Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Do you help others in the gym?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by djgreen View Post
    just the other day a kid was in there with his mom and it was obvious it was his first time in the gym because he was using the ab twist machine all wrong I stepped in a said hey man you should set the machine like this and he looked at me like a smart ass and said yea I know hahahaha just goes to show even kids don't take advise Iv always said I wont say something but im for real now fvkem ill just keep to my self and let people hurt themselves and learn the hard way like I have a few time
    He was looking at you like that because you're an ugly mofo lol

Mitch535 is offline Junior Member
    I worked as a trainer for 7 years. When I wasn't actively training, I spent time out on the floor cleaning equipment, racking weights, and helping folks that looked like they need it. It's all about how you approach things. Instead of walking up and saying "hey bro, you are doing that wrong. You should do it like this", start by making idle conversation. Ask them how long they've been a member at the gym and how they are liking things so far. Ask them how they like using that particular machine or doing a particular exercise you've noticed them doing wrong. No matter how they respond, you can always say "I love that exercise/machine. When I use it, I like to do it like this because it helps me get a better burn/pump and because I find that keeping good form helps to keep me from getting hurt. So for me, keeping good form is doing it this way". That way you're giving them the suggestion and advise without pointing out their own fault.

I hate that people have their feelings hurt so easily, but that's how things are these days. Its all about how you approach people.

jackfrost88 is offline Associate Member
    If it's a person who looks like their serious about lifting and has some mistakes I can see I will say something to help them. If its a 80 year old man who is just doing everything wrong and clearly doesn't care then no.

AR's King Silabolin is offline Castle Power
    I quited that ten years ago, but if someone asks i am more than happy to give them an educated advice.

But i admit, when i guy in the 30s...always social anf laughing, handles the weigths as he was chopping and stacking Wood, im very tempted.
    I remember, when i was in the early 20, i loved it when a bigger older guy came up and gave me friendly advice. But i Guess, times have changed and nowadays everybody are kings.

I saw Robbie Williams on stage when he tried to flirt a lot with a girl from the crowd. But the girls face and bodylanguage answered "who the **** do you think you are, punk".....

jaysath is offline Junior Member
    No I hate when people do that to me haha. Bit I'm a trainer so I'll help if asked

Narkissos is offline AR-Hall of Famer ~Diet Guru~
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Khazima View Post
    Better off not giving unsolicited advice, most people won't appreciate it.
    Agreed.
    Generally, I keep to myself in the gym. If I get asked questions (which *does* happen a lot), I answer them.

But, no... I never go over to a person (-unless we have a history of interaction e.g. if they are a friend or former client-) and give any form of unsolicited advice.
    OdinsOtherSon likes this.
    -Corey "Narkissos" Springer

Published Author.
    Owner of :
    Apollo Fitness Barbados etc
    Blogger

Quote Originally Posted by texasmk4
    Nark is like intel, Brilliant inside and awsome outside :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Narkissos
    Here's a little-known-secret, that most people won't tell you: In the sphere of fitness, everything works.
    Every(intelligent)thing works (once aptly and consistently applied)
    It really is that simple.
    This is the perpetual bodybuilding paradigm
    **No Source Checks**
    Contact Me

Splifton is offline Associate Member
    I wish some people would give me advice while I'm lifting.

To the veterans, do you guys find it annoying if someone came over and asked a few questions or asked for some advice?

There is an older gentleman at my gym that is probably in his late 40's, but he moves around an impressive amount of weight and ironically is one of the few that doesn't obnoxiously grunt. I thought about trying to talk, but I feel that some stranger just randomly asking questions would come off as a nuisance rather than my blatant noobie related infatuation from being so new. Staff is useless and tries to reiterate the imperative need for a physical trainer that can be provided for a "nominal" fee. (None of the PT's I spoke to had any degree from furthering their education and just had a bunch of company-related certifications)

Buster Brown is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Splifton
    I wish some people would give me advice while I'm lifting. To the veterans, do you guys find it annoying if someone came over and asked a few questions or asked for some advice? There is an older gentleman at my gym that is probably in his late 40's, but he moves around an impressive amount of weight and ironically is one of the few that doesn't obnoxiously grunt. I thought about trying to talk, but I feel that some stranger just randomly asking questions would come off as a nuisance rather than my blatant noobie related infatuation from being so new. Staff is useless and tries to reiterate the imperative need for a physical trainer that can be provided for a "nominal" fee. (None of the PT's I spoke to had any degree from furthering their education and just had a bunch of company-related certifications)
    I don't get annoyed when people ask questions but I DO get annoyed when they are shown something and by the third set they are back to there old way of doing it. Actually.........I just chuckle to myself now.

Splifton is offline Associate Member
    I'm trying to get myself a workout partner, but if someone cites bodybuilding.com for their source of information I begin to question the future of my workouts with them. I just chose a really bad gym, but the other ones in town are also pretty uninviting. One is ran by a local dentist, but he tried to brow beat me on my supplements I use trying to say its dangerous to take anything without blood work.

I'd help someone if I could actually provide something substantial.

Chicagotarsier is offline Senior Member
    Gym rules

Bring your own work out partner or just do your thing. If you pick up someone you don't know it is dangerous and just a waste of time. Human nature is to blah blah blah.

Spotters in real gyms don't say crap to you except...reps?

My workout partner is a girl 4'9 and not strong at all. have to unload the bar completely between our sets in GVT. Makes for a double hard workout. We have an agreement...no talking during our workout. Talk over the meal after or in bed.

Works good for me.

Synhax is offline Associate Member
    only if they ask for it. I also see alot of noobs at the gym, I just leave them be. I think i only intervened once when a skinny ass newbie tried the squatting rack and kept bending his back so much as he went down. I was afraid the dude was gonna snap in half, like literally never seem anyone do it so wrong. That was about it though. Most other ppl have horrible form when doing even basic exercises like chainsaws or even curls, but i dont bother if they dont ask. They're not really in danger of injuring themselves but at the same time they wont make much gains. Thats their problem. They need to do alot more research if they are serious about the gym. I spent half my time on forums and youtube researching when first started.

bloodchoke is offline Member
    My gym has TWELVE squat racks. Actually, 24, since each one has an inside and an outside. They're six abreast and they face each other. I was squatting on Tuesday and these guys directly in front of me were doing deadlifts. Seriously, the only thing that they were doing correctly was gripping the bar with closed fists. Their knees werent just over the bar, they were over their toes. They, literally, started the lift on the balls of their feet, head kicked all the way back and their backs were as round as they could be. Their form, body composition, and the fact they they were lifting 95lbs made it pretty clear that they have probably been in a gym fewer than ten times. I didn't intervene and now I wish I would have. But, if anyone asks, I'm very generous with what I know, demonstration, whatever.

My entire life, though, I've had this fantasy of a total stranger asking me for a spot. I say "sure," very soft spoken, ask how many reps, do they want help off the rack, etc. Then, halfway through their first rep, I scream in their face, drill sergeant style "GET THAT WEIGHT UP, YOU FVCKIN' CVNT!! LET'S GO!! BIG ARMS, MOTHER FVCK!! Just to see that moment of sheer terror in their face.

Sarahaw is offline New Member
    I always caution someone when he's about to do something dangerous. Anything else I leave to the instructor.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information