kc
    kc is offline Female Member

shorty w/ deadlift question

hey guys...at my new gym i've gotta build my bar for deadlifts, i have always been able to use the "premade" bars so they are closer to the ground, allowing me to bend further into the deadlift. Now, when i put the 45's on the bar, it's almost at my knees. Short of standing on something, is there anything I can do to correct this problem? Tonight I just put 2 quarters on each side but soon I hope to be lifting 160# plus and that just doesn't work well without 45's...any ideas?

KeyMastur is offline VET
    I was gonna suggest what you have already done - use 25 pound plates. This allows you to get deeper into the dead lift if you haven't any sort of box or step to stand on.

But, I'm sure your gym has the step boxes for step aerobics lying somewhere around. Use those and you can keep the macho (I know you're a lady though) 45's on there.
    Last edited by KeyMastur; 07-02-2003 at 09:35 PM.

kc
    thanks key..i'm just a little leary of standing on anything but i'm gonna have to try it. tonight it was 2 quarters and a 10 on each side...guess i can move to 35's and just keep on stackin..till i get the guts to stand on something. I think i'm afraid on commin down on my last rep and losin my balance, it's kinda always a fear of mine...if i close my eyes, i can't do deadlifts and by rep 12 or so i'm about ready to drop the bar and my eyes just close...guess it's just habit or something. know what i just realized? i AM deadlifting 160..hehe, guess it kinda snuck up on me

KeyMastur is offline VET
    scared of losing your balance are we ?? gotta overcome that fear of heights. haha.

the step boxes are pretty stable. you could always put it near the open squat rack. that way you could load the weights up on the rack, then just grab it and step up. when you're finished with a set, step back (or forward depending on which way you like to face) and drop the weight back into the rack. understand ??

kc
    yep, i don't have a problem setting the weights down or pickin them up...it's something with my balance, with my eyes closed it forgets to work or something....makes life interesting at times

KeyMastur is offline VET
    why are you closing your eyes when working out ?? it always happens near the end of a set ?? are you getting short of breath too ??

kc
    na, just a reflex for me...i hit those last few reps and they close...i didn't even know it until somebody pointed it out to me...physically i'm ok...just a reflex when the weight gets really tough

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    Some scotch tape can work in keeping them open. But I recommend what Key was saying about using the step boxes. If you're that worried about falling, have someone spot you from behind of in front in case you do lose your balance.

kc
    think i'm gonna stick to smaller plates until i gotta hit the 45's...by then hopefully i can kill that reflex

Thread Information