• 2 Post By Honkey_Kong
  • 1 Post By Honkey_Kong
  • 2 Post By Mooseman33
  • 3 Post By Honkey_Kong
  • 1 Post By wango
  • 1 Post By Mooseman33
  • 1 Post By Cuz
  • 1 Post By Mooseman33

Thread: 14 lb per month of lockdown (benchpress)

Fluidic Kimbo is offline Morale Officer (de facto)

Angry 14 lb per month of lockdown (benchpress)

Because of lockdown I didn't do benchpress for 4 months straight.

My bench had been 204 lbs before lockdown.

Getting back to the gym after lockdown, my bench was down by 55 lb. So I lost about 14 lb per month from my bench press.

I was hoping that 2020 would be the first year I ever benched 100 kg but that's now pushed forward to this year.

I'm hoping it takes me a lot less than 4 months to regain the strength I lost over those 4 months. If I had a training partner I'd get them to lift the bar out for me for heavy negatives. I might be able to lift out 209 lb by myself for a heavy negative. The bench press station has a safety barrier to stop the bar resting on my chest.

Honkey_Kong is online now Superbowl XLIX Champs!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluidic Kimbo View Post
    Because of lockdown I didn't do benchpress for 4 months straight.

My bench had been 204 lbs before lockdown.

Getting back to the gym after lockdown, my bench was down by 55 lb. So I lost about 14 lb per month from my bench press.

I was hoping that 2020 would be the first year I ever benched 100 kg but that's now pushed forward to this year.

I'm hoping it takes me a lot less than 4 months to regain the strength I lost over those 4 months. If I had a training partner I'd get them to lift the bar out for me for heavy negatives. I might be able to lift out 209 lb by myself for a heavy negative. The bench press station has a safety barrier to stop the bar resting on my chest.
    Dude, I hope you're not even considering using steroids .
    Cuz and BuzzardMarinePumper like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Honkey_Kong View Post
    Dude, I hope you're not even considering using steroids.
    Test P 50mg EOD
    Tren A 150mg EOD
    Dbol 50mg daily (only in the first week)
    Var 80mg daily
    Clen 20mcg daily
    T3 20mcg daily

That would help. I might be done with steroids though. Not sure yet.

Test P 50mg EOD
    Tren A 150mg EOD
    Dbol 50mg daily (only in the first week)
    Var 80mg daily
    Clen 20mcg daily
    T3 20mcg daily

That would help. I might be done with steroids though. Not sure yet.
    Dude benching 100kg is not very much weight. The fact that you can't do it naturally indicates that there is something seriously wrong with your training, diet, ability to rest or a combination of them. I get that you're short, but you've got a lot of room for improvement naturally. I'd stay away from gear, if I were you. At least try to reach some accomplishments without any.

Dude benching 100kg is not very much weight. The fact that you can't do it naturally indicates that there is something seriously wrong with your training, diet, ability to rest or a combination of them. I get that you're short, but you've got a lot of room for improvement naturally. I'd stay away from gear, if I were you. At least try to reach some accomplishments without any.
    Look I know people like to cling to words like ectomorph, endomorph, mesomorph to try rationalise why they are either unwilling or unable to try harder in their hobby of weightlifting, but just to give a little of my own background here:

I'm in my 30's right now, but I've been the same height since I was about 17 or 18. When I started training in Thai boxing at the age of 17, I stood on the weighing scales and it went back and forth between 49 and 50 kilograms (i.e. between 108 -110 lbs). Standing at a height of 5'3", this gave me a BMI of 19.5 (which is just a little bit above the minimum BMI of 18.5 for a healthy person).

I had great success competing in Thai Boxing with a BMI of 19.5, even though ironically all my opponents were a tiny bit taller than me. I was able to do 83 press-up's (which I still think is a pretty decent number).

I never really liked terms like ectomorph, endomorph, mesomorph but if you were gonna adhere one of them to me then I'd go with ectomorph.

So then I started taking steroids when I was 21. I quickly went from 52kg right up to 60kg (almost a 20% increase in bodyweight). Ten years went by and I did steroids on and off while continuing weightlifting. Right now I weigh about 72 - 73 kg, and so this gives me a BMI of 28, so a doctor would classify me as overweight since my BMI is over 25. I'm not staying that I'm built of solid muscle.... I definitely have fat deposits, and lockdown has given me just a tiny bit of a belly, but overall I think I'm in decent shape.

With a BMI of 28, I'm able to run 5km in about 25 minutes. My record for running 5km is around about 22:50, but I was about 5 - 10 kg lighter when I ran that fast. If in the future I were to lose 15 - 20 kg, then I reckon I'd be a very decent runner, and I could probably compete in Thai boxing again, but I think I like being the shape I am, and I like being strong(er). My life isn't all about competitive sport, I do other shit too.

With the shape of my body and how I'm put together as a result of my genetics, puberty, etc., benching 100kg would be quite a feat for me. I'm hoping I pull it off this year.

Today I tried Cuz's idea of heavy negatives for benchpress.

I loaded the bar up to 220 lb, I lifted it out and then I slowly lowered it down to the supporting frame. Then I stood back up, placed the bar back on the stirrup, and did it a few more times. As I became weaker, I reduced the weight. Then at the very end I did a few sets of reps with 85lbs (I was pretty exhausted by then).

My triceps are sore now a half-hour after my workout... I've a feeling I'll be aching tomorrow. I'll be very interested to see how quickly my strength increases.

I loaded the bar up to 220 lb, I lifted it out and then I slowly lowered it down to the supporting frame. Then I stood back up, placed the bar back on the stirrup, and did it a few more times. As I became weaker, I reduced the weight. Then at the very end I did a few sets of reps with 85lbs (I was pretty exhausted by then).

My triceps are sore now a half-hour after my workout... I've a feeling I'll be aching tomorrow. I'll be very interested to see how quickly my strength increases.
    Why don't you load up the bar with 80% of your max using 25 and 10 lb plates on each side only. Work a set to failure and quickly remove a plate, continue to failure, remove a plate until you can't push the bar itself anymore. The key to this is to not have any rest at all after you fail and when you remove a plate. When you finish, rest for 2 minutes and then do it again.
    Hughinn likes this.

Hughinn is offline Banned
    Why don't you load up the bar with 80% of your max using 25 and 10 lb plates on each side only. Work a set to failure and quickly remove a plate, continue to failure, remove a plate until you can't push the bar itself anymore. The key to this is to not have any rest at all after you fail and when you remove a plate. When you finish, rest for 2 minutes and then do it again.
    I've used that method before as well honky.

You're right, it's an ass kicker.

Thanks for bringing it up. I'd forgotten about it and been looking to change things up a little.

For the time being I'll keep going with the heavy negatives at least until I get my bench back to where it was before lockdown. I lost 40lbs of bench strength and I want it back ASAP.

Then I think I might stop doing 1 rep maxes all the time and instead just do a powerlifter workout.

Mooseman33 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    you do not even workout, everyone knows u are full of shit man.

you live in ur head.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooseman33 View Post
    you do not even workout, everyone knows u are full of shit man.

you live in ur head.
    The cocoon of hatred you inhabit is festering a deep smelly wound in your immortal soul

fucking weirdo.

You are in the few that I hate.

hows it feel to know everyone on here knows u are full of shit and do not lift? U keep trying to find a friend, only prox pays u any attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooseman33 View Post
    fucking weirdo.

You are in the few that I hate.

hows it feel to know everyone on here knows u are full of shit and do not lift? U keep trying to find a friend, only prox pays u any attention.
    I have literally posted video evidence that I lift -- actual motion picture (not still frame photography).

Perhaps if you had grown up in a less lack-lustre household then you would have turned out more pleasant.

I have literally posted video evidence that I lift -- actual motion picture (not still frame photography).

Perhaps if you had grown up in a less lack-lustre household then you would have turned out more pleasant.
    You posted a video of you squatting 100kg max after 10 years of doing tren . That's basically not lifting

Great household. I just have a thing about scum who brag about getting their ex to commit suicide. Thats the top of the list, I can continue why I feel the way i do but you we all know how crazy you are. The board needs traffic, u serve a purpose right now.

wango is offline Anabolic Member

Damn, wouldn’t want to that without a spotter, particularly as you get exhausted in the later sets.
    Honkey_Kong likes this.

As I said, Prox and his buddy
    Honkey_Kong likes this.

Cuz
    Cuz is offline VET
    Quote Originally Posted by wango View Post
    Damn, wouldn’t want to that without a spotter, particularly as you get exhausted in the later sets.
    Well, hopefully he is doing it in a squat rack with support braces but i wouldnt put it past him
    Honkey_Kong likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuz View Post
    Well, hopefully he is doing it in a squat rack with support braces but i wouldnt put it past him
    The flat benchpress in my gym has a supporting beam on each side that I can set to an inch above my chest. So even if the bar comes crashing down it will bounch off the support beams.

The flat benchpress in my gym has a supporting beam on each side that I can set to an inch above my chest. So even if the bar comes crashing down it will bounch off the support beams.
    Why don't you just ask somebody to spot you? Or I'm sure there are other people wanting to use the bench too. Why not offer to let them "work in" with you? Then you can spot each other.

Why don't you just ask somebody to spot you? Or I'm sure there are other people wanting to use the bench too. Why not offer to let them "work in" with you? Then you can spot each other.
    I used to occasionally ask for a spot when I lived in Asia but now I just work out by myself. I don't need a spot anymore for two reasons:
    (1) The flat bench in my gym has supporting beams either side; the weight I can lift up out of the stirrup is greater than the weight I can actually lower to my chest and push back up. So I never need to ask anyone to help me lift the bar out.
    (2) If I'm sitting and want to do shoulder dumbells like this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10-Best-Shoulder-Exercises-for-Men-Seated-Dumbbell-Shoulder-Press.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	18.9 KB 
ID:	181122

Then I rest the dumbell on my knee and then I shove my leg upwards to bring the dumbell to the start position. Again, the weight that I can 'knee' up into position is greater than the weight I can push up with my shoulders, so I never need a spot.

These were the only two exercises I ever needed help with. Now I don't need a spot.

Anyway I did chest again 2 days ago, and I did the same thing: I loaded 100kg on the bar, lifted it out of the stirrup, and tried to slowly lower it down to my chest. I was able to do it twice before I was too weak to lift it out of the stirrup. Then I lowered the weight and again did negatives. When I got to 60kg, I did normal bench press for a few sets.

So that's 2 weeks in a row I've done heavy negatives for flat bench. Next week I'm going to do a light warm-up and then put 90kg on the bar and try to do 1 rep with it. (Before lockdown I was able to do 92.5kg).
    af

I used to occasionally ask for a spot when I lived in Asia but now I just work out by myself. I don't need a spot anymore for two reasons:
    (1) The flat bench in my gym has supporting beams either side; the weight I can lift up out of the stirrup is greater than the weight I can actually lower to my chest and push back up. So I never need to ask anyone to help me lift the bar out.
    (2) If I'm sitting and want to do shoulder dumbells like this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10-Best-Shoulder-Exercises-for-Men-Seated-Dumbbell-Shoulder-Press.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	18.9 KB 
ID:	181122

Then I rest the dumbell on my knee and then I shove my leg upwards to bring the dumbell to the start position. Again, the weight that I can 'knee' up into position is greater than the weight I can push up with my shoulders, so I never need a spot.

These were the only two exercises I ever needed help with. Now I don't need a spot.

Anyway I did chest again 2 days ago, and I did the same thing: I loaded 100kg on the bar, lifted it out of the stirrup, and tried to slowly lower it down to my chest. I was able to do it twice before I was too weak to lift it out of the stirrup. Then I lowered the weight and again did negatives. When I got to 60kg, I did normal bench press for a few sets.

So that's 2 weeks in a row I've done heavy negatives for flat bench. Next week I'm going to do a light warm-up and then put 90kg on the bar and try to do 1 rep with it. (Before lockdown I was able to do 92.5kg).
    af
    Ok whatever. But when you don't use the full range of motion, you're only cheating yourself.

Ok whatever. But when you don't use the full range of motion, you're only cheating yourself.
    Dunno what you're talking about here. Are you saying I need a spotter in order to do a full range of motion?

need alot more then a spotter
    Honkey_Kong likes this.

wango is offline Anabolic Member
    Guessing one or both of your shoulders are still completely intact. When that changes your mind-set on chest and shoulder workouts will change regarding ROM.

Thread Information