Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Nephets
  • 1 Post By Mr.BB

Thread: How does this routine look?

Jonbana is offline Member

How does this routine look?

Making a new routine any suggestions would be nice or body part switches / split

Chest / tri
    Back / Bi
    Shoulers
    Legs
    Rest
    Repeat

I would like a 3 day split but don't know how to set one up besides PPL

Chest I'm think one of these too

Barbell incline bench Press
    Dumbbell Flat Bench Press
    Machine Bench Press
    Pec Deck
    Cable Cross Over
    Close Grip bench press
    Cable Rope Pull DOwn

or
    Barbell Incline Press
    Dumbbell Incline Fly
    Dumbbell Flat Bench Press
    Pec Deck
    Cable Cross Over
    Close Grip Bench Press
    Cable Rope pull down

for back im think one of these

Pull-up
    Lat Pull-Down
    T-bar row
    Dumbbell one arm row
    Seated cable row
    Dumbbell Alternating Curl
    Cable hammer Curl

or

Pull-up
    Barbell bent over row
    Lat pull-down
    Dumbbell one arm row
    seated cable row
    Dumbbell alternating curl
    cable hammer curl

shoulders

Dumbbell seat over head press
    Dumbbell Side lateral
    Dumbbell Bent over rear Fly
    Barbell Up right Row
    Shoulder Shrugs

maybe combine this with legs to make a three day split?

DHew is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    I have a 3 day split. Sometimes I toss in a fourth and target shoulders and hamstrings again. It does me well and is suiting just fine for a competition coming up. My first thought after reading your approach is there is way too much going on.

1 chest tri shoulder: incline bench, pec deck, cable x overs.
    Skull crushers, reverse grip extensions, single arm cable pull down
    Pick one shoulder exercise.
    2: legs: front squats, leg extensions, leg curls, leg press
    3: back bi: wide pull down, Tbar row, seated cable row
    Preacher curl, wide grip barbell curl, hammer curl

Everything is basically 4 sets of 8-10, don't over complicate things with 25 plus sets per muscle group, no point

charger69 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I agree that there is too much going on. The routine is dificult to define without knowing your weak body part. Mine is legs so I split up the quads and hamstrings on different days.

Quads
    Bicep/ tricep
    Back
    Chest
    Hams
    Shoulders

I mix up my exercises at every change of routine depending on the results I am looking for. Since I compete, I evaluate the shape of the muscle and try to adjust the routine based on this data. Right now I am trying to focus on calves and forearms and work those in the second workout of the day on seperate days.

Mr.BB is offline Anabolic Member
    Neither of those splits would fit me.

Will say that with the amount of exercises you are including your intensity is not very high, which is what you should focus more than any specific split.

Keep your body guessing, I literally dont know what exercises im doing when I enter the gym.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.BB
    Neither of those splits would fit me. Will say that with the amount of exercises you are including your intensity is not very high, which is what you should focus more than any specific split. Keep your body guessing, I literally dont know what exercises im doing when I enter the gym.
    I always focu on increasing resistance each workout, whether it is reps or weight. How do you accomplish this by constantly changing the routine. I know people that can do this, but I have not been able to master this. Between 4-6 weeks and I reach a plateu and need to change the routine. How do you maximize your gains by changing the exercises every time?

Nephets is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by charger69 View Post
    I always focu on increasing resistance each workout, whether it is reps or weight. How do you accomplish this by constantly changing the routine. I know people that can do this, but I have not been able to master this. Between 4-6 weeks and I reach a plateu and need to change the routine. How do you maximize your gains by changing the exercises every time?
    Im assuming you would have to make sure you were taking your sets to failure.
    Mr.BB likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephets
    Even with that, I consider that there is always that"correct weight" for each exercise based on the routine ( sets, reps, superset combos, rest time, etc). If I am not at that weight, my progress hits a plateau or at least it takes me more time to increase the resistance. Probably just a mental block, but if I do not get that extra rep or increase the weight from one wokout to the other, I get frustrated. If a machine or aparatus is busy, I wil substitute every now and then, but it is always plan B and not the first option.

Quote Originally Posted by DHew View Post
    I have a 3 day split. Sometimes I toss in a fourth and target shoulders and hamstrings again. It does me well and is suiting just fine for a competition coming up. My first thought after reading your approach is there is way too much going on.

1 chest tri shoulder: incline bench, pec deck, cable x overs.
    Skull crushers, reverse grip extensions, single arm cable pull down
    Pick one shoulder exercise.
    2: legs: front squats, leg extensions, leg curls, leg press
    3: back bi: wide pull down, Tbar row, seated cable row
    Preacher curl, wide grip barbell curl, hammer curl

Everything is basically 4 sets of 8-10, don't over complicate things with 25 plus sets per muscle group, no point
    3 day split so I was thinking maybe

Chest bi
    Back tri
    Shoulders legs
    Rest

How many working sets should I do?
    Normally I do big groups 4x8-10 4 exercise and smaller groups 2 exercises 4-10

So my current chest day

16 working sets 4x10 each x4 total
    Tris 8 working sets 4x10 x 2 total

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.BB View Post
    Neither of those splits would fit me.

Will say that with the amount of exercises you are including your intensity is not very high, which is what you should focus more than any specific split.

Keep your body guessing, I literally dont know what exercises im doing when I enter the gym.
    What does a chest day look like for you omguessing
    3 movements only ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jonbana View Post
    What does a chest day look like for you omguessing
    3 movements only ?
    Chest and Bi's

BB bench press - 2 warmups, 1 working with drop+RP

DB incline press - 1 warmup, 1 feeler, 1 working with DD

DB incline flies - 1 feeler, 1 working with drop

Peck dec - 1 feeler, 1 working DD

DB alternating curl with twist - 1 feeler, 1 working

Hammer preacher curl single arm - 2 working, drop, forced and negatives

Cable rope curl - 1 feeler, 1 working DD

Bent over curl (arnold style) - 1 working with TD, forced and partials.
    .... from Marcus Hit Dungeon

EDIT: just an example
    Last edited by Mr.BB; 12-09-2016 at 01:45 PM.

Even with that, I consider that there is always that"correct weight" for each exercise based on the routine ( sets, reps, superset combos, rest time, etc). If I am not at that weight, my progress hits a plateau or at least it takes me more time to increase the resistance. Probably just a mental block, but if I do not get that extra rep or increase the weight from one wokout to the other, I get frustrated. If a machine or aparatus is busy, I wil substitute every now and then, but it is always plan B and not the first option.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephets View Post
    ^^^This, plus reducing time between sets.

I don't train to improve my efficiency on a certain exercise, thats powerlifting stuff. Powerlifters train to lift as much weight as possible on 3 exercises, most dont really have big muscles. To be able to lift more weight in a certain exercise comes much more from technique and practice than muscle size.

If you continue with this plan that on every workout you need to increase weight or number of reps in a few years you are curling 300lbs?!? Not really feasible, huh?

I could totally destroy all your plans for a workout if I was training you for the 1st exercise, applying some HIT techniques to failure and beyond, you could be totally wrecked with one set.
    At the end of the day what matter is muscle destruction (so it can rebuild stronger) at least for me.

I do see a lot of guy in the gym doing countless sets, and counting reps religiously, all looks a waste of time for me (and of equipment usage when ppl are waiting grrrr)
    ghettoboyd likes this.

.... from Marcus Hit Dungeon

EDIT: just an example
    That's a lot of bicep movements I normally do 3 tops...

Quote Originally Posted by Jonbana View Post
    That's a lot of bicep movements I normally do 3 tops...
    7 sets. How much you do?

8-9

2 sets of 4x10
    or
    3 sets or 3x10

didn't look at it that way

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.BB
    ^^^This, plus reducing time between sets. I don't train to improve my efficiency on a certain exercise, thats powerlifting stuff. Powerlifters train to lift as much weight as possible on 3 exercises, most dont really have big muscles. To be able to lift more weight in a certain exercise comes much more from technique and practice than muscle size. If you continue with this plan that on every workout you need to increase weight or number of reps in a few years you are curling 300lbs?!? Not really feasible, huh? I could totally destroy all your plans for a workout if I was training you for the 1st exercise, applying some HIT techniques to failure and beyond, you could be totally wrecked with one set. At the end of the day what matter is muscle destruction (so it can rebuild stronger) at least for me. I do see a lot of guy in the gym doing countless sets, and counting reps religiously, all looks a waste of time for me (and of equipment usage when ppl are waiting grrrr)
    Let me give you my theory so you can shoot holes in it... I am at the point that I am trying to obtain any advantage that I can. Time is running for me and I want to try and maximize my effort.
    I guess I was too general. Changing resistance can be weight, time under tension, ret period, order of exercises , etc.
    My belief is that the nervious system tries to adapt. Muscle growth peaks after adaptation. To get the muscle to maximize growth, there needs to be consistancy. If I consistantly change the angles of exercise, One does not obtain the benefit of of the muscle trying to adapt. Muscle growth peaks after the adaptation, not during.
    I was not able to find any sport studies that either confirmed or rejected this idea. I'll bet Mr BB does!
    From a bro science aspect, I have seen people that change it constantly and have been able to make great results, and ones that can't. On the other side, the same thing.
    I have tried changing constantly and was not able to see the same increases.

Let me give you my theory so you can shoot holes in it... I am at the point that I am trying to obtain any advantage that I can. Time is running for me and I want to try and maximize my effort.
    I guess I was too general. Changing resistance can be weight, time under tension, ret period, order of exercises , etc.
    My belief is that the nervious system tries to adapt. Muscle growth peaks after adaptation. To get the muscle to maximize growth, there needs to be consistancy. If I consistantly change the angles of exercise, One does not obtain the benefit of of the muscle trying to adapt. Muscle growth peaks after the adaptation, not during.
    I was not able to find any sport studies that either confirmed or rejected this idea. I'll bet Mr BB does!
    From a bro science aspect, I have seen people that change it constantly and have been able to make great results, and ones that can't. On the other side, the same thing.
    I have tried changing constantly and was not able to see the same increases.
    Dont think we are so far off from each other. We got to do whatever works for us, we are all different.

Keep hitting it hard

green22 is offline Senior Member
    Volume looks way to high for chest. 9-12 sets max for everything except maybe legs. If u doing that many sets u not working hard enough. No more than 1 HR or 1 HR 15 min. Are u talking to much bro. That just seems way to high!!!

manaboi is offline New Member
    That looks like a strong routine. I can give you what I do and maybe it may help.

Shoulders/Quads/Calves
    Back/Traps/Bi's
    Chest/Tri's/Hams/Calves

I most likely do them like that the whole week and take Sunday off. The beginning of the week is when I go heavy like 4 sets 12,10,8,8 but I make sure that every set I struggle 2 reps before my rep number. Then the last 3 days of the week I'll go for 7 sets of 20 and here I stay about 60-75%. By the time my 5-7 set comes I'm torn up. I try to finish all but if I miss anything I always try to make it up the next time I'm in the gym. People say its overtrain but I love when my body is in shock. Pain is temporary your goal is your lifetime achievements. "There's only one speed and thats FULL SPEED Brother". Good luck

Thread Information