Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By dep30
  • 1 Post By Buster Brown

Thread: Training woes

Phastroh is offline Junior Member

Training woes

I have been lifting for a long time. I mean for me it is, been about 15 years on and off.

Back a few years ago I would always take a month off after 4 months of no breaks except the every other day, or 2 on 1 off times.

So I've been now 6 weeks on DECA /TEST and week 4.5 to 6 I was on a tear. A lot of lifting, sets were going up 20-40 pounds.

Then it happened. First my right elbow felt strange, not really painful but I felt concerned doing 110 standing barbell curls. Just a few weeks ago 80 was as high as I went. No making fun lol

My max bench is unknown but over 300lbs but I had been doing for example 225/235/245 x 6reps during a session now it's 225/255/275 x 6reps my point is everything I was doing was going up.

I worked out the 10th last. I never miss over 2 days or I mean I go every other day or 3 days in a row then off a day. Today was my go time but I just felt like my knee hurt, my shoulder felt odd and my lower back was sore. Just did back.

So I guess I am feeling like a guilty puzzy for bailing and wasting a day somewhat in the prime of my cycle. What is the best weeks of the cycle and am I making a mistake missing an extra day. I forgot I missed 5 days in a row 2 weeks ago due to travel and a 1/2 marathon.

If you were to fold your arms like crossed over your chest how you may stand sometimes the feeling is right under that side muscle on your elbow. It's not like when my left elbow aches from curling too much it's like on the bone. I see there are tendons there but I do a lot of stuff and it's just fine.

I am staying away from extra heavy curls now. I think if I go up to maybe 80lb I can still get a good workout but hopefully it builds something.

Any comments welcome. Just feeling deflated and even a weeks rest would probably not make it better only totally ruin my cycle.

dep30 is offline Associate Member
    A lot of pros say on isolation exercises like curls that a good contraction and blood pump is better than hurting Ur joints with super heavy weights... I try to mix it up a Lil but usually never go heavier than 60 lb dumbbells and get a really good stretch out and a good tight contraction... Since I've incorporated this in my routine I don't have joint issues anymore
    jolter604 likes this.

ks1234 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dep30 View Post
    A lot of pros say on isolation exercises like curls that a good contraction and blood pump is better than hurting Ur joints with super heavy weights... I try to mix it up a Lil but usually never go heavier than 60 lb dumbbells and get a really good stretch out and a good tight contraction... Since I've incorporated this in my routine I don't have joint issues anymore
    Agree. Keeping good tight form and moderate weight is the best imo.

Buster Brown is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Sounds like you need to consider your workout volume a bit and whenever something hurts.......simply STOP doing it. There are tons of exercises that you can choose from as to avoid what is bothering you. Don't keep going back to the same thing to see if it's healed yet only to discover again that the answer is no.....take some real time away from those exercises .
    jolter604 likes this.

600@50 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phastroh View Post
    So I've been now 6 weeks on DECA/TEST and week 4.5 to 6 I was on a tear. A lot of lifting, sets were going up 20-40 pounds.
    This is why you got injured. Lots of sets and heavier and heavier weight. Your muscles were outgrowing your tendons and ligaments. You have to take time for the connective tissue to catch up with what the muscle is capable of doing. You need to back off on the injured area and allow it to heal. There's plenty of ways to salvage a cycle when injured if you can be creative in your workouts.

Thread Information