BigGreen is offline Anabolic Member

What Can GVT Tell Us About the Composition of our Muscle Groups?

For anyone who has undertaken German Volume Training, I suspect you've noticed a distinct difference in the manner that different muscle groups are able to accomodate this type of load. Myself, for example, I have an incredibly difficult time getting my chest to handle even 50-55% of 1RM for the 10x10 while adhering to the strict 60 second rest. Same with quads and biceps. My delts, calves, and hamstrings are a different story altogether, as I can get fairly close to 70-75% 1RM and still complete the workload. Triceps, back, and traps all seem to fall somewhere in the middle.

Assuming other people have noticed similar discrepancies between bodyparts, what can our muscle groups' responses to GVT tell us about their fiber composition, or, more importantly, the most efficient way to train that particular group? Would my delts and calves (given their extreme on the GVT scale) benefit from a distinctly different form of training than chest and biceps, which are on the exact opposite end of that spectrum? If so, what approaches would correlate with which end of that spectrum?

solidj55 is offline Member
    Good post/question, I would like to hear some thoughts.

No One???

Quote Originally Posted by solidj55
    No One???
    Yeah, I was hoping for at least some speculation. This is really right up Warrior's alley, but I believe he's more or less "off" for at least another month or more.

So did you like GVT Big Green??? What kind of results did you get from it and how long did you stay on it??? This is a routine I have wanted to try for years but never had the balls to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by solidj55
    So did you like GVT Big Green??? What kind of results did you get from it and how long did you stay on it??? This is a routine I have wanted to try for years but never had the balls to do it.
    To be honest, I don't feel comfortable commenting on GVT as it may or may not be effective on its own. As i've currently been using it, I employ it as one segment of a cyclical rotation of workout schemes that vary from workout to workout. For example, I'll undertake a GVT workout for chest workout A. For chest workout B I'll use a traditional approach of two compound movements followed by two supporting movements. Workout C involves a more "shocking" undertaking, usually tri-sets, drop sets, forced reps, strip sets, etc, etc.

What I can say is that it has served me VERY well in that capacity, though I don't know that I would ever utilize it solo. I do believe that for some bodyparts (quads especially) the routine is incredible...there's nothing like ten sets of consecutive squats with only 60 seconds worth of rest in between to wake your legs right up.

someday is offline Member
    Though I'm not in any way shape or form an expert, I think it might have to do with the two different types of muscle fiber. I believe theres fast and slow twitch. One is for short periods of strength one for more endurance.
    I would speculate that since you are, in a sense, doing light weight high reps on your legs by walking around everyday the fiber composition or at least ratio of fast to slow twitch fibers is different than the other muscle groups which...in reality dont get used all that much during a day. Like i said im no expert but it kinda makes sense right? Then again i could just be full of shit.

Thread Information