Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Quester
  • 1 Post By marcus300
  • 1 Post By Nephets

Thread: Leg Day.

MyStory is offline New Member

Leg Day.

I was stoked to hit the gym on leg day tonight as I was watching the Dorian shows and thought "ya man, it's gonna get done".

That was my attitude right up until the weight hit my shoulders. For some reason I can't get enough oxygen in my body to lift heavy weight for squats and stiff leg deadlift. I'm literally sitting down drenched in sweat gasping for air...

Now I'm relatively new at this so I do believe half my problem is too much weight; but I only put 180 on the bar. I've been at this for 2 years and struggling with this weight feels like a let down.

My question after whining like a bitch for 3 paragraphs is when you increase the weight do you require more oxygen as well? Seems to me the math doesn't add up as you only have 1 size lungs so how can people lift ridiculous weight and still stay concious... is there a trick or should I wait longer between sets for squats imparticular or swallow my pride and lower the weight.

PT1982 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    How much do you weigh? I use light weight on squats due to a back injury and bone disease, but I feel like it's got to get done either way. You might need to start a 5x5 routine to get stronger and be able to up the weight. Heck, start by doing 3x5s for a few weeks and work up to the 5x5. It really does work wonders for busting through plateaus and when the weights just seem to "stick".

MyStory is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PT1982 View Post
    How much do you weigh? I use light weight on squats due to a back injury and bone disease, but I feel like it's got to get done either way. You might need to start a 5x5 routine to get stronger and be able to up the weight. Heck, start by doing 3x5s for a few weeks and work up to the 5x5. It really does work wonders for busting through plateaus and when the weights just seem to "stick".
    I weigh 215 pounds; 6'4 height. I probably have 25-30 % BF .

Quester is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PT1982 View Post
    Hey PT,
    I got similar problems with my back. I'm considering using the trap bar instead of the BB. The center of gravity is through your arms and waist. All your back has to do is maintain posture.
    I've been hesitant, purism, but I think it may be the most efficient and functional choice.
    PT1982 likes this.

Quester is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MyStory View Post
    I was stoked to hit the gym on leg day tonight as I was watching the Dorian shows and thought "ya man, it's gonna get done".

That was my attitude right up until the weight hit my shoulders. For some reason I can't get enough oxygen in my body to lift heavy weight for squats and stiff leg deadlift. I'm literally sitting down drenched in sweat gasping for air...

Now I'm relatively new at this so I do believe half my problem is too much weight; but I only put 180 on the bar. I've been at this for 2 years and struggling with this weight feels like a let down.

My question after whining like a bitch for 3 paragraphs is when you increase the weight do you require more oxygen as well? Seems to me the math doesn't add up as you only have 1 size lungs so how can people lift ridiculous weight and still stay concious... is there a trick or should I wait longer between sets for squats imparticular or swallow my pride and lower the weight.
    I don't think weight has to do with oxygen usage. I haven't read to much of what you had to say earlier because I think I may be able to address (not necessarily answer) this part of what your talking about.
    At 97-99% oxygen saturation most can lift whatever weight with oxygen not being a problem. When oxygen isn't being transferred to the muscles fast enough for ATP synthesis, the muscles use lactose fermentation. This is less efficient, it only creates 2 ATP molecules for the same input of glucose. Later, the muscles (or I think it may be the liver) uncouple the lactose to form glucose. This process is what causes post exercise oxygen absorption. Perhaps your issue is lies here? Maybe your not able to shuttle enough oxygen to your muscles and/or your not able to make ATP out of it fast enough for the demand?
    But, more likely, it's way simpler than that...

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    Probably should up the cardio and up the reps with lower weight . If you're not cardiovascularly fit, you can "gas," quickly even while lifting.
    “If you can't explain it to a second grader, you probably don't understand it yourself.” Albert Einstein

"Juice slow, train smart, it's a long journey."
    BG

"In a world full of pussies, being a redneck is not a bad thing."
    OB

Body building is a way of life..........but can not get in the way of your life.
    BG

No Source Check Please, I don't know of any.

Depressed? Healthy Way Out!

Tips For Young Lifters

MuscleScience Training Log

OnTheGrindAgain is offline New Member
    Literally me when I started man, it takes time. Deadlifts and squats take a lot it of you for sure. Only thing the that helped was adding some light cardi just to train the lungs up lol

Chicagotarsier is offline Senior Member
    Reading the OP question I had to deal with it. Half was stick with 10x10 slowly advancing 2.5-5 lbs a week. Half was eating some carbs before workout.

As far as back injury I moved to doing reverse grip bent over rows with a BB. Strengthened up my issue and allows me to lift traditionally

marcus300 is offline ~Retired~ AR-Platinum Elite-Hall of Famer ~
    Increase your cardio and get fitter, this will help drastically. Your not fit enough yet which can result in injury if your not careful so forget about a Dorian style until your fit enough to handle it.
    Marsoc likes this.

Nephets is offline Senior Member

If you aren't able to squat your body weight for reps after 2 years I'm thinking poor form may be more of an issue then your lungs. Two years is a long to be stuck on squats. Try having someone that knows what they are doing look at you squat or post a video up here.
    Marsoc likes this.

Marsoc is offline Productive Member

My last leg day i killed it. When you punish your legs and your reping heavy weight for high volume its going to feel like cardio. Congrats your working hard. And the only way you will improve is to keep at it.
    Honestly i started lifting just recently so i started with 2 plates on each side 225 and was only getting like 3-4 reps. My pride wasnt hurt i said to myself i will break through thresholds and improve. And each week i slightly increase the intensity. Wether thats more weight or more reps etc. and i noticed my strength increasing every week. Im natural so its not as fast as some on juice. But now im repoing that 225 for 12+ There is no certain way. Just increase intensity and get there. Last leg day i changed things up a bit more. Instead if doing a pluimetric dumbell jump squat super set with no rest right after my barbell squats (which winded the shit out of me. Try it sometime lol). But last time i did my barbell squats and super set them with this leverage squat machine and its destroyed my quads all around. I was aining to hit hams more but its hard for me to feel my hams over my quads.
    Get er done

Marsoc is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Quester View Post
    Hey PT,
    I got similar problems with my back. I'm considering using the trap bar instead of the BB. The center of gravity is through your arms and waist. All your back has to do is maintain posture.
    I've been hesitant, purism, but I think it may be the most efficient and functional choice.
    yeah but then your relying on your grip strength. Which gives out eventually before your muscles after a couple sets. just a thought

Thread Information