solidj55 is offline Member

Circuit training or supersets???

I am thinking about having all my exercises supersetted in my workouts or just trying to do a cicuit training routine. I am going to finally attempt to cut this bodyfat and I dont have time for a lot of cardio so I am going to manipulate my weight training and do just a little cardio. Now do you guys think it would be better to pick 2 exercises, superset them, and just shorten rest in between supersets, or just have a whole circuit of exercises back to back, then repeat. THat may not make sense but hopefully someone will understand. By the way I will be supersetting opposing muscles or doing a superset with opposing muscles.

Example of superset- Bench Press and Rows- 1 set of bench no rest 1 set of rows no rest, rest 30 sec repeat twice

OR

Example of Circuit-Bench Press, no rest, Rows, no rest, Incline, no rest, Pullups, rest 1min repeat.

See what I am asking now???? Which would be more effective for my goals???

Farm boy is offline Junior Member
    i am going to bump this for you. i aam curious to hear some answers. i have recently been super setting some due to time restraints. i think my approach is a little ackward after reading your post. an example of mine is incline bench, no rest, incline flies, rest one minute. on leg day it is front squats, no rest, leg extension, rest one minute. i think it really boils down to what ever you feel comfortable doing. i have tried the push/pull superset years ago and could never get used to it. it did not feel like i was getting a good pump. jmo

Farm boy is offline Junior Member
    i am going to bump this for you. i aam curious to hear some answers. i have recently been super setting some due to time restraints. i think my approach is a little ackward after reading your post. an example of mine is incline bench, no rest, incline flies, rest one minute. on leg day it is front squats, no rest, leg extension, rest one minute. i think it really boils down to what ever you feel comfortable doing. i have tried the push/pull superset years ago and could never get used to it. it did not feel like i was getting a good pump.
    if you are interested in circuit style training, go to T-mag.com and type this into the search engine(a bowl full of jelly) this is an article written by TC Louma concerning circuit training for fat loss. he gives you three different templates to use. it may be helpful. one other work out on t-mag is called meltdown training, this to is a circut type of training geared specifically for fat loss. from what i have heard about meltdown, you definitely need a work out partner. do not try it solo or you will not accomplish the work out. best of luck. i am still interested in hearing from the guys on this board about your question.

Anyone else?

AandF6969 is offline Made Up Of Wires
    If i was you, I would do supersets cuz circuits blow, way too much lactic acid builds up in your muscles and by the last exercises youre spent. I only see old/scrawny/fat people doing circuits. I would also not do different body part supersets, for example

Flat Bench
    Cable Fly

That would be a good superset, because you work your pecs to failure on flat bench and immediately go beat the shit out of them on cable flys. Sort of a way to go "beyond failure"

Quote Originally Posted by AandF6969
    If i was you, I would do supersets cuz circuits blow, way too much lactic acid builds up in your muscles and by the last exercises youre spent. I only see old/scrawny/fat people doing circuits. I would also not do different body part supersets, for example

Flat Bench
    Cable Fly

That would be a good superset, because you work your pecs to failure on flat bench and immediately go beat the shit out of them on cable flys. Sort of a way to go "beyond failure"
    Thanks for the reply. Different bodypart supersets work well dude, dont knock it till you try it. But I understand what your saying about same muscle supersets.

Thread Information