actually roman said the stuff was great in the 'breakdown page'
    Last edited by C3RB3RUS; 04-18-2015 at 03:26 PM.

[QUOTE=Buster Brown;7036428]
    Quote Originally Posted by jackfrost88
    Hard to know for sure but might have to do with your form on the bench. Do you tuck your shoulder blades back and down when you bench? If not your putting a lot of pressure on your shoulders, used to have the same problem.[/QUOT

He answered that in his original post.
    No he didn't. Nothing about pulling the shoulder blades back or maintaining a healthy arch. Many people don't do this and get shoulder pain is why I brought it up. Not flaring the elbows out or switching to decline is not enough

NACH3 is offline VET
    Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=jackfrost88;7036985]
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster Brown View Post

No he didn't. Nothing about pulling the shoulder blades back or maintaining a healthy arch. Many people don't do this and get shoulder pain is why I brought it up. Not flaring the elbows out or switching to decline is not enough
    Were you referring to me?

I do have correct form as I Always pull my blades back as I have too after breaking my scapula and the surgeries on shoulder swell as always keeping a healthy arch... If my blades aren't dug back tight I'll lose my form and causes my elbows to want to wing out as well as my right shoulder sits back farther if I didn't...

Anyway I would agree that most still dont do this right...

[QUOTE=NACH3;7036993]
    Quote Originally Posted by jackfrost88 View Post

Were you referring to me?

I do have correct form as I Always pull my blades back as I have too after breaking my scapula and the surgeries on shoulder swell as always keeping a healthy arch... If my blades aren't dug back tight I'll lose my form and causes my elbows to want to wing out as well as my right shoulder sits back farther if I didn't...

Anyway I would agree that most still dont do this right...
    Sorry not you. Guy who was saying I didn't read the OP, quote got messed up.

Fllifter is offline Associate Member
    Stop bb benching.. It's terrible for your shoulders.

KinMan is offline New Member
    bench long enough and you'll get shoulder pain. It's important to periodize your training as well as use proper technique. I recommend a power lifting form and pinching your shoulder blades back throughout the lift. It will help prevent you from rolling your shoulders forward. As is, take time off from benching then go back at it.

MRI Results: small undersurface tears of the supraspinatus.
    supraspinatus and infraspinatus tendinosis
    (and some extra stuff about the humoral head because I happen to have dislocated it more times than id like to remember)

I didn't really mention it, I do keep my shoulders pinched in and my lats contracted consciously when I bench… I also push my arms out at the top of the rep. I thought that was necessary for a full range of motion, so I do tend to let the lats loosen at the top to allow that extra push range. Its hard to describe but I'll give it a shot, I kind of push my arms forward in the socket and round my back so that I am reaching literally as far as I can with my back on the bench. When I get back at it I'll try keeping the lats contracted through the full movement. Seems to be the general consensus for solving the problem.

I about 1.5 weeks off at this point. Still hurts a bit when I poke the shoulder but its getting better. Im guessing 2-3 full weeks without using the shoulders and the tendonosis will be down so I can bench pain free again.

PS. ITT are what sound like some serious medical problems… Do you not have access to health care?
    Last edited by RewardingLabor; 04-22-2015 at 09:58 PM.

musclestack is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by C3RB3RUS View Post
    has anyone used peptides. Roman has a log on tb500. the results were less than stellar, but an impact was noted. obviously, some, ( I know myself) are interested. I haven't yet checked out what else is available on AR, or anywhere else; I think i might get some TB500. I really liked GHRP/GHRH. while i'm on this low carb/to no carb/to incidental carb diet, getting some peps would be awesome.

Is intelliskin that good? seems expensive for a shirt.

here's a breakdown TB500 -- Learn how it works!

and here is a log Roman's TB-500 log...........

actually roman said the stuff was great in the 'breakdown page'
    ^^^Refer to my above post regarding TB500. Let me know if you have any questions.

600@50 is offline Knowledgeable Member

I didn't really mention it, I do keep my shoulders pinched in and my lats contracted consciously when I bench... I also push my arms out at the top of the rep. I thought that was necessary for a full range of motion, so I do tend to let the lats loosen at the top to allow that extra push range. Its hard to describe but I'll give it a shot, I kind of push my arms forward in the socket and round my back so that I am reaching literally as far as I can with my back on the bench. When I get back at it I'll try keeping the lats contracted through the full movement. Seems to be the general consensus for solving the problem.
    Do not extend your arms forward at the end of the press. Maintain the tightness in the lats. Keep your shoulder blades back and down. Don't just pull them back like a shrug. Back and down toward your feet. You put the shoulder in a very unstable position by rotating forward at the completion of the movement.

Agree with the above^^^^^^^. From the midway point of the rep up your triceps should be doing the work. Rolling your shoulders up to finish the rep is also a great way to mess up your shoulders. I really preach strengthening your triceps to people because a lot of people are unaware how lacking they are and then the shoulder problems come into play and it's hard to figure out why.

C3RB3RUS is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by musclestack View Post
    ^^^Refer to my above post regarding TB500. Let me know if you have any questions.
    I'm going on my second week of TB 500 this Tuesday. I'm taking the standard 2mg / week. I just 1 shot the 2mgs. What was your frequency, Musclestack?

solesrch is offline Junior Member
    I went through a period after a shoulder injury where I had trouble doing bench press. All muscles connect in some way I suppose. But I changed my form a bit and let my shoulder heal. All was good after.

Hi all. I just thought maybe someone else had this problem. The solution I found for me is to make sure the bar path is absolutely perpendicular to the ground, never moving even slightly back toward my head as I push up. Honestly it's really subtle. the difference of even a half inch is enough to cause pain, you'll probably have to really feel around a bit to find it the first time, but you will notice the difference instantaneously.

papathesmurf is offline Junior Member
    I had the same issue dude. A good technique that I found after watching a video with Kai Greene and Jeff Seid where working out chest with another individual. Kai Greene mentioned to an individual that they where working out with that he is going to have shoulder pain if he benches like that. Jeff then responded to the individual to portend he is trying to bend the bar in half while he is benching. I took Jeff's comment to heart and found that portending to bend the bar in half keeps my elbows from flaring out and my back still while I am benching. I have been pain free ever since

haggendaz is offline New Member
    I know im new here, but i have had some of joe defranco shoulder workouts to help with my shoulder pian. It gives good advice on proper warm up and strengthening. Just my 2 cents

Blog Entries

Alot of it has to do with you probably not warming up as i've felt this way before but when i was done warming up i started not to feel it anymore it was more tightness than anything..But if it's pain to the point where you have to adjust the bench press to suit your injury i'd say just take a little time off especially if you don't need to adjust where you think it isn't long term injury

matri.x is offline Associate Member
    my friend has same issue, after doctor check it was the ligament. he wasn't taking any Multis so his ligament couldn't repair in time

I meant to delete this post
    Last edited by haggendaz; 08-05-2015 at 08:46 AM.

I was also wanting to ask how much Back training you are doing? Sometime it could very well be an imbalance that could be corrected by doing the antagonist muscle. Sometimes people will work the mirror muscle and forget to work the muscle they don't see. This causes the chest to get tight, pulling the shoulders forward putting strain on the shoulders. So rows, face pulls, band pull apart, ect. Also where you are describing the pain is, could be a weak or strained bicep tendon. I believe I read an article about some direct bicep work can help condition and strengthen the bicep tendon. But like people have said rest and ice, also don't forget to stretch your chest after working it. Hope this helps as well...

Rogue Comment is offline New Member
    Start rowing ,and quit flat bench pressing.

If the injury persists get your spotter to lift the bar off ,and help rack it.

I liked the "bend the bar" comment ... Good idea / visual!

Thread Information