Big EZ is offline New Member

Typical Week of Training

Hey guys, looking for any suggestions on optimizing this workout (or change up ideas). Primary focus is full body strength and muscle gains:

Chest and Triceps
    Bench 5X5 - try to get last set up to 80-90% to get highest pump possible
    Incline bench or incline dumbell bench 3X10-12 at roughly 70% effort
    Barbell or dumbell skull crushers 3X10-12
    Chest cable press 3x10-12
    Tricep ext using dumbell or cables "super set/rapid fire" 5X10 increasing resistance each set

Legs
    Squat 5X5 - try to get last set up to 80-90% to get highest pump possible
    Leg Press 3X10-12
    Hamstring/glute machine 3X10-12
    Step ups 3X10-12
    Leg curls 3X10-12

Back and biceps
    Deadlifts 5X5 - try to get last set up to 80-90% to get highest pump possible
    Back ext 3X10-12
    Bent over row 3X10-12
    Bicep curl dumbell and/or barbell 3X10-12
    Upper back row/lat pulldown 3X10-12

Shoulders and traps
    Shoulder press 5X5 - try to get last set up to 80-90% to get highest pump possible
    Dumbell press 3X10-12
    3 way shoulder 3X10-12
    Shoulder shrugs 3X20
    super set/rapid fire shoulder press machine 5X10

This and hiking/runs for cardio once or twice a week to burn some calories.

Anyone know a good transition or can point me in the right direction?

GearHeaded is offline BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by Big EZ View Post
    Hey guys, looking for any suggestions on optimizing this workout (or change up ideas). Primary focus is full body strength and muscle gains:

Chest and Triceps
    Bench 5X5 - try to get last set up to 80-90% to get highest pump possible
    sorry bro, I only read this far and had to stop . doing a bench press set at 90% of your 1RM does not in any way give you the highest pump possible !!

how long have you been training seriously ? how long have you been doing versions of 5x5 ?

your about to learn what getting the highest pump possible really means, and once you do it you'll realize what you been missing out on (and thats coming from a guy that does like his heavy triples.. but fuk no way not for the pump)

Big EZ is offline New Member
    Apologies.. I've lifted by myself since varsity football in high school so I don't really throw out these terms or "talk the talk" too often.
    Rephrase - the 5X5 is usually just a "fast twitch" set or whatever you would call it where I test myself from the previous week. The first sets are more or less a warm up until I reach the last couple of sets where I try to get as high as 90% or higher if I just feel it that day (I may get 1 or 10.. it's just how I gauge myself from previous week in hopes that it's gone up. It's probably wrong, but in my defense I try to switch up at times with pyramids, triples, or anything I can find lol). I try to use the rest of the workout for hypertrophy and overall strength gains.. maybe I'm still using my terms wrong, but that's how I've understood it.

Thread Information