Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Test Monsterone

Thread: Am i pushing too much for hypertrophy?

kbunyan is offline Associate Member

Am i pushing too much for hypertrophy?

Been doing one muscle group a day. Aiming for 20+ sets. Arms went from 14" to 16". But i have been getting fever constantly.

Slow down ? Or body will get used to it ?

PeanutbutterDC is offline Female Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kbunyan View Post
    Been doing one muscle group a day. Aiming for 20+ sets. Arms went from 14" to 16". But i have been getting fever constantly.

Slow down ? Or body will get used to it ?
    I doubt fever is related to training

Mr.BB is offline Anabolic Member
    Fever is a sign of infection, don't know why does this belong in training.
    If you got a fever don't train.

Fiskevatten is offline Member
    As far as I have been tought, your immune system takes a hit for a while when you train, especially hard/ to hypertrophy.
    So if you had bacteria/ virus present, it's more likely to get a grip on you if your body is fatigue.
    So yes, fever can be a sign that you are pushing too hard in my opinion, since you say it happens constantly.

Your immune system will strengthen with training, sleep and a good diet, but that happens when the body get a chance to do so.

I saw a great video from Athlean-x that compared training with bbq a steak. To little it's raw, too much is burned - same goes for your muscles.
    Train like a maniac, but give your body a chance to catch up as well.

Test Monsterone is offline Anabolic Member
    In other languages "muscle fever" is used to mean lactic acid buildup. If you think about it, it does feel like muscle fever. It burns.

My recommendation is that if you feel moderately-significantly sore, don't go to the gym. Do some cardio or light abs. You grow best when you take a couple of days off. Sometimes I train 2 or 3 days in a row, rotating body parts, but then I take off 2 or 3 days. I have found this to be the best way to grow and to pass plateaus. Taking 1 week off every couple of months is also a good idea. I've been training 17 years and have gone through overtraining to come to this realization.

Edit: 20 sets is about right. That's 5 sets of 4 exercises, or 4 sets of 5 exercises. Maybe 16 would be better for you. I try to do at least 4 exercises with 4 sets for each.
    Last edited by Test Monsterone; 08-13-2018 at 09:18 PM.
    Mma67 likes this.

Kay kay is offline Associate Member
    Blog Entries
    I used to train with the volume you do. Now I spend 2 weeks at 8 sets per bodypart, then the next 4-6 working upto 12-16 sets per, then repeat.

This has made a big difference and been very beneficial.

ALWAYS cycle your training, never do the same amounts of sets day in day out for months

Thread Information