F40
    F40 is offline Junior Member

Static holds for forearms.

Frustrated with the lack of growth on my forearms (I've got a good back and biceps) At the end of a workout, I've started grabbing the bar, loading bodyweight and trying to hold onto it for as long as I can until the abr is literally about to drop out of my hands...

Will it help thicken my forearms....

Do static reps work?

PS. Off Topic - I don't want "isolate" any part of my calves BUT is there any way of emphasising the inner part during normal calf raises...?

PLEASE HELP.

KeyMastur is offline VET
    It will help develop grip strength, yes. As for an increase in size, I think that contraction of the muscle would increase size quicker :forearm curls, reverse forearm curls, plus a few more I can try to describe if needed.

palme is offline Rosie Member
    Key is right your traning your grip not your forearms (directly). The exercises he said and heavy traning will get your forearms big.

saboudian is offline Senior Member
    I just started this type of grip training a couple weeks ago. I really started training for grip but my forearms are getting pretty frickin sore, i'm not really sure what effect it will have on forearm size yet, but i wouldn't doubt it if it worked better than training forearms directly.

As of lately, i've been doing farmer walks with the biggest frickin DB's i can find or i'll strap on a few 45's and try to hang on to a chinup bar, i try to use various grips if i can.

F40
    F40 is offline Junior Member
    Saboudian - can you elaborate on this 'farmer walk' please?

Although there is no specific contraction of the muscle in a static hold my forearms feel pumped at the end of the 'set.' You guys think that perhaps I should not interpret this is a stimulus for growth.....

saboudian is offline Senior Member
    Farmer Walk- Find the 2 biggest DB's you can find, pick em up and carry them as far as you can till you drop them, i usually do a few sets at the end of my workout

I mainly started doing this extra grip work because my back could handle more weight than my forearms could on deadlift, but hell my forearms are gettin pretty damn sore. If you really are concerned about forearm growth, i wouldn't drop the grip work, i would just alternate the grip workouts with direct forearm exercises.

Thread Information