Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Khazima

Thread: Go running or follow HIIT program

thomas8883 is offline Junior Member

Go running or follow HIIT program

Hi im just writing this to get your opinion as to what you think is more effective whether following a HIIT programme like insanity or just go running everyday for the same amount of time please feel free to drop a comment

Khazima is offline Knowledgeable Member
    The current literature suggests that if HIIT doesn't impede your recovery from weight training too much then it's superior to low intensity cardio for both health and fat loss.

Ye i did the insanity programme beginning of the year and it definitely worked for me but now Ive started running again and it too soon to tell if it more beneficial. But it definitely interesting to find Out other peoples view on both

Khazima is offline Knowledgeable Member
    When it comes down to it though the most effective type of cardio is the one you can stick to, aka the type you enjoy the most.
    corestorm likes this.

Ye that is very true

JohnnyJim is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by thomas8883 View Post
    Hi im just writing this to get your opinion as to what you think is more effective whether following a HIIT programme like insanity or just go running everyday for the same amount of time please feel free to drop a comment
    HIIT is superior to cardio, Circuit Training is superior to HIIT. Poliquin and Schoenfeld have awesome circuit training programs for fat loss.

KinMan is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Khazima View Post
    The current literature suggests that if HIIT doesn't impede your recovery from weight training too much then it's superior to low intensity cardio for both health and fat loss.
    I agree with this. Problem is that if you're doing heavy lifting such as squats or deads you can forget sprints.

Buster Brown is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KinMan
    I agree with this. Problem is that if you're doing heavy lifting such as squats or deads you can forget sprints.
    Just don't do sprints on your heavy squat/DL day. I do them three times a week and walk at a brisk pace on my off day which is the day after legs which helps aid in recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Brown View Post
    Just don't do sprints on your heavy squat/DL day. I do them three times a week and walk at a brisk pace on my off day which is the day after legs which helps aid in recovery.
    I couldn't recover good enough to sprint 1 or 2 days after heavy squats or DL and if someone has poor running mechanics they are just asking for injury imo.

Quote Originally Posted by KinMan
    I couldn't recover good enough to sprint 1 or 2 days after heavy squats or DL and if someone has poor running mechanics they are just asking for injury imo.
    That's why it's up to the individual to seek what works best for them. For you sprinting later in the week may fit you better OR if you are a PL who trains legs twice a week heavy then maybe sprints aren't for you right now and try them when your in a maintenance program.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Brown View Post
    That's why it's up to the individual to seek what works best for them. For you sprinting later in the week may fit you better OR if you are a PL who trains legs twice a week heavy then maybe sprints aren't for you right now and try them when your in a maintenance program.
    Yep, just giving my own experience. For me, working in sprints was difficult due to sqautting and deadlifting on separate days every week. I could have perhaps tweaked it to every 10 days but gains would have likely suffered. I love HIIT but when doing heavy squats or dreads one needs to seriously consider how they will recover. Heavy lifting in the 1-3 rep scheme does not lend itself to explosive power like sprinting.

ks1234 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Khazima View Post
    When it comes down to it though the most effective type of cardio is the one you can stick to, aka the type you enjoy the most.
    This. but why not try a little of both? Mix it up, make it more interesting

Quote Originally Posted by ks1234
    This. but why not try a little of both? Mix it up, make it more interesting
    Too be honest I find I would rather diet more and do less cardio and spare as much tissue as possible. I used to be a huge advocate of a lot of cardio and loved running. I feel that a good run is extremely therapeutic but I just lose too much tissue. Since I have incorporated a brief HIT style cardio routine a few times a week I have lost far less tissue especially my calves.

Thread Information