Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Zach151288
  • 1 Post By BenTren
  • 3 Post By ScotchGuard02

Thread: Tricep training question. Help

Realgear1226 is offline Junior Member

Tricep training question. Help

I've got a question about training tris. I switch up my tricep routine and have fairly decent arm size for my over all size 5'10" 212lbs, people always ask what I do for arms. I've been throwing shirts away lately because arms won't fit the sleeves anymore but nothing I do makes my tris sore post workout. I'm 39, been training for 22 years, run Test full time and just finished a Tren cycle about 2 weeks ago. My current tri workout is cable press down with vbar 3 sets, 6 sets of over head tricep extension, and 3 sets of reverse grip single hand extensions. I've tried close grip bench, but just don't seem to get anywhere with it, no real pump, and most of the intensity feels like it's in my anterior deltoid. Back when I was natty 4 weeks on with a break one week on arms seemed to work wonders but not the case anymore. Also I usually do drop sets to failure with a rep range right around 12. Do I need more volume, more intensity, am I fucking crazy? What should I try?

Zach151288 is offline New Member
    Go old school with the skull crushers lol. Nothing like working that long head of the muscle.
    Realgear1226 likes this.

BenTren is offline Banned
    Cable ropes push down then straight to cables overhead, always seem to get a crazy pump with that.
    Realgear1226 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Realgear1226 View Post
    I've got a question about training tris. I switch up my tricep routine and have fairly decent arm size for my over all size 5'10" 212lbs, people always ask what I do for arms. I've been throwing shirts away lately because arms won't fit the sleeves anymore but nothing I do makes my tris sore post workout. I'm 39, been training for 22 years, run Test full time and just finished a Tren cycle about 2 weeks ago. My current tri workout is cable press down with vbar 3 sets, 6 sets of over head tricep extension, and 3 sets of reverse grip single hand extensions. I've tried close grip bench, but just don't seem to get anywhere with it, no real pump, and most of the intensity feels like it's in my anterior deltoid. Back when I was natty 4 weeks on with a break one week on arms seemed to work wonders but not the case anymore. Also I usually do drop sets to failure with a rep range right around 12. Do I need more volume, more intensity, am I fucking crazy? What should I try?
    There are 3 variable is exercise. Intensity, duration, and specificity. Change one of those and you have a new workout. I'm very similar to you in that I just don't get sore anymore from my workouts. So sometimes I have to do a crazy workout to get sore. Here is my recommendation for a tricep workout.

1. Cable Pull-Downs (cable not v-bar, keep the motion really strict. NEVER move your elbows)
    Complex 1: x 2 sets Do the entire sequence with no rest.
    weight 1 x 10 reps (heaviest weight you can handle for 10 reps)
    weight 2 x 10 reps (1 plate lighter on the pull down machine)
    weight 3 x 10 reps (1 plate lighter on the pull down machine)
    weight 4 x 10 reps (1 plate lighter on the pull down machine)
    weight 5 x 10 reps (1 plate lighter on the pull down machine)

Tricep Push Up on Bench
    1. Place your hands shoulder width apart on the edge (long edge of the bench) of the bench.
    2. Move your feet away from the bench so that the crown of your head is directly over the bench.
    4. Keeping your body rigid, bend only your elbows (load is 100% on the triceps) until your forehead hits the edge of the bench.
    5. Keeping your body rigid, straighten your elbows so your return back to your original push up position.

Prone Dumbbell Kick Backs
    1. Lie face down on the bench.
    2. Bring the dumbbells into the kick back position with your elbow at your side and your hands hanging 90 to your elbow.
    3. Keeping your elbows perfectly stationary, raise the dumbbells slowly so your forearms are parallel to your body.

Complex x 2 sets (heaviest weight you can handle for 10 reps)
    Tricep Push Up on Bench x 10 reps & Prone Dumbbell Kick Backs x 10 reps

Complex 3 x 2 sets
    Skull Crushers (75% of 1RM x AMRAP) & Body Weight Dips (AMRAP) go to complete failure on both exercises

Have fun.

Realgear1226 is offline Junior Member
    I'll give that try, I really appreciate your time.

Thread Information