Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By JoeyToronto
  • 1 Post By MuscleScience
  • 1 Post By Obs
  • 1 Post By Nogbad the bad

Thread: Rest periods between sets

JoeyToronto is offline Junior Member

Rest periods between sets

Previously I've come on her asking advice on how make shoulders and biceps bigger as I noticed a slow progress in size development. I was following a program which consisted of heavy weight with longer rest periods (3-4 mins). But then watched Hunter Lambrada Youtube which he said his rest periods are less than 90 seconds (1.5 mins). So I did just that and cut my rest times in 1/2 and noticed an improvement. So if anyone else has the same issue, try cutting your rest periods to less than 90 seconds which is ideal for hypertrophy.

General Fitness: 1-2 sets, 8-15 reps, 30-90 sec rest
    Muscular Endurance: 2-3 sets, 12 or more reps, 30 sec or less rest
    Hypertrophy: 3-6 sets, 6-12 reps, 30-90 sec rest
    Strength: 2-6 sets, 6 or fewer reps, 2-5 min rest

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    It varies for everyone and what your goals are. The main thing is the muscle replenishing itself with glycogen and remove lactic acid in the muscle cell. That will vary based on genetics and overall conditioning.
    “If you can't explain it to a second grader, you probably don't understand it yourself.” Albert Einstein

"Juice slow, train smart, it's a long journey."
    BG

"In a world full of pussies, being a redneck is not a bad thing."
    OB

Body building is a way of life..........but can not get in the way of your life.
    BG

No Source Check Please, I don't know of any.

Depressed? Healthy Way Out!

Tips For Young Lifters

MuscleScience Training Log

Couchlock is offline Banned
    5 mins between sets is ridiculous

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Couchlockd View Post
    When I powerlifted, that was what we did. If not longer, but it’s by design for its own purpose.
    songdog likes this.

Obs
    Obs is offline Changed Man
    I like to go a a while between sets. I hammer one out like damn! I will quickly change waits and start timing. I wait anxiously till I get sleepy. Then I take a nap on the bench. I will call a friend and bullshit for a few. Then I need a shower, after all, I did just work out. 'Notha day 'notha set.
    Bewm!
    kronik420 likes this.

BrockBadger is offline Junior Member
    Nice post.. It can vary from those guidelines but well done.

JoeyToronto is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BrockBadger View Post
    Nice post.. It can vary from those guidelines but well done.
    I don't know, it could be the shorter rest times coupled with a new preworkout I'm taking. But I'm noticing improvements. However, I've been stuck at 90lbs per dumb bell for chest press. I've not been able to go higher than that, except for once or twice I was able to lift 95lbs/per dumb bell same with barbell chest press.

Couchlock is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeyToronto View Post
    I don't know, it could be the shorter rest times coupled with a new preworkout I'm taking. But I'm noticing improvements. However, I've been stuck at 90lbs per dumb bell for chest press. I've not been able to go higher than that, except for once or twice I was able to lift 95lbs/per dumb bell same with barbell chest press.
    90s are a lot of weight to chuck around, you gotta get it up, bring it to chest and setup with all that weight in each hand

If some One could hand you bigger DBs when already set and in position, I'm sure you'd be able to get 100s

BrockBadger is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeyToronto View Post
    Previously I've come on her asking advice on how make shoulders and biceps bigger as I noticed a slow progress in size development. I was following a program which consisted of heavy weight with longer rest periods (3-4 mins). But then watched Hunter Lambrada Youtube which he said his rest periods are less than 90 seconds (1.5 mins). So I did just that and cut my rest times in 1/2 and noticed an improvement. So if anyone else has the same issue, try cutting your rest periods to less than 90 seconds which is ideal for hypertrophy.

General Fitness: 1-2 sets, 8-15 reps, 30-90 sec rest
    Muscular Endurance: 2-3 sets, 12 or more reps, 30 sec or less rest
    Hypertrophy: 3-6 sets, 6-12 reps, 30-90 sec rest
    Strength: 2-6 sets, 6 or fewer reps, 2-5 min rest
    Yeah, what couch said could help. If someone hands them to you that changes things and you might be able to do it. But also, like muscular endurance can also create hypertrophy so thats something to think about.

"I don't know, it could be the shorter rest times coupled with a new preworkout I'm taking. But I'm noticing improvements. However, I've been stuck at 90lbs per dumb bell for chest press. I've not been able to go higher than that, except for once or twice I was able to lift 95lbs/per dumb bell same with barbell chest press."

You could try hitting chest more than once a week. But also, work all those ranges because your body adapts after awhile to anything. That's why periodization is important. And I mean anything. In other words, work in blocks of 4-6 weeks then change things up.
    Last edited by BrockBadger; 10-31-2017 at 12:52 AM.

Nogbad the bad is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Obspowerstroke View Post
    I like to go a a while between sets. I hammer one out like damn! I will quickly change waits and start timing. I wait anxiously till I get sleepy. Then I take a nap on the bench. I will call a friend and bullshit for a few. Then I need a shower, after all, I did just work out. 'Notha day 'notha set.
    Bewm!
    There's a few of your pals in my gym..swhy i can't get on the fucking equipment half the time,the bone idle bastards!
    Obs likes this.

Chicagotarsier is offline Senior Member
    Depends on your conditioning and your goals. I do 10 x 10 at 70 percent 1repmax. 60 seconds rest between sets. This is during my 6 weeks GVT twice a year. Off GVT I do 3x10 @80 percent. 45 seconds between sets. So relaxing compared to the 10x10. This is bench work.

My lesser muscles like biceps require 90plus seconds between sets.

Tertiary exercises like shoulder day lateral raises get a bit more time because they are the sixth exercise and I am winded and hurting.

For me any time between sets is ok as long as you don't violate gym ethics.....

You gonna use that bench or fk on your phone all day

Nogbad the bad is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicagotarsier View Post
    Depends on your conditioning and your goals. I do 10 x 10 at 70 percent 1repmax. 60 seconds rest between sets. This is during my 6 weeks GVT twice a year. Off GVT I do 3x10 @80 percent. 45 seconds between sets. So relaxing compared to the 10x10. This is bench work.

My lesser muscles like biceps require 90plus seconds between sets.

Tertiary exercises like shoulder day lateral raises get a bit more time because they are the sixth exercise and I am winded and hurting.

For me any time between sets is ok as long as you don't violate gym ethics.....

You gonna use that bench or fk on your phone all day
    Ha! gym ethics...in the gym i use,there are rules on BIG posters on the walls.
    Use of phones not allowed...i'm about 1 of half a dozen who don't,every fucker else does.No padlocks to be left on lockers overnight,or they
    will be forcibly removed...i'm just about the last one out,every evening...hardly any lockers not padlocked.No gym bags in the exercise area.
    Loads of them accompanying their owners round the equipment...maybe i'm just unlucky to choose a gym where all the village idiots work out!

Ashop is offline Anabolic Member
    I have to agree,,even lifting at my heaviest,,and training for powerlifting my max break was 3 minutes.

Blog Entries
    I personally don't like the muscle I'm working to loose its pump before the next set so my breaks are as long as it take for my training partner to do his set maybe 2 min...

Thread Information