Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Couchlock
  • 1 Post By Couchlock

Thread: One Rep Max Charts

Chicagotarsier is offline Senior Member

One Rep Max Charts

Pushing my way up the bench press chart and am stunned there is not a realistic one rep max chart for over 300 lbs. Example, 315 x 10 says you should be able to 1RM 420 lbs...I cannot even get 360 off the rack haha. I am coming to suspect people lie about their bench weight so much it gets translated into statistics.

I am still on my way to having three plates on each side (315) for 10 reps. My ultimate goal is to raw rep 405 one time for video documentation. My questions

1. At what level of weight repped 10 times would be realistic to shoot for the 420 one time?
    2. I have to use a Smith Machine for heavy lifts. Nobody in the gym can even deadlift 300 (Asian people). How will this impact the 405? Seem heavier or lighter? I have no 1RM experience since high school.

cousinmuscles is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Most 1 rep max calculators are based on scientific studies of trained athletes. They do seem off depending on what you have been training the last couple months maybe years too. If you train at the ~10 rep range you will excel at that range and the 1 rep max calculator will be a little off. If you train at the 1-3 rep range you will excel at that and you probably won't be able to do do many reps in the 70-80% range as the calculator says!

Chicagotarsier is offline Senior Member
    The "dudes at the gym are discussing if 250x3 or 210 x 10 is stronger.

My two cents is until you reach 315 range you are still intermediate and no one is truly stronger. As you progress past 315 to the 405 level you are then "strong" and the difference in training really starts to show..reps vs weight.

My opinion hurt their feelings and the conversation turned to next week's 20K run. They arent serious enough with the weights IMHO.

Couchlock is offline Banned
    After 1st rep, add 10lbs to every one after,

So for 315 at 10x that's 90 lbs on top of 315. Pretty accurate

If your able to get 315 a few times, you should be able to unrack 360

The real testament to strength, is how much over your body weight are you getting?

A guy that's 240, prepping 275 5 times, or a guy 150 prepping 250 5 times.
    Obs likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Couchlockd View Post
    The real testament to strength, is how much over your body weight are you getting?

A guy that's 240, prepping 275 5 times, or a guy 150 prepping 250 5 times.
    Pretty much imho.once you double body weight on bench press, you have arrived. You then become a double agent, and the appropriate tattoo should follow

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk
    Obs likes this.

Thread Information