Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Ashop
  • 1 Post By InternalFire
  • 1 Post By MDelgado34
  • 1 Post By InternalFire
  • 1 Post By ScotchGuard02

Thread: Is 'overtraining' a thing and can it make you sick?

gangen is offline Junior Member

Is 'overtraining' a thing and can it make you sick?

So I've had a lot of free time this summer and decided to train two times a day. I train 4 days and rest 1 day then start over. I've been doing so for 25 days now and the last week i've been getting worse and worse. I take nearly 2000mg caffeine a day and not sure if it matter but i also take ritalin. I'm 18 and don't take any steroids (feel like my natural testosterone is high anyway). I eat around 3000 calories a day and the macros are ~ 300p, 300c, 60f

I felt really good in the begining, but now im exhausted and shaking, also feel like I'm getting a fever.

InternalFire is offline Anabolic Member
    Yes, overtraining does exist, its different per individual.

I would suggest you take just a little time off, especially time off of caffeine! if you still cant not take time off the gym just drop your weights or reps in half, keep it real easy for a week or two and do it once a day only.

When continuing back on try go back on with once a day, keeping it sustainable routine is what brings good results

600@50 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    ^^^^^This^^^^^^plus continued over training can weaken your immune system and make you susceptible to illness. Take some time off or at least back off on your workouts for a while. Give your body a chance to recover and then ease back into it. Take some time to evaluate your program and start fresh.

73rr is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by InsaneMuscle View Post
    Yes, overtraining does exist, its different per individual.

I would suggest you take just a little time off, especially time off of caffeine! if you still cant not take time off the gym just drop your weights or reps in half, keep it real easy for a week or two and do it once a day only.

When continuing back on try go back on with once a day, keeping it sustainable routine is what brings good results
    This.

Definitely need to back off of the caffeine bro

Bonaparte is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    The main problem is your caffeine intake. That's absurd.

600@50 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I missed the caffeine intake. Wow! With an 8 oz coffee having 100 mg of caffeine how are you getting 2000mg/day? That's equal to 20 cups of coffee per day!

Livinlean is offline Knowledgeable Member
    How are you taking 2000mg of caffeine per day? A lot of energy drinks and coffee?

Ashop is offline Anabolic Member
    Overtraining is a VERY real thing. It can actually make you go in reverse with your gains.
    I think for most people who live regular lives,,jobs,,kids,,family,,etc...
    That 3-4 x per week at 60 min per session is plenty. Hit it hard,,,then rest and GROW.
    NACH3 likes this.

Thanks for the answers, and yea I know it's a bit too much caffeine. I have been taking more and more as I feel more exhausted. I get my caffeine from PWO's (i take it 2 times a day cause i workout 2 times a day) and energy drinks + caffeine pills. I tried to cut down a bit on the caffeine and went to workout with a sweatshirt on and it seemed to help, I think the fever has gone away now. School/work start in 9 days so I think i'l just push it through the last few days, then when school start i'l go back to my regular workout which is 6 times a week and 1 rest day.

babster is offline New Member
    Too much caffeine !! you don t need higher than 800 mg per day .
    Add some carbs and you ll be fine... in your age you are far away from overtraining

NACH3 is offline VET
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gangen View Post
    Thanks for the answers, and yea I know it's a bit too much caffeine. I have been taking more and more as I feel more exhausted. I get my caffeine from PWO's (i take it 2 times a day cause i workout 2 times a day) and energy drinks + caffeine pills. I tried to cut down a bit on the caffeine and went to workout with a sweatshirt on and it seemed to help, I think the fever has gone away now. School/work start in 9 days so I think i'l just push it through the last few days, then when school start i'l go back to my regular workout which is 6 times a week and 1 rest day.
    The pre-w/o's in bigger doses over longer periods of time will destroy your adrenal glands - be careful I was on the verge of doing this and took a long break! It's OTC but still too much isn't good

made me sick, but only because i'm dealing with a new baby, ate some shady food, and i had to do a 24hr shift. struggling to return to some semblance of anabolism. i lost 3lbs. re-shaping my diet too! looking for the perfect low GI carb selections and meat that i can love to eat. -sucker for pate and smoked raw salmon!

Quote Originally Posted by Tlolec View Post
    made me sick, but only because i'm dealing with a new baby, ate some shady food, and i had to do a 24hr shift. struggling to return to some semblance of anabolism. i lost 3lbs. re-shaping my diet too! looking for the perfect low GI carb selections and meat that i can love to eat. -sucker for pate and smoked raw salmon!
    My curtains are black, and shoelaces are different colour too

Besides congrats on new baby
    Tlolec the toilet likes this.

MDelgado34 is offline New Member
    i think i heard jay cutler say once that the only time you can over train is when you dont eat enough. supposed to be pretty hard to over train but i suspect nutrition has a huge part to play. Thats why these crossfit elite dont crash and burn due to training volume. if you look at what rich froning eats its milk red meats lots of carbs things like that. or michel phelps. he would probably be way over trained if he didnt eat like he does. or any elite level athlete for that matter.

do you really expect to cherry pick all elite athletes and explain to the rest of the world that we all are the same?

Just by trying to apply this logic to yourself - I strongly believe many of us would fail crashing sooner from indigestion problems rather than overtraining or from both.

Internet is colourful place, there's just too much info and too much misconceptions, one can chose to believe whatever he decides to, and reap all the followers he will find to for the topic, that's how world is these days.

I believe one has to find what works for him and tweak it to the best maximum scenario to achieve whatever one aims, but for the most part - overtraining is very real, just go at it and try it.

If you want to train twice a day and not over train, try this. Train in the morning for about 45 mins until your cortisol level rises, then stop training, take your post workout drink and go home. In the afternoon, the same thing. Each workout should be short but intense. It's the 3hrs in the gym twice a day that just saps the glycogen out of your muscles. Your muscles are almost 2/3 glycogen based and it takes time for them to replenish. I would work two days in a row and take a day off. If you're in good shape, try 3 on and 1 off.
    InternalFire likes this.

Juced_porkchop is offline Knowledgeable Member
    3-4 HEAVY workouts a week for me. best for mass IMO

Alright a little update. School/work start on Thursday so I will only be able to workout 2 times a day for two more days. This week I actually did two workouts a day 6 days straight and I felt really good, I even questioned if i should take a break yesterday, but since I had done 12 workouts in 1 week i figured my body might need some rest. Today I'm back at it working out my back, and I don't feel good at all. I woke up with a headache, i'm low on energy and my first workout wasn't really good either. Feeling really tired (it's also warmer today than usual, but i'm not sure if that's the problem), but I hope my second workout will be better. Gonna take some pain killers and the caffeine will probably get me some energy.

Your body is amazingly intelligent. LOL Listen to your body. If you're tired, rest.

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneMuscle View Post
    My curtains are black, and shoelaces are different colour too...
    im so confused lol

Quote Originally Posted by Tlolec View Post

im so confused lol
    So was I when I read your out of topic comment... replied in the same fashion

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    Alright a little update. School/work start on Thursday so I will only be able to workout 2 times a day for two more days. This week I actually did two workouts a day 6 days straight and I felt really good, I even questioned if i should take a break yesterday, but since I had done 12 workouts in 1 week i figured my body might need some rest. Today I'm back at it working out my back, and I don't feel good at all. I woke up with a headache, i'm low on energy and my first workout wasn't really good either. Feeling really tired (it's also warmer today than usual, but i'm not sure if that's the problem), but I hope my second workout will be better. Gonna take some pain killers and the caffeine will probably get me some energy.
    Why do you need to take pain killers?

luke14 is offline New Member
    So I've had a lot of free time this summer and decided to train two times a day. I train 4 days and rest 1 day then start over. I've been doing so for 25 days now and the last week i've been getting worse and worse. I take nearly 2000mg caffeine a day and not sure if it matter but i also take ritalin. I'm 18 and don't take any steroids (feel like my natural testosterone is high anyway). I eat around 3000 calories a day and the macros are ~ 300p, 300c, 60f

I felt really good in the begining, but now im exhausted and shaking, also feel like I'm getting a fever.
    Ya man, overtraining is a big part. I have had that. two times a day is not for every one. I advice you to stop it right now. it can lower your test level to a number count of 200ng/dL, it's really low. it also can damage your immune strength, your local receptors, your joints. And even kidney or lever problems.

just higher the intensity. not thaat high frequency. take your supps and crush the weights and your goals but keeping it safe and obviously better and healthy.
    Last edited by luke14; 08-17-2016 at 05:51 AM.

Jonbana is offline Member
    2000mg of caffein a day could kill someone in pretty sure. Also over training doesn't exists it's called under eating

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonbana View Post
    Also over training doesn't exists it's called under eating
    Nothing could be further from the truth.

Try and go feed your CNS, your tendons and joints and tell us how

luke14 is offline New Member
    hell man. Overtraining obviously do exist.

Marsoc is offline Productive Member

You do know there is such thing as a caffeine overdose right. The news had a story about a kid dying because he took the caffeine powder and over dosed. And other then that. I can relate to getting sick from training. Yeah because I go so hard till the point that I'm puking in the garbage can. Lol that's about it but yeah overtraining and lack of rest I'm sure can take a toll on ur immune system. Not to mention that your 18 and still developing and your body is adjusting to the dynamics and pressures etc of intense physical days. I'm sure you'll adapt to this in time
    Last edited by Marsoc; 08-25-2016 at 09:16 PM.

Thread Information