• 1 Post By almostgone
  • 1 Post By marcus300
  • 1 Post By almostgone
  • 1 Post By almostgone
  • 1 Post By marcus300

Thread: Deadlift for bigger back?

yeahbuddy289 is offline Knowledgeable Member

Deadlift for bigger back?

Im thinking of changing up my back routine and really try to focus on building a wider back. My current routine consists of pull ups for 3 set, pull downs for 3 sets, and seated cable rows for 3 sets. I incorporate the HITT style training as outlined by Marcus/Dorian Yates. I was thinking about switching my routine and removing the pull downs and replacing them with straight bar dead lifts. I deadlifted a couple years ago on my back day and I think the only real thing I got from it was back pain. What are everyones thoughts on the importance of deadlifts for a bigger back?

Life without deadlifts is pointless.
    saymass003, bmor, Alta and 2 others like this.

Khazima is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Specifically for a wider back they're far from optimal but will build some serious traps and erectors. They're an incredible posterior chain movement but for building a wider back (bigger lats) your focus should be lots of rows and lots of vertical pulls.

If you experience pain (not just a lower back pump but actual pain) first, thoroughly assess your form then if that doesn't help, stop them immediately.

marcus300 is offline ~Retired~ AR-Platinum Elite-Hall of Famer ~
    Quote Originally Posted by yeahbuddy289 View Post
    Im thinking of changing up my back routine and really try to focus on building a wider back. My current routine consists of pull ups for 3 set, pull downs for 3 sets, and seated cable rows for 3 sets. I incorporate the HITT style training as outlined by Marcus/Dorian Yates. I was thinking about switching my routine and removing the pull downs and replacing them with straight bar dead lifts. I deadlifted a couple years ago on my back day and I think the only real thing I got from it was back pain. What are everyones thoughts on the importance of deadlifts for a bigger back?
    You need to hit the back from every angle, its a huge muscle group and needs a lot of work all over to make it wider and thicker.

If you plan on incorporating deads IMHO don't use the conventional way, use the Yates style deads. This will mean the bar will go down to just below the knee/mid shin and always make sure your form is 100%. This will thicken the lower back up.

If your using HIT style training remember the core principles and doing 3 working sets doesn't fit into what HIT is all about.

Make sure you hit those close grip pulldowns this will hit the lats a lot more than wider grip and target the width more.

I would concentrate on targeting the thickness by using a lot of rowing exercises, you start putting slabs of tissue over your back the width just follows and pops out.

Make sure you stretch and those lats and always make sure you use your back and not your biceps, if your back is rounded your using your arms and most probably the weight is to heavy, the back needs to be ached like your trying to squeeze and crack a walnut in the centre of your back on the contraction.

incorporate different exercises and target all over the back and swap and changer things around to find out what works for you. Pulldowns and rows but make sure you use your back and not your biceps!!
    almostgone and yeahbuddy289 like this.

Buster Brown is offline Knowledgeable Member
    As stated above the Yates style deadlier or modified bent over row is def a bread and butter exercise that I have to be one of the best mass builders for back.
    The dead lift i found didn't add really any size to my last but truly added a lot of size to my traps in ways that conventional shrugs and variations thereof didn't fulfill. The DL also improved my glutes, hams, and lower back both in size and strength.
    The above posts contain excellent examples of back exercises that will put size on that back!
    yeahbuddy289 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by marcus300 View Post
    You need to hit the back from every angle, its a huge muscle group and needs a lot of work all over to make it wider and thicker.

If you plan on incorporating deads IMHO don't use the conventional way, use the Yates style deads. This will mean the bar will go down to just below the knee/mid shin and always make sure your form is 100%. This will thicken the lower back up.

If your using HIT style training remember the core principles and doing 3 working sets doesn't fit into what HIT is all about.

Make sure you hit those close grip pulldowns this will hit the lats a lot more than wider grip and target the width more.

I would concentrate on targeting the thickness by using a lot of rowing exercises, you start putting slabs of tissue over your back the width just follows and pops out.

Make sure you stretch and those lats and always make sure you use your back and not your biceps, if your back is rounded your using your arms and most probably the weight is to heavy, the back needs to be ached like your trying to squeeze and crack a walnut in the centre of your back on the contraction.

incorporate different exercises and target all over the back and swap and changer things around to find out what works for you. Pulldowns and rows but make sure you use your back and not your biceps!!
    Thanks for the tips Marcus... when I say I do 3 sets I mean I do one warm up or "feeler" set then two working sets where I go heavy and then drop set. What does your back routine look like? Just looking for some ideas and maybe make some changes.

jgd
    jgd is offline Junior Member
    hang cleans and pull backs close and wide grip. period. as well as usual pull downs and backs, pull downs all angles, TRAPS are a HEUUGE muscle people forget to focus on, there is lower trap (pull backs and downs) and upper(shrugs, presses, cleans, snatch) imagine where you want it to grow, pull from the opposite angle. go 4 sets of 12 not just 3 of 10. dont use a bench for the bent over rows, let your lower back work and pull. I do back on one day while i hit lower traps and I do upper traps while i do shoulders.. Hope I could be some help man,
    G
    Last edited by jgd; 06-12-2015 at 07:25 PM.

NotNATTY is offline New Member
    i used to deadlift but hurt my back pintch so stoped them miss them
    dead lift is for width ???????

Buster Brown is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NotNATTY
    i used to deadlift but hurt my back pintch so stoped them miss them dead lift is for width ???????
    No, it's not for width

So if I hit legs Monday, and back on Tuesday, would it be ok to dead lift on leg day to make some more room for more back exercises?

Khazima is offline Knowledgeable Member
    So if I hit legs Monday, and back on Tuesday, would it be ok to dead lift on leg day to make some more room for more back exercises?
    Yes, but keep in mind your lower back will be fatigued for something like bent over rows.

Keep deads with back day. Do them Yates style and you'll only need a couple of sets.
    almostgone likes this.

almostgone is online now AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    ^^^ what Marcus said and hit hyperextensions just before deads for added entertainment.
    marcus300 likes this.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

Quote Originally Posted by almostgone View Post
    ^^^ what Marcus said and hit hyperextensions just before deads for added entertainment.
    lol to true
    almostgone likes this.

Thanks for the tips Marcus... when I say I do 3 sets I mean I do one warm up or "feeler" set then two working sets where I go heavy and then drop set. What does your back routine look like? Just looking for some ideas and maybe make some changes.
    If you hit Marcus' diary thread in the lounge, there are lots of Marcus' routines and lots of other people, too. Drop in and check it out of you haven't already. I just posted up a back lift last night.

If you do check out the thread, please read the entire thread. There is so much good info and very relevant personal experiences from the guys and ladies that participate in the thread.
    Also, it takes time.to adapt to HIT; to learn to hit absolute failure in a short span of exercise. Pay particular attention to any of the posts on the mind-muscle connection for back lifts. It is a HUGE component in achieving results.
    Last edited by almostgone; 06-15-2015 at 04:27 AM.
    marcus300 likes this.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

marcus300 likes this.

If you hit Marcus' diary thread in the lounge, there are lots of Marcus' routines and lots of other people, too. Drop in and check it out of you haven't already. I just posted up a back lift last night.

If you do check out the thread, please read the entire thread. There is so much good info and very relevant personal experiences from the guys and ladies that participate in the thread.
    Also, it takes time.to adapt to HIT; to learn to hit absolute failure in a short span of exercise. Pay particular attention to any of the posts on the mind-muscle connection for back lifts. It is a HUGE component in achieving results.
    There you go ^^^^ everything you need to know about building a big wide thick back.....
    almostgone likes this.

Thanks boys!

Thread Information