simplyjakked is offline Member

personal training certification?

i am planning on getting certified as a personal trainer and i am wondering what certification is the best(organizations). I personally feel it is merely a piece of paper but it is also necessairy.

redrock is offline Member
    A lot of people on this board, are certified by or speak highly of NSCA and ISSA, but I have been told that ACSM is the gold standard of the industry. My prof in college who interned at Purdue as a strength coach and is now the full time strength and conditioning coach says the ACSM is the way to go. I would like to see what other people have to say about the ACSM. REDROCK

hellapimpin is offline Anabolic Member
    bump

Yung Wun is offline Member
    i'm currently working on my ace and afterwards lookin toward the NSCA
    but like redrock stated the highly respected ones are NSCA,ACSM, and ace is another respectable one. but with ACSM you need a degree to even be considered to write the test. i think your best bet are NSCA or ACE. both require an onsite exam. i was considering ISSA but isnt well recognized in canada, but if its recognized where you live go ahead, its all correspondence, so its easy if your strapped for time. since your living in the states i would suggest Ace because of its price and respectability. but the ones i highly recommend is NSCA,ACE, or ACSM if you have a degree
    Last edited by Yung Wun; 06-04-2003 at 09:28 AM.

rob35145 is offline Junior Member
    You need a degree to sit for the ACSM or NSCA-CSCS test. ACSM is basically for a clinical setting. Testing, hospital setting, working with an older clientele. NSCA-CPT would be the best route to go if you want to train at a local gym, studio or do in home. ACE is a great place to start, nice entry-level cert.

thanks guys i will look into all of them.

BIG R is offline Member
    I am ISSA certified. Been doing this for 3 years
    R

hey R when you get clients do they really care who you are certified through or just that you are certified.

BIG R is offline Member
    SJ,

To tell you the truth people dont care at all!! Sometimes your knowledge and confidence while training makes them feel that they are in good hands. Sometimes a dam GOOD physique gets people to want to train with you. This is my 10th year in the BUISNESS and I love what I do. You have to be a real people person for this to work out for you. Sometimes I just want a break from being a psycologist rather than a personal trainer...it all comes with the J-O-B.

BR

my sister, and her ex-boyfreind, and her roommate are all nsca certified. It is good if you are doing basic training, but what they teach you, has nothing to do with bodybuilding.

I have personal trainers at my gym ask me what I am doing, if that tells you anything. (because I am by no means a know it all, or even close.)

xxxl83 is offline Productive Member
    It doesn't matter most of them are out dated anyway.

xxxl83

rob35145 is offline Junior Member
    Most people who are into bodybuilding don’t need a trainer. Most people who need a trainer are people who have a lot of risk involved with physical activity. They may have disease, high blood pressure, low back problems, etc. A good trainer can develop a program for these people and know the warning signs and what to stay away from. I do agree with you though. There are a lot of stupid ass trainers. I’ve been a trainer for 10 years next month and I’ve seen some bizarre shit, bro. But it’s like any field you have your good ones and your bad ones. We just notice it more because most people on this board have a better understanding of training than a lot of trainers.

Thread Information