Couchlock is offline Banned

Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation

Okay guys I'm pretty damn sure that a TENS unit does nothing for muscle building but I've never really scientifically researched it the few things I've read on it some say yes some say no.

But being as it does cause pretty good muscle contraction would it be something 2 put on while I sleep and would it cost for muscle building average if someone is on cycle using a TENS unit or would be on cycle cost of tens unit to actually build muscle

600@50 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Don't waste your time and money on a TENS unit for building muscle. It doesn't work that way. But it would be nice if it did.

TRA
    TRA is offline Knowledgeable Member
    TENS unit is not good but there is a muscle stim unit that will get decent contractions out of muscle. They use it for post-surgical rehab and therapy. You can google and find out some results the Russians got with it initially.
    I had a buddy that lifts and got the 4 channel stim unit because work was getting crazy and he wanted to see if it would keep him from losing mass or recent gains. He said way too painful on certain muscle groups (biceps, etc.) but he used it on chest and calves. Painful as hell but he felt it did some work on calves, +/- on chest.
    Reported it was pretty painful to get decent contractions and lifting much preferable.

600@50 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    The reason this kind of contraction of the muscle is so painful is that there is no resistance to the contraction. It's more of a severe cramp than anything else. It's only purpose is for rehab and some injuries.

TRA
    TRA is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 600@50 View Post
    The reason this kind of contraction of the muscle is so painful is that there is no resistance to the contraction. It's more of a severe cramp than anything else. It's only purpose is for rehab and some injuries.
    Agree. I think if used correctly can prevent or greatly reduce rate of loss of gains in extreme circumstances, certainly not implying it would result in gains. If anyone agrees to use one, I would greatly appreciate a video of the use being posted

Thread Information