hybrid is offline Member

Deadlift question

Hey guys, help me out with deadlift form.

When I do deadlifts, I never drop the bar from the top of the lift. I always slowly reverse the motion and lower it to the floor. I even do this on heavier sets. On these heavier sets, I do put the barbell down on the ground and quickly regrip, get my form set and repeat.

Is this the right way? When I am doing heavy sets, it strikes me as somewhat dangerous for my back to be lowering the weight back down slowly. But dropping it doesn't seem proper either. What to do?

Also, when you do deads, how many reps per set do you do?
    I typically do the following:
    135 - 15 reps
    225 - 8 reps
    275 - 6 reps
    315 - 4 reps
    365 - 2 reps

Let me know if I'm doing this exercise right, or if I need to do something different.
    Thanks.

Rich8888 is offline Member
    You are right to slowly lower the bar. If you are using proper form you shouldn't injure yourself with this movement. If you are feeling pain or more strain that normal...than you should STOP and not do the movement. If the movement is causing some discomfort perhaps you are lifting too heavy. Otherwise keep pumping.

R

Adrock is offline Junior Member
    Lowering it slowly is good. I find when I do deadlifts, slowly is relative to the weight being lifted. Lifting heavier weight I usually lower the weight faster than when I am doing lighter weight. Just keep good form and you should be fine. Also you might find yourself in a different position at the end when compared to your starting position. I usually squat down farther when I start the lift and when I stop I am not down that far. But this does not mean you have bad form returning the weight to the floor.

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    You are doing it properly and like Rich said as long as there's no pain or discomfort... keep going. On deadlifts you want to be quick and explosive on the upward part of the lift and slow and controling on the downward part of the lift. Best of luck to ya.

hybrid is offline Member
    Thanks for the help guys. Much appreciated.

Thread Information