cwhid is offline Junior Member

Angry im really sick of my puny guns

Arite fellas....ive been schooling myself up on AR for about 3 months now, have tried MANY new workouts, and im happy with my progress in every single area except my bi's. My arms look big but thats only b/c my tris and shoulders are very strong for my size, but my bi's lack that bulging look and have more of a flat look. My bi workout goes something like this alternating others in and out each week, but heres the basis.

standing straight bar curls 3x10, 8, 6
    single arm db preacher curls 3x10, 8, 6
    hammer curls 2x10
    alt. incline db curls 2x10

i know this might be considered overtraining, but when i do less i dont even feel any kind of soreness the next day. Also, by far the weakest exercise is the incline curls....i flat out suck at them. Is there a certain muscle that is isolated in that movement that i need to focus on? Thanks in advance for any replies
    Chris

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    Measuring you workouts by how sore you are afterwards is a sure fire way to fail. Your workout does look similiar to mine.
    Standing long barbell curls 4 sets 8,8,6,6
    One armed preacher curl 4 sets of 8
    hammer curls 4 sets of 8
    concentration curls 4 sets of 8-10

MrMuscle is offline New Member
    You dont think you might be overdoing it?
    Its hard to tel, but for some people less actually is better.

Try doing 6 sets instead of 10 for a priod of time.
    I didnt quite get the first part, have you tried several programs the last 3 months? Maybe you havent used them long enough for the results to start showing? i dunno, im just throwing it out there.

mac55 is offline Junior Member
    Your exercises are chosen pretty well, but you might want to do something like this: Straight barbell curl (8,6,4,4), Preacher Curl (4x6), Incline DB curl, now when you do these make srue that your wrists are faing up the whole time, at no point should the turn in facing your legs (8,6,6) Hammer curl (4x6) You should switch up the exercises ever few workouts, try some reverse curls, cable curls, concentration curl... need more exercises pm me.

TheMudMan is offline Retired~ AR-Hall of Famer
    "Less is best" I was told this years ago and it has helped me out. I do 6 to 8 sets for bi's and don't have a set number for reps but rarely go less than 8 reps and no more than 12 reps. Just make sure each rep counts!

cwhid is offline Junior Member
    Thanx for the replies guys....i guess ill try to cut it down to 6-8 sets for the next couple workouts and see how that works for me. ABout the first part--ive been doing this workout since about january, but ive varied the exercises, number of reps, and even number of sets. I've never dipped below 10 sets, so im guessin thats the next thing i need to try.
    Chris

saboudian is offline Senior Member
    man there are so many frickin bicep exercises, btw thats a good thing. This lets you switch up the exercises every single week, and this is what you need to do, switch all the exercises every week.

I also tend to focus more on the contraction and really, really squeeze as hard as i can every single rep, this forces me to use much lighter weight, but i feel this really helps quite a bit.

I usually go fairly light on BI exercises, about 12 reps or so, and to me this is a body part that you can really really push. So i never need more than 6 sets at the most, and i don't think you should either if each set is intense.

smash is offline New Member
    are you doing biceps on a seperate day than back? i used to do that and i went through a whole cycle with no bicep growth at all. it was only when i was off the juice and combined back/bicep to the same day did they really start to blow up.. after a tough back workout, all i need for biceps is 4 sets of db preacher and 4 sets of hammers. going this route made all the difference in the world for me.

MR BICEPS is offline Associate Member

Dont agree!

Bro I dont agree with some of what I'm reading. I have 20 inch arms at 215 lbs at 5'10 heigth. Now genetics dictates how big your bi's will become. I'm guessing you have nice calves!
    Try doing 6 sets of seated incline dumbell curls twice a week if your on the juice. If your not on the juice do 5 sets twice a week.Put form and peak contraction before the amount of weight you use. Weight two too three minutes between sets.
    Jumping around from exercise to exercise inorder to try and shock your bi's into growth is only a pipe dream. I only do one exercise for my bi' and one for my tri's . My arms where 19 inches before ever touching a steroid . I have two cycles under my belt.
    Its gentics that you are up against but train smart and overcome them the best of your ability!

lethal is offline Junior Member
    Well I just wanna say that I m not sure I agree with Mr. Biceps on the one movement per bi and tri. I do think people naturally overtrain the arms in hopes of getting more growth but i do feel that the majority of people would benefit from a more rounded workout. Genetics plays a big role in growth which must have been what has helped you to grow by using this method.
    Lethal

F40
    F40 is offline Junior Member
    Look stop messing around.

4 set of barbell curls ranging from 10 reps to 5 reps.
    Then do 3 sets of chins (do not go all the way down - keep the tension on your arms..).

CURL WITH PERFECT FORM and this is all you need to do. The rest is overtraining - don't forget how small a muscle group the biceps are.

If you're juicing then ignore me....

Thread Information