hardroad is offline Junior Member

Hypertrophic effect on spreading total volume moved

I've been reading a lot from Dr Mike Israetel and it has me thinking about what will give the greatest hypertrophic effects on any given muscle fibre. For myself the age old week rotation training large volume and each body part and giving it a week to rest has never netted me the gains that spreading the same amount of work load over a week has.

Example: instead of doing a cheat day, spread the chest exercises over a week, as the HST training approach implies. Taking this further I would like to know what people think and have seen if they count total volume moved over a week, as in 6 X 10 reps of 100kg = 6,000 kg total volume moved. If I did this on one day and left it a week as opposed to 2 X 10 reps of 100kgs every two days over the course of a week I've still accumulated 6,000kgs weight moved but which would have the greatest hypertrophic effect?

Obviously the first would have a higher effect on the CNS and muscle fibre in the short term but would the second give greater potential for fibre growth given a more frequent stimulus?

What's your thoughts ?

Marsoc is offline Productive Member
    I don't think about it to much or hard. All I do is heavy weight high volume one a week for that muscle group besides calfs ..all to failure or beyond. Actual failure and your good

Thread Information