• 3 Post By jstone
  • 2 Post By Jonbana
  • 3 Post By songdog
  • 1 Post By MuscleScience
  • 3 Post By songdog

Thread: Dead Lifts

JDToronto is offline Associate Member

Dead Lifts

On back day, do you always do dead lifts? I have ever since I've started weights but I hate doing them, are there other exercises that give the same benefits? I know dead lifts are is an excellent exercise for over all strength, but I am not crazy about it. Maybe I'm getting lazy..lol

jstone is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Deadlifts are great, and I love them I do them on leg day, and for back day I do rack pulls. If you dont like deadlifts you can look up rack pulls. They basically make it a back only exercise.

Even if you hate deadlifts, I wouldn't stop doing them. I think its one of the most important lifts to do.
    Marsoc, Red Bastard and rt4man like this.

Jonbana is offline Member
    I never do dead lifts on back day I do them on leg day
    Marsoc and Red Bastard like this.

Interesting, the program I'm on the dead lift is listing under back day.

Marsoc is offline Productive Member
    removed...
    Unsure what I was rambling about
    Last edited by Marsoc; 01-19-2017 at 07:59 AM.

Removed...
    I'm an idiot lol
    Last edited by Marsoc; 01-19-2017 at 08:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marsoc View Post
    I do straight legs dead lifts cuz I want to hit my spinal erectors mostly. On back day. Leg day I'm going all out on compund super sets. Squats to leg press etcetc. All angles. So I can't imagine doing deadlifts on leg day. I have to find a day for dead lifts only.
    Since i work out from home, I've got limited equipment other than Barbell rack, barbells, lots of plates and two different dumb bells (Iron Master and another one which has all the weights in one). So the only thing I can do for legs is squats, I cannot do lunges because of knee's issues.

When doing Dead lifts, I use a strap on the heavy weights, even though it's not recommended because without it I can build strong grip and forearms. Today I did back but skipped the dead lifts. Too tired due to bad sleep last night, so I felt lazy, wanted to skip my work out today but felt guilty not doing it..lol

Quote Originally Posted by JDToronto View Post
    Since i work out from home, I've got limited equipment other than Barbell rack, barbells, lots of plates and two different dumb bells (Iron Master and another one which has all the weights in one). So the only thing I can do for legs is squats, I cannot do lunges because of knee's issues.

When doing Dead lifts, I use a strap on the heavy weights, even though it's not recommended because without it I can build strong grip and forearms. Today I did back but skipped the dead lifts. Too tired due to bad sleep last night, so I felt lazy, wanted to skip my work out today but felt guilty not doing it..lol
    It's better then hurting yourself I feel rather then you making the attempt to tired
    Last edited by Marsoc; 11-05-2016 at 12:51 AM.

It's better then hurting yourself I feel you made the attempt to tired
    Nope, I had a shitty sleep last night, too much on my mind.

Scorpion0922 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Rack deads on back day; one of my favorites.

songdog is offline ARs TOP DOG ~ MONITOR ~
    Just beacuse you dont like them doesn't mean they are not good for you.Just eat your veggies lil Johnny they will make you big! SUCK IT UP!
    Marsoc, Red Bastard and Mr.BB like this.

Grappler13 is offline Productive Member
    I swear dead lifts are my favorite exercise. If I had to pick one single exercise to do, it'd be deads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Euroholic is offline "ARs Pork Eating Crusader"
    Deadlifts make my traps explode like no other.
    I do them at the end of my work out so i dont have to go as heavy.

Euroholic is offline "ARs Pork Eating Crusader"
    If i could only do one movement it would be deadlift.

Nope, I had a shitty sleep last night, too much on my mind.
    My bad I had to edit my reply. I meant to say it's better that u didn't make the attempt and hurt urself since u were to tired

My bad I had to edit my reply. I meant to say it's better that u didn't make the attempt and hurt urself since u were to tired
    Ahh, okay, yea, but i feel guilty if I don't work out. I should of waited to today because you don't lift as heavy when tired, well, I don't. But I think I did more than usual on a tired day.lol

sgt2jay is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I hit deads on Hammy day.
    usually heavy deads and work my way to some singles
    then straight legs lower weight higher reps
    then I hit standing and laying leg curls.

love the burn

Grappler13 is offline Productive Member
    Just came back from deadlifting. Always a great day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sgt2jay View Post
    I hit deads on Hammy day.
    usually heavy deads and work my way to some singles
    then straight legs lower weight higher reps
    then I hit standing and laying leg curls.

love the burn
    That's what I do too.
    sgt2jay likes this.

Red Bastard is offline Member
    Such a satisfying exercise, with so much translation to "real world" movements.
    Lifting heavy shit up, off the ground, is as basic as it gets.

Mr.BB is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MuscleScience View Post
    That's what I do too.
    Same here. Although sometimes hit the leg curls first.

songdog is offline ARs TOP DOG ~ MONITOR ~
    Deadlifts and squats are true mass builders!
    Red Bastard, tarmyg and babster like this.

babster is offline New Member
    I agree with the above... I do it 2 times every week . On back day and leg day

blackhat7 is offline New Member
    I generally deadlift on leg day especially if im doing sumo. I have to squat first because its way more taxing for me to start with deads.

You say this like it is a bad thing. Doing squats and deadlifts gives you a leg up on most guys who go to fancy gyms and do everything they can to avoid these two exercises . . . and it shows.

On back day, do you always do dead lifts? I have ever since I've started weights but I hate doing them, are there other exercises that give the same benefits? I know dead lifts are is an excellent exercise for over all strength, but I am not crazy about it. Maybe I'm getting lazy..lol
    They are not supposed to feel good. They are uncomfortable. So are squats. This is why most guys skip them. The discomfort you feel forces your body to make drastic adaptations that greatly affect your strength and appearance.

They are brutal. They work.

Keep doing deadlifts. No, there is nothing else that gives "the same benefits."

Quote Originally Posted by oldnsedentary View Post
    They are not supposed to feel good. They are uncomfortable. So are squats. This is why most guys skip them. The discomfort you feel forces your body to make drastic adaptations that greatly affect your strength and appearance.

They are brutal. They work.

Keep doing deadlifts. No, there is nothing else that gives "the same benefits."
    The old saying goes "No pain , go gain". Even though I hate doing them, I still do it. If feels like my workout is not complete if I don't. And it feels good at the end because I did something I don't like doing.

Buster Brown is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Maybe try doing them every other back workout and alternate with heavy bent over rows. I always do them second so I am thoroughly warmed up. I tend to do low reps 8/6/5/3/3 but you can but theres nothing that says you cant do a day with more reps and less sets. As long as your pushing from your heals and your not leaning over the bar and constantly tweaking them form keep doing them They ARE amazing and will thicken your back right up the middle like nothing else will. Just like you cycle your training (hopefully) cycle your deadlifts as well.

MTheoryFreak is offline Junior Member
    Blog Entries
    I do deadlifts on leg or back day depending on how I feel. I love them but I have to be careful. I have pulled a hamstring 2 times and nursing an erector spinae injury now. I really love the movement, but yeah they can really test your mental conditioning.

U sure of the exact mechanic. But I like straight leg dead lifts for back to focus on my lower back I.e spinal erectors. Opposed to getting more of a 1/4 squat in with the deadlifts. Maybe I'm wrong. Since I heard the straight legs work hams. But I always felt it in lower back and helped me a lot with jobs around the house I.e shoveling etc. I would never get sore or hurt my back

Thread Information