Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Bio-Active
  • 2 Post By Khazima

Thread: Cannot train shoulders properly.

uhit is offline Member

Cannot train shoulders properly.

Been having this issue with my shoulders/bicep area where any overhead press causes immense pain in my left bicep. That takes away overhead pressing and dumbell shoulder presses out of my workout which I used to adore before this problem.

I've had 2 weeks off in the past for a short term fix, doctors refuse to do anything for it since it doesn't seem like anything is wrong. So instead of just feeling sorry for myself and not training shoulders, I'm requesting someone provide me with an alternate routine for shoulder so that I can actually bring them up and not like a tard.

Thanks for reading.

Bio-Active is online now AR-Hall of Famer
    I stopped doing overhead presses years ago and my shoulders are more developed then when I was doing them. Side lateral raises, front lateral raises, incline front lateral raises, shrugs and reverse peck deck work my shoulders plenty good enough. I do a lot of incline bench on chest day to hit the upper front delt

uhit is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bio-Active View Post
    I stopped doing overhead presses years ago and my shoulders are more developed then when I was doing them. Side lateral raises, front lateral raises, incline front lateral raises, shrugs and reverse peck deck work my shoulders plenty good enough. I do a lot of incline bench on chest day to hit the upper front delt
    I was always under the impression that pressing was the best way to do things. I'll up the volume on the raises to about 4x12 and see how it goes.

Cheers

Bio-Active is online now AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by uhit
    I was always under the impression that pressing was the best way to do things. I'll up the volume on the raises to about 4x12 and see how it goes. Cheers
    have your partner stand behind you and in front of you so you can force out extra reps as well
    uhit likes this.

Khazima is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Somethings wrong, if you can't press something over your head without immense pain then there is an issue. Go to another doctor and insist for an ultrasound or MRI, say you appreciate their opinion but you'd like to get it looked at properly anyway. How can they possibly know if somethings wrong inside your shoulder/s without looking inside?

I have a similar issue except it's a burning sensation that flares up badly with higher volume, i was told a few times to just rest it and take some anti inflammatorys but just went back and persisted to get a reference for an ultrasound. Be persistent, it's unfortunate but VERY often doctors overlook things from their simple tests that don't actually involve looking into the problem properly, so you need to do exactly that, look into it properly.
    uhit and RewardingLabor like this.

Buster Brown is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Does this only happen on shoulder day? Does the pain linger? Any weakness ? What happens on chest and back day?

teab is offline New Member
    You are probably suffering from shoulder impingement. Overhead pressing almost always aggravates this problem.

You could try overhead pressing with a neutral grip or instead focusing on incline benching. Your anterior delts likely get plenty of stimulation already, so I doubt overhead pressing is really necessary anyway. And I certainly wouldn't recommend continuing with overhead pressing despite the pain because you're likely wearing down your supraspinatus tendon every time you do it.

In the long term, work on strengthening your rotator cuff muscles, lower traps, and serratus anterior as well as stretching your pecs, lats, and upper traps/neck. Doing this will help free up space below your shoulder for your tendons to pass through. If you want to be treated medically, then you should get an MRI.

uhit is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster Brown View Post
    Does this only happen on shoulder day? Does the pain linger? Any weakness ? What happens on chest and back day?
    Everything is fine on chest and back day.

And the pain is very very temporary, but enough to cause discomfort and make the set unbearably difficult to finish.

[QUOTE="uhit"] Everything is fine on chest and back day. And the pain is very very temporary, but enough to cause discomfort and make the set unbearably difficult to finish.[/QUOTE

Ok, then on back day add rear delt raises and shrugs
    On chest day add lateral raises.

You will be hitting all three heads if you try this routine which would basically be a 3 day workout .
    Monday : chest, lateral raises, triceps
    Wednesday : legs
    Friday : back, traps, rear delts and biceps

Try it for a month and when you back to pressing make sure your grip is not wide and is more in the style of a PL. This will give you some recovery time while still stimulating your shoulders .

uhit is offline Member
    [QUOTE=Buster Brown;7038820]
    Quote Originally Posted by uhit
    Everything is fine on chest and back day. And the pain is very very temporary, but enough to cause discomfort and make the set unbearably difficult to finish.[/QUOTE

Ok, then on back day add rear delt raises and shrugs
    On chest day add lateral raises.

You will be hitting all three heads if you try this routine which would basically be a 3 day workout .
    Monday : chest, lateral raises, triceps
    Wednesday : legs
    Friday : back, traps, rear delts and biceps

Try it for a month and when you back to pressing make sure your grip is not wide and is more in the style of a PL. This will give you some recovery time while still stimulating your shoulders .

Thank you very much. Sounds solid

You will be completely warmed up from doing the other movements which will also help. Good luck

Thread Information