Mental_Hernia is offline Junior Member

How do you know when you bulk or cut?

How do you know when to bulk or to cut?

After losing the weight that I have lost ( about 40 lbs ) Im not sure if I need to keep focus on losing more weight or start building the heavy muscle. Do you keep cutting until you have no more major fat reserves and you have a semi-flat stomach?

I still have some flab on my gut/stomach, but Im not really sure if its fat or extra skin from being overweight before.. Should I focus on losing more of the 'fat' or bulk and hope the new muscles 'fill in'?
    Last edited by Mental_Hernia; 06-26-2003 at 05:27 PM.

I'd really appreciate and answer, since it would point me in the right direction..

I know there has to be an answer out there somewhere, since so many of you have done one or the other; or both.

Archangel230 is offline Junior Member
    Well, give us your stats (height, weight, bf %). If you provide, arm, quad, waist, chest, etc.. measurements that would really allow others to help you out. A picture would be even better. The point being is this is an objective opinion. If you have a reasonable muscle foundation then perhaps a little more cutting may not hurt. But if you lack this and are really just skin and bones with a little bf, then I seriously suggest you gear your training toward muscle growth. But again, I have no idea regarding your body composition.

xxxl83 is offline Productive Member
    Well it would depend on your goals.

Do you have enough muscle to cut or do you need to put on more mass?

I don't agree with the guys that are 5'11" @ 180lbs with 8-10%bf and think they're ripped, to me that's not cut it's just plain skinny.
    There are alot of people who don't know the difference.

But if that's what you're after than go for it. I've been around long enough to know that not everyone shares in my goals and oppinions.

Just my .02

xxxl83

Height: 5'11
    Weight: 170
    bf%: 18% ( http://www.healthcentral.com )
    BMI: 23.7

I dont have my measurements off hand, but I do not have a lot of muscle by any means.

Thread Information