Anabolics
Search More Than 6,000,000 Posts
Results 1 to 22 of 22
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Are My Psych Meds Holding Me Back ? Pics Included

  1. #1
    pudgeball's Avatar
    pudgeball is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    38

    Are My Psych Meds Holding Me Back ? Pics Included

    I've had a pretty difficult life that's included a traumatic near death experience and growing up in (and still trapped in) a house that's chaotic and abusive . As a result , I only sleep 3-5 hours a night without medications and have an oppressive amount of anxiety/psychic tension with a moderate amount of depression . My official diagnosis is post traumatic stress , general anxiety , depression, and OCD (obsessional sub type - frequently worried about something **really horrible** to me happening that I'm helpless to do anything about)

    I'm taking:

    -Paxil 40mg, an SSRI for my depression , anxiety , OCD , and PTSD .
    -Lyrica 600mg an anti seizure drug for anxiety and psychic tension .
    -Lamictal 200mg a mood stabilizer for psychic tension and my PTSD.
    -Klonopin 4mg , a benzodiazepine for anxiety , and facilitating sleep.
    -Belsomra 20mg a new hypnotic medication for maintaining sleep .
    -Delatestryl 200mg for aquired hypogonadism

    Are My Psych Meds Holding Me Back ? Pics Included-pudgeball.jpg

    I'm 270lbs , 5'11", and 27 years old . I can bench 315 for 5, deadlift 405 for 10, and squat 315 for 10 . I'm concerned my psych medications are making it alot more difficult for me to cut bodyfat or gain lean muscle due to alterations in my sleep architecture and other changes in my chemistry. I'm struggling greatly in those two areas to make positive changes despite a healthy diet of 40pro/40carbs/20fats and working out with my all 5 days a week . It's pretty depressing . I remember before having *severe* issues (and going on meds) in my early 20's being able to make much better progress in the gym (although I was sleeping naturally) . Plus it's not like I'm anywhere near my natural limit for gains either .

    Please Note: I don't intend on going on a steroid cycle ever or the like as I'm pretty out of shape and don't want to make my psychiatric drama any worse . I'm pretty messed up as is and don't even want to risk making things worse/more complicated for my clinicians .

    Any suggestions or helpful comments are much appreciated . Thanks .

  2. #2
    JoeyToronto is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by pudgeball View Post
    I've had a pretty difficult life that's included a traumatic near death experience and growing up in (and still trapped in) a house that's chaotic and abusive . As a result , I only sleep 3-5 hours a night without medications and have an oppressive amount of anxiety/psychic tension with a moderate amount of depression . My official diagnosis is post traumatic stress , general anxiety , depression, and OCD (obsessional sub type - frequently worried about something **really horrible** to me happening that I'm helpless to do anything about)

    I'm taking:

    -Paxil 40mg, an SSRI for my depression , anxiety , OCD , and PTSD .
    -Lyrica 600mg an anti seizure drug for anxiety and psychic tension .
    -Lamictal 200mg a mood stabilizer for psychic tension and my PTSD.
    -Klonopin 4mg , a benzodiazepine for anxiety , and facilitating sleep.
    -Belsomra 20mg a new hypnotic medication for maintaining sleep .
    -Delatestryl 200mg for aquired hypogonadism

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pudgeball.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	446.8 KB 
ID:	169993

    I'm 270lbs , 5'11", and 27 years old . I can bench 315 for 5, deadlift 405 for 10, and squat 315 for 10 . I'm concerned my psych medications are making it alot more difficult for me to cut bodyfat or gain lean muscle due to alterations in my sleep architecture and other changes in my chemistry. I'm struggling greatly in those two areas to make positive changes despite a healthy diet of 40pro/40carbs/20fats and working out with my all 5 days a week . It's pretty depressing . I remember before having *severe* issues (and going on meds) in my early 20's being able to make much better progress in the gym (although I was sleeping naturally) . Plus it's not like I'm anywhere near my natural limit for gains either .

    Please Note: I don't intend on going on a steroid cycle ever or the like as I'm pretty out of shape and don't want to make my psychiatric drama any worse . I'm pretty messed up as is and don't even want to risk making things worse/more complicated for my clinicians .

    Any suggestions or helpful comments are much appreciated . Thanks .
    Well, I'm no doctor but those meds make you calm and slows you down. So, technically yes it can affect your progress. Psychiatrists love giving out meds, a lot of times psycho-therapy is better, they help you understand your behaviour and guide you to improving your condition. You're on a lot of meds, no offense. Try taking natural stuff for your sleep, benzo's and sleeping meds slows your brain down and is known to be bad for your brain ( example, dementia and Alzheimer's later in life), research it. Taking them on occasion rather than often is a different story but everyday? I'd find alternatives.

    If this is a real posting and question, at least your self aware and taking responsibility of your condition.
    Last edited by JoeyToronto; 07-15-2017 at 07:16 PM.

  3. #3
    guitarzan's Avatar
    guitarzan is online now Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    georgia
    Posts
    810
    I can't give advice about the meds, but you are in great shape. Keep up the hard work, tweak diet/workouts as needed and I think you'll be fine

  4. #4
    pudgeball's Avatar
    pudgeball is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeyToronto View Post
    Well, I'm no doctor but those meds make you calm and slows you down. So, technically yes it can affect your progress. Psychiatrists love giving out meds, a lot of times psycho-therapy is better, they help you understand your behaviour and guide you to improving your condition. You're on a lot of meds, no offense. Try taking natural stuff for your sleep, benzo's and sleeping meds slows your brain down and is known to be bad for your brain ( example, dementia and Alzheimer's later in life), research it. Taking them on occasion rather than often is a different story but everyday? I'd find alternatives.

    If this is a real posting and question, at least your self aware and taking responsibility of your condition.
    Hey Joey. Yes, I'm being honest about the difficult position I'm in right now with my life . I do have a therapist, however progress I'm making is pretty slow . . . I want to life an agony free life so badly .

    I hate having to take all these medications, especially the benzodiazepine and belsomra for sleep . Unfortunately , natural herbal stuff like valerian root and the like simply aren't enough to quell my anxieties .
    Last edited by pudgeball; 07-15-2017 at 09:11 PM.

  5. #5
    JoeyToronto is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by pudgeball View Post
    Hey Joey. Yes, I'm being honest about the difficult position I'm in right now with my life . I do have a therapist, however progress I'm making is pretty slow . . . I want to life an agony free life so badly .

    I hate having to take all these medications, especially the benzodiazepine and belsomra for sleep . Unfortunately , natural herbal stuff like valerian root and the like simply aren't enough to quell my anxieties .
    I'm sorry to hear that. Trauma and hardships can take a toll on mental health. Have you tried 5HTP it's a natural herb, that helps with depression and sleep and also for sleep Calcium Magnesium. I heard it helps a lot. Also having a good support system helps a lot too, talking to someone about issues.

    Google each and learn more.

  6. #6
    pudgeball's Avatar
    pudgeball is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeyToronto View Post
    I'm sorry to hear that. Trauma and hardships can take a toll on mental health. Have you tried 5HTP it's a natural herb, that helps with depression and sleep and also for sleep Calcium Magnesium. I heard it helps a lot. Also having a good support system helps a lot too, talking to someone about issues.

    Google each and learn more.

    I've tried 5htp in the past, but it never made me sleepy enough to use it by itself . Also I'm taking paxil, an SSRI, and my doctor told me to not combine the two due to the risk of serotonin syndrome . I've tried Mg2+ and it did help a little to quell anxiety but it was no benzodiazepine .
    Last edited by pudgeball; 07-16-2017 at 10:07 AM.

  7. #7
    JoeyToronto is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by pudgeball View Post
    I've tried 5htp in the past, but it never made me sleepy enough to use it by itself . Also I'm taking paxil, an SSRI, and my doctor told me to not combine the two due to the risk of serotonin syndrome . I've tried Mg2+ and it did help a little to quell anxiety but it was no benzodiazepine .
    Don't get me wrong, I've got anxiety issues myself, and if I'm dealing with something the next day that gets my mind racing the night before I take 0.5 Lorazpam, which is a very small dose. And nothing beats those meds. If you get your full night sleep on it you don't feel groggy. But because my job can be intense and requires a lot of thinking during the day, I somehow manage to do with out the aid because I'm just done and fall asleep at night.lol..but I wouldn't use it everyday. I use it as an absolute last resort.

    Further to that, in my experience when I take those meds, I don't get a good restful deep REM sleep. I get the hours of sleep but I don't wake up feeling "wow, I feel refreshed" compared to nights of natural deep REM sleep.
    Last edited by JoeyToronto; 07-16-2017 at 01:06 PM.

  8. #8
    pudgeball's Avatar
    pudgeball is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeyToronto View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I've got anxiety issues myself, and if I'm dealing with something the next day that gets my mind racing the night before I take 0.5 Lorazpam, which is a very small dose. And nothing beats those meds. If you get your full night sleep on it you don't feel groggy. But because my job can be intense and requires a lot of thinking during the day, I somehow manage to do with out the aid because I'm just done and fall asleep at night.lol..but I wouldn't use it everyday. I use it as an absolute last resort.

    Further to that, in my experience when I take those meds, I don't get a good restful deep REM sleep. I get the hours of sleep but I don't wake up feeling "wow, I feel refreshed" compared to nights of natural deep REM sleep.
    Yup. Exactly all those things . I feel like I am just getting a light sleep Instead of something truely restorative . I'm also on 4mg of klonopin which is the equivalent of eight 0.5 lorazepam/ativan tablets a day. And then I still have to take a belsomra 20mg for sleep. There's got to be a better way. All these meds are really bogging my progress down

  9. #9
    almostgone's Avatar
    almostgone is online now AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    the lower carolina
    Posts
    16,994
    Quote Originally Posted by pudgeball View Post
    Yup. Exactly all those things . I feel like I am just getting a light sleep Instead of something truely restorative . I'm also on 4mg of klonopin which is the equivalent of eight 0.5 lorazepam/ativan tablets a day. And then I still have to take a belsomra 20mg for sleep. There's got to be a better way. All these meds are really bogging my progress down
    If you decide you want to try going off of the benzos, speak with your Dr. first. You will need to be weaned off of them very gradually.

    Edit: I think you may not give yourself enough credit, though. Just out of curiosity, what is your injection protocol for the Delatestryl?
    Last edited by almostgone; 07-16-2017 at 02:45 PM.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

  10. #10
    pudgeball's Avatar
    pudgeball is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by almostgone View Post
    If you decide you want to try going off of the benzos, speak with your Dr. first. You will need to be weaned off of them very gradually.

    Edit: I think you may not give yourself enough credit, though. Just out of curiosity, what is your injection protocol for the Delatestryl?
    1cc once a week and I'm done. I really don't like shots but there aren't many other options that are as convienient for a forgetful patient like me.

    I am kind to myself however , before my sleep got worse and I was on all these psychiatric medications I was in better shape and could make progress more quickly. It's like I'm spinning my wheels on these drugs and they just neuter you physique wise .

  11. #11
    almostgone's Avatar
    almostgone is online now AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    the lower carolina
    Posts
    16,994
    Quote Originally Posted by pudgeball View Post
    1cc once a week and I'm done. I really don't like shots but there aren't many other options that are as convienient for a forgetful patient like me.

    I am kind to myself however , before my sleep got worse and I was on all these psychiatric medications I was in better shape and could make progress more quickly. It's like I'm spinning my wheels on these drugs and they just neuter you physique wise .
    Perhaps the Drs. can cut back on them in the future. I was just thinking that you might benefit from 2x/week injections? It gets rid of the swings in hormone levels when you are on a less frequent injection schedule. Obviously, you can't just drop your meds, but maybe you could optimize your TRT and get a little relief from the anxiety and worry, and also progress a little faster towards you lifting goals?
    Is this a self prescribed TRT or a Dr. ordered TRT? How often are your levels checked, what tests do they run when your levels are checked, etc.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

  12. #12
    pudgeball's Avatar
    pudgeball is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by almostgone View Post
    Perhaps the Drs. can cut back on them in the future. I was just thinking that you might benefit from 2x/week injections? It gets rid of the swings in hormone levels when you are on a less frequent injection schedule. Obviously, you can't just drop your meds, but maybe you could optimize your TRT and get a little relief from the anxiety and worry, and also progress a little faster towards you lifting goals?
    Is this a self prescribed TRT or a Dr. ordered TRT? How often are your levels checked, what tests do they run when your levels are checked, etc.
    I have been on brand Delatestryl since early 2013 . I get tested once a year . I specifically have a standard cbc/triglyceride panel and have free and total testosterone looked at . I used to be on 2x a week injections however I really don't like shots . My doctor and I decided we could get by with once a week and perhaps even 2x a month in the future . (To avoid annoying shots - shots are the main reason why I miss taking my Delatestryl occasionally) . I also was offered to go as high as 400mg a week but again that's more side effects vs benefits . I have no clue if bad effects will outweigh any positive psychiatric effects. Judging by the PI sheet on Delatestryl it seems like most folks get insomnia , anxiety , depression, and hypersexuality as common psychiatric side effects. I dunno if this applies to Depo-Testosterone , or Aveed.

    And yes all of my medications are Rx'ed by a Doctor. I have enough psychiatric drama and torment and the last thing I need are hellish anxiety attacks about being in a criminal. Have way too much on my absurdly inappropriately emotional plate.
    Last edited by pudgeball; 07-16-2017 at 06:52 PM.

  13. #13
    almostgone's Avatar
    almostgone is online now AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    the lower carolina
    Posts
    16,994
    I've been on 1x/month injections (felt horrible), 2x/month (still felt like crap after day 5 or so), 1/week (felt somewhat decent, but still had too much E2 conversion), and have been on .3cc 2x/week for ~ 9 months now. I feel much better on a 2x/week injection schedule and .3cc 2x/week puts me @ 750-ish Total T, just over the top of the range on free T, and my E2 is easily managed with little to no A.I.
    The thing with the infrequent large volume injections is that is much more conversion to estrogen which, for me, tends to screw with how I feel emotionally, how I perceive things, and how I handle stress.
    If you can get past the dislike of injections I would certainly try an injection schedule of more frequent injections of lesser volume. Some guys even go sub-q with their injections, but I prefer IM.
    Just thought I would mention it as that is a variable you can adjust without tinkering with any of your meds and more stable T levels which should help with progress, and also make you feel better in general.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

  14. #14
    Sh0tsf1red is offline Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    645
    Way too many SSRI drugs at once! Not being a dick but I'm surprised to read you haven't attempted suicide.

    I would make a plan to get off those as quickly and safely as possible!

    Do you live in USA? Does you stats have medical or recreational cannabis laws? Could save your life....

  15. #15
    pudgeball's Avatar
    pudgeball is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    38
    My Republican governor made sure that Marijuana is kept illegal until his last day in office . And our medical Marijuana is not only taxed but the most expensive in the nation and reserved for only terminally ill patients in hospice or folks with advanced AIDS.

    I'd like to be a nurse one day and in nursing school you can't test positive for Marijuana even if perscribed.

  16. #16
    pudgeball's Avatar
    pudgeball is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    38
    Also I'm only on one SSRI unless you think that is too many.

  17. #17
    Sh0tsf1red is offline Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    645
    Quote Originally Posted by pudgeball View Post
    Also I'm only on one SSRI unless you think that is too many.
    I thought lamictal was an SSRI also

    Regardless that's a ton of meds and most drugs in that class do list weight gain as side effects

    Sounds like you need to get out of wherever you're living, maybe your state has some type of aid program if you can't afford it

    I just think you're way too young for psychotropics, you'll never be able to get off them

  18. #18
    hardgainer1's Avatar
    hardgainer1 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Long Freaken Island
    Posts
    1,259
    I went off my meds 3 months ago and am ok, They were bloating me like a pregnant whore. I did it with my dr. to be safe and now am fine after being on prozac, depakote, trazadone now Im on nothing and lost 12 lbs of straight up water weight.

    DEFINITELY don't stop taking meds without consulting your psych. That could have way worse effects than retaining a little water IMO

  19. #19
    Couchlockd's Avatar
    Couchlockd is online now Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    2,690
    Your over prescribed.

    9me for this one for that then this to minimize sides of that, then one more to make you sleep. One more for anxiety. Etc.

    Minimal is needed

  20. #20
    Kai Lover is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    N. Ireland
    Posts
    210
    pudgeball, I've been in psychiatric care twice. The police came out to get me the first time.

    Since then, I've done 3 different rehabs in 3 different religions (catholic,hindu,buddhist). I've been off all medication for 11 months now and I feel fine. I'm up at 5:25am on weekday mornings and I go to bed at about 10pm. I busk (singing and playing guitar) in the centre of town and I make balloon animals for the kids going by too. Occasionally I have a 6-pack of beers on Friday but I'll probably give that up.

    The "Goenka Vipassana" group now have a meditation centre in most states. They run a 10-day meditation course, it's 10 days of silence. No talking, no eye contact, no hand signals, no gestures. You meditate in silence for 10 hours per day for 10 days straight. The last meal at 5pm is two pieces of fruit. Lights out at 10pm.

    If I were you, I would:
    1) Sign up for the next 10-day course in a centre you (Vipassana Meditation)
    2) Keep taking all your meds at your usual dose
    3) When you go do the 10-day course, keep taking Paxil, Lamictal & Lyrica as normal, however try to take as little Klonopin & Belsomra as you can -- the less of these you take, the more will come up.
    4) After you finish the 10-day course, go see your psychiatrist. Tell him you want to wean off all psychiatric medication steadily over the course of 8 weeks. (I think 8 weeks is just perfect -- that's what I did), I came of Escitalopram like this (Start Dose: 20mg, Week 1: 17.5mg, Week 2: 15mg, Week 3: 12.5mg, Week 4: 10mg, Week 5: 7.5mg, Week 6: 5mg, Week 7: 2.5mg, Week 8: 0mg).
    5) Then if you really want to put the icing on the cake, go do the meditation course again when you're off all medication.

    As for the Delatestryl, well that's actually for something medical so I'd keep taking it.

    If you're looking for something to do in the meantime until you go to the 10-day meditation course, I'd do lots of yoga.

  21. #21
    Nogbad the bad is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    256
    Apart from having them at times,i know jack shit about psychological issues,but what i do know,is exercise is just about
    the best anti depressant i'm aware of,so whatever you decide to do,keep on pushing those plates!

  22. #22
    brazilian10's Avatar
    brazilian10 is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    A-R-T
    Posts
    162
    Medications, especially psychiatric meds affect everybody differently. For example, I have two friends who are/were taking Prozac , one got fitter than ever, prozac increased his energy levels, thus was able to hit the gym harder, gain muscle, lose weight/lower bf%, etc. On the other hand my other friend felt very lethargic on the med, gained weight and even develop gynecomastia . Everybody is different. What you can maybe do is assess and compare how the meds affected your desire to hit the gym as well the physical changes pre and post each med usage? As a RN, I see many people who are on psychiatric meds similar to those you've mentioned and they come in variety of sizes. When starting my career it was interesting to see the large amount of muscle guys who are on anti-psychotics/psychiatric meds, which you shouldn't feel ashamed! It is quite common.

    Hope that helped a bit <3

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •