Results 1 to 21 of 21
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Well finally some proof that we shouldn't be exercising soo much

  1. #1
    puffy16 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    71

    Well finally some proof that we shouldn't be exercising soo much (atleast white males

    http://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org...577-3/fulltext

    Results

    We identified 3 distinct PA trajectories: trajectory 1, below PA guidelines (n=1813; 57.1%); trajectory 2, meeting PA guidelines (n=1094; 34.5%); and trajectory 3, 3 times PA guidelines (n=268; 8.4%). Trajectory 3 participants had higher adjusted odds of CAC>0 (adjusted odds ratio [OR], 1.27; 95% CI, 0.95-1.70) vs those in trajectory 1. Stratification by race showed that white participants who engaged in PA 3 times the guidelines had higher odds of developing CAC>0 (OR, 1.80; 95% CI, 1.21-2.67). Further stratification by sex showed higher odds for white males (OR, 1.86; 95% CI, 1.16-2.98), and similar but nonsignificant trends were noted for white females (OR, 1.71; 95% CI, 0.79-3.71). However, no such higher odds of CAC>0 for trajectory 3 were observed for black participants.


    Conclusion

    White individuals who participated in 3 times the recommended PA guidelines over 25 years had higher odds of developing coronary subclinical atherosclerosis by middle age. These findings warrant further exploration, especially by race, into possible biological mechanisms for CAC risk at very high levels of PA.
    Last edited by puffy16; 10-19-2017 at 01:09 PM.

  2. #2
    BrockBadger is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    140
    Quote Originally Posted by puffy16 View Post
    http://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org...577-3/fulltext

    Results

    We identified 3 distinct PA trajectories: trajectory 1, below PA guidelines (n=1813; 57.1%); trajectory 2, meeting PA guidelines (n=1094; 34.5%); and trajectory 3, 3 times PA guidelines (n=268; 8.4%). Trajectory 3 participants had higher adjusted odds of CAC>0 (adjusted odds ratio [OR], 1.27; 95% CI, 0.95-1.70) vs those in trajectory 1. Stratification by race showed that white participants who engaged in PA 3 times the guidelines had higher odds of developing CAC>0 (OR, 1.80; 95% CI, 1.21-2.67). Further stratification by sex showed higher odds for white males (OR, 1.86; 95% CI, 1.16-2.98), and similar but nonsignificant trends were noted for white females (OR, 1.71; 95% CI, 0.79-3.71). However, no such higher odds of CAC>0 for trajectory 3 were observed for black participants.


    Conclusion

    White individuals who participated in 3 times the recommended PA guidelines over 25 years had higher odds of developing coronary subclinical atherosclerosis by middle age. These findings warrant further exploration, especially by race, into possible biological mechanisms for CAC risk at very high levels of PA.
    Nice find. This is to review the actual guidelines: "The Guidelines recommend that adults should do a minimum of 2 hours and 30 minutes, or 30 minutes 5 days a week, of moderate-intensity aerobic activity a week. Health experts recommend this level of activity to reduce the risk of chronic disease later in life." "muscle-strengthening activities on 2 or more days a week that work all major muscle groups (legs, hips, back, abdomen, chest, shoulders, and arms)."

    6 hours and 90 minutes... and 6 days of strength training...

    Thats like 1 hour a day moderate intensity for 7 days plus 30 minutes extra... So one day would be 1 hour and 30 minutes... 6 days of strength training ill assume 1 hour.

    Thats about 2 hours a day every day...

    Thats a lot of cardio and strength training.... The study makes sense... Basically, more exercise isn't always better... I may have to lay off a little.... lol

    Something to think about though is another study which suggest about 6 hours a day of exercise prevents the telomere ends from shrinking the most.

    This supports your find. Something to consider. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2581416/
    Last edited by BrockBadger; 10-21-2017 at 01:43 AM.

  3. #3
    MuscleScience's Avatar
    MuscleScience is online now AR-Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    ShredVille
    Posts
    11,333
    Blog Entries
    6
    Chronic oxidative stress has been something talked about in the exercise phys literature. Basically in the 90’s and 2000’s a alarming amount of elite level runners from tr 70’s and 80’s started dropping dead from CAD which put them in there late 40’s and 50’s. The thought was that due to the increased amount of reactive oxygen species (free radicals) produced as a byproduct of aerobic exercise. These reactive oxygen molecules were floating around oxidizing and damaging tissues. Oxygen is a highly reactive chemical and for most forms of primitive life, is very toxic.

    Because these athletes bodies was producing chronically high levels of these free radicals, they were at a similar or in some studies even, at a higher risk than sedintary adults at developing heart disease.
    If you can't explain it to a second grader, you probably don't understand it yourself. Albert Einstein

    "Juice slow, train smart, it's a long journey."
    BG

    "In a world full of pussies, being a redneck is not a bad thing."
    OB

    No Source Check Please, I don't know of any.


    Depressed? Healthy Way Out!

    Tips For Young Lifters


    MuscleScience Training Log

  4. #4
    Obspowerstroke's Avatar
    Obspowerstroke is online now "Convert Emotion to Willpower"
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    7,819
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by MuscleScience View Post
    Chronic oxidative stress has been something talked about in the exercise phys literature. Basically in the 90’s and 2000’s a alarming amount of elite level runners from tr 70’s and 80’s started dropping dead from CAD which put them in there late 40’s and 50’s. The thought was that due to the increased amount of reactive oxygen species (free radicals) produced as a byproduct of aerobic exercise. These reactive oxygen molecules were floating around oxidizing and damaging tissues. Oxygen is a highly reactive chemical and for most forms of primitive life, is very toxic.

    Because these athletes bodies was producing chronically high levels of these free radicals, they were at a similar or in some studies even, at a higher risk than sedintary adults at developing heart disease.
    Hotter the flame the faster it consumes. I don't see it as scientifically explained but rather a given law.

    What if we all have a predetermined amout of energy we can expend before death? Such as a candle...
    Burning you candle at both ends = improper medical maitenance.
    I believe we all have a final expenditure total. Are you fast and hard or slow and steady? I also dont think we control it much at all in the grand scheme.

  5. #5
    MuscleScience's Avatar
    MuscleScience is online now AR-Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    ShredVille
    Posts
    11,333
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Obspowerstroke View Post
    Hotter the flame the faster it consumes. I don't see it as scientifically explained but rather a given law.

    What if we all have a predetermined amout of energy we can expend before death? Such as a candle...
    Burning you candle at both ends = improper medical maitenance.
    I believe we all have a final expenditure total. Are you fast and hard or slow and steady? I also dont think we control it much at all in the grand scheme.
    There is a universal limit on cardiac muscle and how many times it can beat before failure. I think the number is like 2 billion beats. Pretty much goes for all higher organisms.
    If you can't explain it to a second grader, you probably don't understand it yourself. Albert Einstein

    "Juice slow, train smart, it's a long journey."
    BG

    "In a world full of pussies, being a redneck is not a bad thing."
    OB

    No Source Check Please, I don't know of any.


    Depressed? Healthy Way Out!

    Tips For Young Lifters


    MuscleScience Training Log

  6. #6
    Obspowerstroke's Avatar
    Obspowerstroke is online now "Convert Emotion to Willpower"
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    7,819
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by MuscleScience View Post
    There is a universal limit on cardiac muscle and how many times it can beat before failure. I think the number is like 2 billion beats. Pretty much goes for all higher organisms.
    Well fuck...
    I will be leaving y'all soon.
    Don't have a beer for me. Take a gram of tren per week for 16 weeks in honor of me and jerk off to dp once in a while and think about my ugly face.

  7. #7
    charger69's Avatar
    charger69 is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    1,372
    Quote Originally Posted by Obspowerstroke View Post
    Well fuck...
    I will be leaving y'all soon.
    Don't have a beer for me. Take a gram of tren per week for 16 weeks in honor of me and jerk off to dp once in a while and think about my ugly face.
    Obs- no more EC stacks!

  8. #8
    Obspowerstroke's Avatar
    Obspowerstroke is online now "Convert Emotion to Willpower"
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    7,819
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by charger69 View Post
    Obs- no more EC stacks!
    Lmfao! If you only knew how much I had a few hours ago!

  9. #9
    tarmyg's Avatar
    tarmyg is online now Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Bangalore, India
    Posts
    4,707
    Blog Entries
    162
    Like anything more is not always better and this should seem obvious to most but not something we always live by. From a personal perspective, I know my level of training is not, necessarily, healthy but the purpose is not health, it's to become the best.

  10. #10
    MuscleScience's Avatar
    MuscleScience is online now AR-Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    ShredVille
    Posts
    11,333
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Obspowerstroke View Post
    Well fuck...
    I will be leaving y'all soon.
    Don't have a beer for me. Take a gram of tren per week for 16 weeks in honor of me and jerk off to dp once in a while and think about my ugly face.
    What I was saying is Your assumption was pretty much spot on. And of course my example was just one aspect within your expenditure analogy. Another is how people who eat a calorically restricted diet typically will live longer than those that gorge.
    If you can't explain it to a second grader, you probably don't understand it yourself. Albert Einstein

    "Juice slow, train smart, it's a long journey."
    BG

    "In a world full of pussies, being a redneck is not a bad thing."
    OB

    No Source Check Please, I don't know of any.


    Depressed? Healthy Way Out!

    Tips For Young Lifters


    MuscleScience Training Log

  11. #11
    MuscleScience's Avatar
    MuscleScience is online now AR-Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    ShredVille
    Posts
    11,333
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Obspowerstroke View Post
    Well fuck...
    I will be leaving y'all soon.
    Don't have a beer for me. Take a gram of tren per week for 16 weeks in honor of me and jerk off to dp once in a while and think about my ugly face.
    It’s kinda like how in a country and or western song, they talk about burning your candle at both ends. Everyone is born with only so much candle to burn.
    Last edited by MuscleScience; 10-20-2017 at 12:32 AM. Reason: Fuck me in the goat ass, fucking auto correct
    If you can't explain it to a second grader, you probably don't understand it yourself. Albert Einstein

    "Juice slow, train smart, it's a long journey."
    BG

    "In a world full of pussies, being a redneck is not a bad thing."
    OB

    No Source Check Please, I don't know of any.


    Depressed? Healthy Way Out!

    Tips For Young Lifters


    MuscleScience Training Log

  12. #12
    kelkel's Avatar
    kelkel is offline HRT Specialist ~ AR-Hall of Famer ~ No Source Checks
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    East Coast Dungeon
    Posts
    25,194
    Quote Originally Posted by MuscleScience View Post
    There is a universal limit on cardiac muscle and how many times it can beat before failure. I think the number is like 2 billion beats. Pretty much goes for all higher organisms.

    Guess that means I'm running out soon. Great.
    -*- NO SOURCE CHECKS -*-

  13. #13
    songdog's Avatar
    songdog is online now ARs TOP DOG ~ MONITOR ~
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    13,482
    Quote Originally Posted by MuscleScience View Post
    Chronic oxidative stress has been something talked about in the exercise phys literature. Basically in the 90’s and 2000’s a alarming amount of elite level runners from tr 70’s and 80’s started dropping dead from CAD which put them in there late 40’s and 50’s. The thought was that due to the increased amount of reactive oxygen species (free radicals) produced as a byproduct of aerobic exercise. These reactive oxygen molecules were floating around oxidizing and damaging tissues. Oxygen is a highly reactive chemical and for most forms of primitive life, is very toxic.

    Because these athletes bodies was producing chronically high levels of these free radicals, they were at a similar or in some studies even, at a higher risk than sedintary adults at developing heart disease.
    Thanx MS you took the words right out of my mouth :/

  14. #14
    puffy16 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by MuscleScience View Post
    Chronic oxidative stress has been something talked about in the exercise phys literature. Basically in the 90’s and 2000’s a alarming amount of elite level runners from tr 70’s and 80’s started dropping dead from CAD which put them in there late 40’s and 50’s. The thought was that due to the increased amount of reactive oxygen species (free radicals) produced as a byproduct of aerobic exercise. These reactive oxygen molecules were floating around oxidizing and damaging tissues. Oxygen is a highly reactive chemical and for most forms of primitive life, is very toxic.

    Because these athletes bodies was producing chronically high levels of these free radicals, they were at a similar or in some studies even, at a higher risk than sedintary adults at developing heart disease.

    I am curious where did you read about Oxidative stress in the article? I read the whole article and couldn't find any indication of oxidative stress and only one mention of word stress at all when referring to heart rate.

  15. #15
    Couchlockd is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    2,737
    Newbs don't need to hear this.

    Exersize to your hearts content. It makes you live longer., period.

    There are exceptions, but this is going to be a mental hurdle for those first starting out when they lack motivation and energy due to new diet and lifestyle till their bodies adjust

    "I'm,a bit tired today, don't feel like cardio/lifting, but hey that's ok, too much can kill me"......

  16. #16
    BrockBadger is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    140
    Quote Originally Posted by Couchlockd View Post
    Newbs don't need to hear this.

    Exersize to your hearts content. It makes you live longer., period.

    There are exceptions, but this is going to be a mental hurdle for those first starting out when they lack motivation and energy due to new diet and lifestyle till their bodies adjust

    "I'm,a bit tired today, don't feel like cardio/lifting, but hey that's ok, too much can kill me"......
    Yeah this is true... I mean realistically most are not even close to the physical activity recommendations... much less twice as much, much less as 3 times as much. This is just for the die-hard no pun intended...

  17. #17
    BrockBadger is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    140
    Quote Originally Posted by MuscleScience View Post
    Chronic oxidative stress has been something talked about in the exercise phys literature. Basically in the 90s and 2000s a alarming amount of elite level runners from tr 70s and 80s started dropping dead from CAD which put them in there late 40s and 50s. The thought was that due to the increased amount of reactive oxygen species (free radicals) produced as a byproduct of aerobic exercise. These reactive oxygen molecules were floating around oxidizing and damaging tissues. Oxygen is a highly reactive chemical and for most forms of primitive life, is very toxic.

    Because these athletes bodies was producing chronically high levels of these free radicals, they were at a similar or in some studies even, at a higher risk than sedintary adults at developing heart disease.
    Excellent example on this subject.

  18. #18
    MuscleScience's Avatar
    MuscleScience is online now AR-Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    ShredVille
    Posts
    11,333
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by puffy16 View Post
    I am curious where did you read about Oxidative stress in the article? I read the whole article and couldn't find any indication of oxidative stress and only one mention of word stress at all when referring to heart rate.
    It wasn’t, it’s just a controversial theory in the exercise phys scientific literature as a proposed mechanism for why extreme endurance athletes drop dead early.
    If you can't explain it to a second grader, you probably don't understand it yourself. Albert Einstein

    "Juice slow, train smart, it's a long journey."
    BG

    "In a world full of pussies, being a redneck is not a bad thing."
    OB

    No Source Check Please, I don't know of any.


    Depressed? Healthy Way Out!

    Tips For Young Lifters


    MuscleScience Training Log

  19. #19
    Chicagotarsier is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Asia but not Asian.
    Posts
    1,549
    I personally think the highest item on the flagpole for CAD is genetics.

    In the words of Ricky Bobby:

    Lucius Washington: You're not gonna live forever.

    Ricky Bobby: No one lives forever, no one. But with advances in modern science and my high level income, it's not crazy to think I can live to be 245, maybe 300. Heck, I just read in the newspaper that they put a pig heart in some guy from Russia. Do you know what that means?

    Lucius Washington: No, I don't know what that means. I guess longer life.

    Ricky Bobby: No, he didn't live. It's just exciting that we're trying things like that

  20. #20
    Chicagotarsier is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Asia but not Asian.
    Posts
    1,549
    Quote Originally Posted by MuscleScience View Post
    It wasn’t, it’s just a controversial theory in the exercise phys scientific literature as a proposed mechanism for why extreme endurance athletes drop dead early.
    Doctors in general are ANTI IGF. Anything that raises IGF is evil to them. They focus on the incurable items like cancer as the focus of life. Anything to avoid the cancer has to be good right.

    Ask Bolo Yeung how much high IGF impacted him as an elite bodybuilder and later life living. He is still kicking and living a good life.

    Everyone in the world has to have something that makes them relevant. Clucking about Oxidative Stress gets research students money from groups that benefit from treatment surrounding Oxadative Stress. We are back to Big Pharma...any questions?

  21. #21
    Obspowerstroke's Avatar
    Obspowerstroke is online now "Convert Emotion to Willpower"
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    7,819
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicagotarsier View Post
    Doctors in general are ANTI IGF. Anything that raises IGF is evil to them. They focus on the incurable items like cancer as the focus of life. Anything to avoid the cancer has to be good right.

    Ask Bolo Yeung how much high IGF impacted him as an elite bodybuilder and later life living. He is still kicking and living a good life.

    Everyone in the world has to have something that makes them relevant. Clucking about Oxidative Stress gets research students money from groups that benefit from treatment surrounding Oxadative Stress. We are back to Big Pharma...any questions?
    I don't know much about a lot of the oxidative stress but...
    MONEY

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •