Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By DinAZ
  • 1 Post By Test Monsterone

Thread: Training rear Delts with ac joint injury?

rise_against is offline Junior Member

Training rear Delts with ac joint injury?

Not sure what I did, possibly tore my ac joint in my right shoulder about 6 months ago. The only thing that really irritates it is any kind of rear delt isolation. I've tried reverse pec deck and reverse cable flies and can't do it. My shoulder clicks and don't want to tear it worse to the point I can't bench press and do overhead movements. Any other exercises that target rear Delts that might be worth trying? Having straight arms seems place a lot of strain on that area.

Also is it worth getting checked out? I figured all they could do would be scope it
    Last edited by rise_against; 08-03-2021 at 10:46 PM.

DinAZ is offline Associate Member
    Fuck ya it is worth getting checked out! 6 months is too long. You could need surgery or maybe just physical therapy but it’s worth finding out so you can plan and move forward.

I know us guys don’t always like to deal with Drs but I’m learning it is just better to get it over with than put it off.
    Cylon357 and rise_against like this.

Test Monsterone is offline Anabolic Member
    I really fucked my shoulder up about 3 years ago. I was doing heavy overhead presses when I initially injured it. I continued to injure it because I kept doing presses for about 4-5 months after, until the pain was too bad to continue. It became a problem when any pressing movement and fly movement hurt. I also felt a click and still do when reaching back far enough. The pain has subsided to almost nothing now. I am careful, though. I rehabbed it by using rubber tubes. I start every workout with the rubber tubes/bands to warm up my joints. I stand on the tubes, hold my arms out to my sides, perpendicular to my body. Then I rotate my arms from the shoulders very slightly. I go in circles. Then I'll do the side raises, and front raises with the bands too. Just lightly, enough to feel a little pump and loosen them up. I slowly built my way up from doing bands on pressing movements to moderate weights. Now I can do what I used to do, but it was very gradual. I never thought the pain would subside, but it has. I still get that pop/click form time to time when doing certain things, and some days I feel a little tinge in my shoulder, so I take it easy on those days. It's never a bad idea to get checked out and make sure you don't have any floating bone fragments, cartilage, or tendon in there. That could cause problems down the road.
    rise_against likes this.

DuckTheViking is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rise_against View Post
    Not sure what I did, possibly tore my ac joint in my right shoulder about 6 months ago. The only thing that really irritates it is any kind of rear delt isolation. I've tried reverse pec deck and reverse cable flies and can't do it. My shoulder clicks and don't want to tear it worse to the point I can't bench press and do overhead movements. Any other exercises that target rear Delts that might be worth trying? Having straight arms seems place a lot of strain on that area.

Also is it worth getting checked out? I figured all they could do would be scope it
    Have you tried rotating your arm from thumbs up to thumbs sideways or even slightly downwards? Maybe there's a rotational angle that feels better?

I partly tore the supraspinatus, many press movements became almost impossible. Rotating the arm in various angles opens and tightens the canals where the tendons run in the shoulder, some angles give me more open canals, let the tendons move more freely, and much less pain.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

AwareXx is offline Junior Member
    I'd get checked out immediately. That sounds too long.

Thread Information